Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trinity 62 Mountain Pointe, AZ 30
Final from the KOB at Fairdale
James Quick's season debut on the basketball court highlighted Trinity High School's 62-30 romp over Phoenix Mountain Pointe on Thursday night in the 32nd annual King of the Bluegrass Holiday Classic at Fairdale.

The Shamrocks, the defending state champions and No. 3 in The Courier-Journal's preseason poll of coaches, got 13 points from Darryl Hicks, 11 from Miles Rice and 10 from DeMarcus Page in a game that merited a running clock after the lead reached 56-21 late in the third quarter.

Quick, a star wide receiver for the Shamrocks' state football champions, had been sidelined after suffering broken ribs late in that season. The 6-foot-2 guard came off the bench to play 16 minutes for Trinity (5-1).

Although he missed all six of his shots, he hit 3 of 5 free throws, grabbed three rebounds, handed out three assists and came up with three of Trinity's 15 steals. The Shamrocks' pressure defense forced Mountain Pointe (2-4) into 25 turnovers, 17 in the first half.

Trinity coach Mike Szabo was glad to see Quick back on court.

"He knows how to win," Szabo said. "He's a competitor and has a lot of heart. We played hard and we played good defense, and then we converted on offense."

Quick, a starter last season, said he was "real excited" to get back on the floor.

"My shot wasn't falling, so I tried to play as much defense as possible," he said. "I'm about 95 percent with my ribs. We're a different team from last year. We have more people who can score this year, so I tried to see the floor."

Szabo said he is excited about the Shamrocks playing defending KOB champion Christ Presbyterian of Nashville, Tenn., at 4:30 today in the quarterfinals. "They're real good," he said.

"We'll have to defend the ball and block out," Quick said. "They have great size."

Mountain Pointe 12 5 6 7 - 30
Trinity 25 21 12 4 - 62

Mountain Pointe (2-4) - Holloway 8, Butler 6, Reyes 3, Ledford 3, Daniels 2, Sullivan 2, Campbell 4, Davis 2.

Trinity (5-1) - Hicks 13, Rice 11, Page 10, Strothman 6, Owens 4, Ivory 3, Quick 3, Thieneman 2, Spalding 6, Levitch 3, Knight-Goff 1.

3-point goals - Holloway 2, Reyes, Ledford, Ivory, Levitch, Rice.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...2312200106
Glad to see James Quick playing finally. The Shamrocks will have their hands full with Christ Presbyterian!
It will be surprising if they can stay within ten points
I think so too
Kinda looks like they want a Ballard/Christ Pres finals based on the "draw"
for sure
CPA 55 Trinity 47.

Close in the first half then CPA opened up a 16 point lead in the second half, Trinity closed it late. James Quick played for the second straight game, last night he was 0-6 and tonight he was 1-6. Pretty much a defensive struggle. CPA is a very good team.