Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butler 66 Pleasure Ridge Park 64
Final
After a near-miss Tuesday, the Butler High School boys' basketball team got the signature victory it was seeking over one of the state's elite teams.

Demetrius McReynolds scored a game-high 21 points and Butler overcame a 15-point deficit in the third quarter to beat rival Pleasure Ridge Park 66-64 in overtime Friday at Valley's new J.C. Cantrell Gymnasium.

The unranked Bears (3-1) lost 61-57 on Tuesday at Bullitt East, which is No. 2 in The Courier-Journal's preseason poll of coaches, but bounced back to knock off the No. 6 Panthers (3-1).

Bears coach Shawn Purlee said he took time to evaluate his team after Tuesday's loss.

"I wanted to see if they had hurt in their eyes, if they were satisfied with competing or if they were mad they lost," he said. "When I recognized they were mad they lost, I thought we'd have a chance to win tonight."

Butler's victory completed a night of upsets at Valley, as the PRP girls got 18 points from Paige Murphy to beat No. 7 and defending Sixth Region champion Butler 56-50. PRP snapped a 15-game losing streak to Butler dating to February 2002.

* Boys' game: Antonio McDaniels' 3-pointer gave the Panthers a 43-28 lead with 5:20 left in the third quarter, and led Purlee to call a timeout.

"We just made the decision since we were having trouble keeping them off the glass ... that we were going to make it a track meet," Purlee said. "Guys off the bench responded, and we got some energy going. The next thing you know you're in the ballgame."

Rashawn Farrell hit back-to-back 3-pointers as Butler closed the quarter with a 10-2 run to pull within 45-38. McReynolds' stepback 3-pointer from the left corner gave Butler a 59-58 lead with 46 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

"We just kept on pushing the ball," McReynolds said. "We have some of the fastest guards in the state."

PRP's Lamontray Harris hit 1 of 2 free throws to tie it at 59 with 34.4 seconds left, and McReynolds missed the front end of a one-and-one with 10.4 seconds remaining, leading to overtime.

Bryce Byrd, who led the Panthers with 18 points, hit a 3-pointer to give PRP a 64-63 lead with 40 seconds left. Monty Harbin answered with a putback to give Butler a 65-64 lead 12 seconds later. After PRP's McDaniels missed, McReynolds sank 1 of 2 free throws for a 66-64 lead with 4.5 seconds left.

Byrd's last-second 3-point shot missed, sparking a Butler celebration.

PRP coach Dale Mabrey said he could see the loss coming despite his team's 3-0 start to the season.

"This game is on pure hustle, heart and desire, and tonight from the word 'go' (Butler) had all three of them and we had none of the three," Mabrey said. "Coach Purlee had them ready to go ... and even when they had the lead they were outhustling us."

* Girls' game: Murphy hit four 3-pointers and Kelsey Adwell (14 points) and Rayven Shead (11 points) also scored in double figures as PRP (4-0) beat Butler (2-2) for the first time since an 82-75 victory on Feb. 1, 2002.

"When I came here the first thing I said to the girls was that I hoped to make this a rivalry again," second-year PRP coach David Meadows said. "It had been so long since we'd beaten them."

Aareon Smith scored 23 points to lead Butler. Her two free throws pulled the Bearettes within 52-50 with 24 seconds left, but she missed two that could have tied it with 2.5 seconds remaining.

Adwell sank two free throws with 1.1 seconds left and had a steal and basket at the buzzer to seal PRP's victory.

PRP 12 20 13 14 5 - 64
Butler 15 8 15 21 7 - 66

PRP (3-1) - Hunter 4, Harris 13, Clemons 7, McDaniels 14, Oyler 7, Byrd 18, Sawyer 1.

Butler (3-1) - Harbin 6, Farrell 13, McReynolds 21, Bell 10, Johnson 12, Malone 1, Bradley 3.

