Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville 10- Sheldon Clark 9 57th district championship
Final this was a very good game. Congrats Paintsville on the new district championship!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen - Winston Churchill
CONGRATS TO PAINTSVILLE!!

Good luck to the Tigers and Cards at Regional!
The game was back and forth at the end. SC plated 3 in the 1st and PHS answered with 3 of their own. Then PHS stretched the lead out to 9-3 and SC just chipped away at the lead. Shane Grimm goes the distance for Paintsville and pitched a good game. Shawn Johnson started for SC throwing 0 innings, then Kenneth Todd came in after Todd, came in Braxton Lafferty. Congrats to Paintsville on the win!
Congrats to the Tigers and the SC. Good luck in the region to both teams
Congratulations Coach Howard & our Boys in Blue! It was a great game and both teams will represent the 57th District well!!! Good Luck to both groups of fine young men.:Clap:
Can I safely make the statement that the officiating was extremely poor ? edited by admin

Both played a good game, and as it goes, its really hard to defeat a decent team 3 times.

Good luck in the region to both teams.
Congrats Paintsville!
congrats to the Tigers
When is the pairings for the Region?
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:When is the pairings for the Region?

Sunday I believe
I saw this on the news and it seemed that Paintsville Just put the ball in play and took this one in a great game. Congrats Tigers
Congrats, Tigers! I knew it would be tough for Sheldon Clark to beat Paintsville three times, but they fought hard, and nearly tied it back up! Good luck to both teams next week!
twentythree Wrote:Can I safely make the statement that the officiating was extremely poor ? edited by admin

Both played a good game, and as it goes, its really hard to defeat a decent team 3 times.

Good luck in the region to both teams.

Wouldn't say the officiating was poor, but there were a few calls that were questionable. The Ump behind the plate didn't have a consistant strike zone. Both teams played very well, was a fun game to watch.
The umpire behind the plate was very inconsistent but the calls went both ways. It wasn't a poor officiated game as The Blue Blur said, but there was a few questionable calls. I never knew about the fake tag rule until last night. Very interesting rule, I think.
Pupaw Wrote:The umpire behind the plate was very inconsistent but the calls went both ways. It wasn't a poor officiated game as The Blue Blur said, but there was a few questionable calls. I never knew about the fake tag rule until last night. Very interesting rule, I think.
The fake tag call has always been there for safety purposes, but I have never seen it used. It seemed a little bush. The rule states that you cannot intentionally fake a play in order to decieve the runner. But you never see a pitcher called for it whe faking a pick-off at second.
The Guru Wrote:The fake tag call has always been there for safety purposes, but I have never seen it used. It seemed a little bush. The rule states that you cannot intentionally fake a play in order to decieve the runner. But you never see a pitcher called for it whe faking a pick-off at second.

I didn't hear about the play but I assume the second baseman faked the tag on a runner returning to second base.

Section 22, Art. 2 A fake tag is an act by a defensive player without the ball that simulates a tag. A fake tag is always considered obstruction.

Section 3 Art. 2 When a runner is obstructed while advancing or returning to a base by a fielder who neither has the ball nor is attemption to make a play, or a fielder without the ball fakes a tag, the umpire shall award the obstructed runner and and each other runner affected by the obstruction the bases they would have reached, in his opinion, had there been no obstruction. If the runner achieves the base he was attempting to acquire, then the obstruction is ignored. The obstructed runner is awarded a minimum of one base beyond his position on base when the obstruction occurred. If any preceding runner is forced to advance by the awarding of a base or bases to an obstructed runner, the umpire shall award this preceding runner the necessary base or bases. Malicious contact supersedes obstruction.
(2006 Federation of High Schools Rule Book)

8.3.2 Situation E; (2006 Case Book) R1 who is on first base, attempts to steal second base. (a) F2 does not make a throw or (b) F2 throws the ball into center field. In both cases F6 fakes a tag on R1. RULING: In (a), R1 is awarde second base on the obstruction call. In (b), the umpire shall call a delayed dead ball and award bases that in his judgment the runner would have obtained had the obstruction not occurred. The umpire shall issue a warning to the defensive coach of F6 faking the tag.

After a team has received a warning for a fake tag, the next offender is ejected. I hope this clears up the fake tag issue. :thumpsup:
Thanks, commonsense! I was a bit confused!
commonsense Wrote:8.3.2 Situation E (2006 Case Book) R1 who is on first base, attempts to steal second base. (a) F2 does not make a throw or (b) F2 throws the ball into center field. In both cases F6 fakes a tag on R1. RULING: In (a), R1 is awarde second base on the obstruction call. In (b), the umpire shall call a delayed dead ball and award bases that in his judgment the runner would have obtained had the obstruction not occurred.

Thanks for posting this commonsense. Okay this still comes off as of confusion to me, because it says if a steal is attemped fake tag at second the runner is awarded second base on obstruction call.

Okay scenerio from last night, runners at 1st and 3rd. Runner at first attempts steal, SS covers 2nd, catcher fakes throw and SS fakes the tag. Runner was safe at second already. So the umpire awarded 3rd to stealing runner and runner at third was awarded home. In the ruling is only says runner is awarded second base in the given scenerio. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and second base is meaning as in another base. If that's the case I think it needs to be reworded to runner is awarded to advance to the next base.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Thanks for posting this commonsense. Okay this still comes off as of confusion to me, because it says if a steal is attemped fake tag at second the runner is awarded second base on obstruction call.