3-point goals - Clemons, McDaniels 2, Oyler, Byrd 2; Farrell 2, McReynolds 4, Johnson 2.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...2312070155
After a near-miss Tuesday, the Butler High School boys' basketball team got the signature victory it was seeking over one of the state's elite teams.

Demetrius McReynolds scored a game-high 21 points and Butler overcame a 15-point deficit in the third quarter to beat rival Pleasure Ridge Park 66-64 in overtime Friday at Valley's new J.C. Cantrell Gymnasium.

The unranked Bears (3-1) lost 61-57 on Tuesday at Bullitt East, which is No. 2 in The Courier-Journal's preseason poll of coaches, but bounced back to knock off the No. 6 Panthers (3-1).

Bears coach Shawn Purlee said he took time to evaluate his team after Tuesday's loss.

"I wanted to see if they had hurt in their eyes, if they were satisfied with competing or if they were mad they lost," he said. "When I recognized they were mad they lost, I thought we'd have a chance to win tonight."

Butler's victory completed a night of upsets at Valley, as the PRP girls got 18 points from Paige Murphy to beat No. 7 and defending Sixth Region champion Butler 56-50. PRP snapped a 15-game losing streak to Butler dating to February 2002.

* Boys' game: Antonio McDaniels' 3-pointer gave the Panthers a 43-28 lead with 5:20 left in the third quarter, and led Purlee to call a timeout.

"We just made the decision since we were having trouble keeping them off the glass ... that we were going to make it a track meet," Purlee said. "Guys off the bench responded, and we got some energy going. The next thing you know you're in the ballgame."

Rashawn Farrell hit back-to-back 3-pointers as Butler closed the quarter with a 10-2 run to pull within 45-38. McReynolds' stepback 3-pointer from the left corner gave Butler a 59-58 lead with 46 seconds left in the fourth quarter.

"We just kept on pushing the ball," McReynolds said. "We have some of the fastest guards in the state."

PRP's Lamontray Harris hit 1 of 2 free throws to tie it at 59 with 34.4 seconds left, and McReynolds missed the front end of a one-and-one with 10.4 seconds remaining, leading to overtime.

Bryce Byrd, who led the Panthers with 18 points, hit a 3-pointer to give PRP a 64-63 lead with 40 seconds left. Monty Harbin answered with a putback to give Butler a 65-64 lead 12 seconds later. After PRP's McDaniels missed, McReynolds sank 1 of 2 free throws for a 66-64 lead with 4.5 seconds left.

Byrd's last-second 3-point shot missed, sparking a Butler celebration.

PRP coach Dale Mabrey said he could see the loss coming despite his team's 3-0 start to the season.

"This game is on pure hustle, heart and desire, and tonight from the word 'go' (Butler) had all three of them and we had none of the three," Mabrey said. "Coach Purlee had them ready to go ... and even when they had the lead they were outhustling us."

* Girls' game: Murphy hit four 3-pointers and Kelsey Adwell (14 points) and Rayven Shead (11 points) also scored in double figures as PRP (4-0) beat Butler (2-2) for the first time since an 82-75 victory on Feb. 1, 2002.

"When I came here the first thing I said to the girls was that I hoped to make this a rivalry again," second-year PRP coach David Meadows said. "It had been so long since we'd beaten them."

Aareon Smith scored 23 points to lead Butler. Her two free throws pulled the Bearettes within 52-50 with 24 seconds left, but she missed two that could have tied it with 2.5 seconds remaining.

Adwell sank two free throws with 1.1 seconds left and had a steal and basket at the buzzer to seal PRP's victory.

PRP 12 20 13 14 5 - 64
Butler 15 8 15 21 7 - 66

PRP (3-1) - Hunter 4, Harris 13, Clemons 7, McDaniels 14, Oyler 7, Byrd 18, Sawyer 1.

Butler (3-1) - Harbin 6, Farrell 13, McReynolds 21, Bell 10, Johnson 12, Malone 1, Bradley 3.

3-point goals - Clemons, McDaniels 2, Oyler, Byrd 2; Farrell 2, McReynolds 4, Johnson 2.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...2312070155