Okay scenerio from last night, runners at 1st and 3rd. Runner at first attempts steal, SS covers 2nd, catcher fakes throw and SS fakes the tag. Runner was safe at second already. So the umpire awarded 3rd to stealing runner and runner at third was awarded home. In the ruling is only says runner is awarded second base in the given scenerio. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and second base is meaning as in another base. If that's the case I think it needs to be reworded to runner is awarded to advance to the next base.

I am so in agreement with you BB. I guess it's all in the wording...like the definition of "is"...LOL!!!
commonsense Wrote:I didn't hear about the play but I assume the second baseman faked the tag on a runner returning to second base.

Section 22, Art. 2 A fake tag is an act by a defensive player without the ball that simulates a tag. A fake tag is always considered obstruction.

Section 3 Art. 2 When a runner is obstructed while advancing or returning to a base by a fielder who neither has the ball nor is attemption to make a play, or a fielder without the ball fakes a tag, the umpire shall award the obstructed runner and and each other runner affected by the obstruction the bases they would have reached, in his opinion, had there been no obstruction. If the runner achieves the base he was attempting to acquire, then the obstruction is ignored. The obstructed runner is awarded a minimum of one base beyond his position on base when the obstruction occurred. If any preceding runner is forced to advance by the awarding of a base or bases to an obstructed runner, the umpire shall award this preceding runner the necessary base or bases. Malicious contact supersedes obstruction.
(2006 Federation of High Schools Rule Book)

8.3.2 Situation E; (2006 Case Book) R1 who is on first base, attempts to steal second base. (a) F2 does not make a throw or (b) F2 throws the ball into center field. In both cases F6 fakes a tag on R1. RULING: In (a), R1 is awarde second base on the obstruction call. In (b), the umpire shall call a delayed dead ball and award bases that in his judgment the runner would have obtained had the obstruction not occurred. The umpire shall issue a warning to the defensive coach of F6 faking the tag.

After a team has received a warning for a fake tag, the next offender is ejected. I hope this clears up the fake tag issue. :thumpsup:

So I guess the lil smarty pants did blow the call!!! Unless of course he thought the runners would have reached another base even though the catcher was standing on home plate with the ball in his hand.
Why is it that a rookie ump is allowed to call a dist. tourney game anyway?
Originally Posted by commonsense
8.3.2 Situation E (2006 Case Book) R1 who is on first base, attempts to steal second base. (a) F2 does not make a throw or (b) F2 throws the ball into center field. In both cases F6 fakes a tag on R1. RULING: In (a), R1 is awarde second base on the obstruction call. In (b), the umpire shall call a delayed dead ball and award bases that in his judgment the runner would have obtained had the obstruction not occurred.

Thanks for posting this commonsense. Okay this still comes off as of confusion to me, because it says if a steal is attemped fake tag at second the runner is awarded second base on obstruction call.

From what I read, there was not a throw to second and a tag was faked. By reading the rule book and case book on fake tags this is what most likely should have happened. After the play was over, umpire should have called time, then issued a team warning to whichever team faked the tag. The next offender on that team who fakes a tag is ejected. Since the runner could not have made third even without the tag, I can't see him being awarded third and a run scoring.

I will say that there are always two sides to every story and umpires are usually on top of all situations. I think there is more to this than any of us may know. Which team scored a run on this play anyway?
Does the 15th region winner play the 16th this year in the semi-state? I have seen some good teams here in the 16th and look forward to that playoff if it happens...
well....it would be a fun match up commonsense, but i wouldnt be looking forward to playing any team in the 15th. we are not pushovers.....
commonsense Wrote:Originally Posted by commonsense
8.3.2 Situation E (2006 Case Book) R1 who is on first base, attempts to steal second base. (a) F2 does not make a throw or (b) F2 throws the ball into center field. In both cases F6 fakes a tag on R1. RULING: In (a), R1 is awarde second base on the obstruction call. In (b), the umpire shall call a delayed dead ball and award bases that in his judgment the runner would have obtained had the obstruction not occurred.

Okay scenerio from last night, runners at 1st and 3rd. Runner at first attempts steal, SS covers 2nd, catcher fakes throw and SS fakes the tag. Runner was safe at second already. So the umpire awarded 3rd to stealing runner and runner at third was awarded home. In the ruling is only says runner is awarded second base in the given scenerio. Maybe I'm misunderstanding and second base is meaning as in another base. If that's the case I think it needs to be reworded to runner is awarded to advance to the next base.From what I read, there was not a throw to second and a tag was faked. By reading the rule book and case book on fake tags this is what most likely should have happened. After the play was over, umpire should have called time, then issued a team warning to whichever team faked the tag. The next offender on that team who fakes a tag is ejected. Since the runner could not have made third even without the tag, I can't see him being awarded third and a run scoring.

I will say that there are always two sides to every story and umpires are usually on top of all situations. I think there is more to this than any of us may know. Which team scored a run on this play anyway?
Does the 15th region winner play the 16th this year in the semi-state? I have seen some good teams here in the 16th and look forward to that playoff if it happens...
This wasn't on a steal.....SC had runners on 1st and 2nd, Horn hits to center which scored a run and the runner on firstwent to third, the throw from center went to home and Horn went to second on the throw through. this is when the fake tag came. The catcher had the ball so no way another base was being had by anyone.
This was a god game.
good game for both teams
Paintsville has Prestonsburgh first game in regionals
and S.C has Pikeville
The Guru Wrote:This wasn't on a steal.....SC had runners on 1st and 2nd, Horn hits to center which scored a run and the runner on firstwent to third, the throw from center went to home and Horn went to second on the throw through. this is when the fake tag came. The catcher had the ball so no way another base was being had by anyone.

My bad Ru', for some reason I was thinking it was a steal play. But still the same concept. Catcher didn't throw, and SS faked the tag. Either way blown call from what I've read.