Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County Bulldogs 2013
Or fake cramping to slow down the game and rest.
LC will be solid this year. I look for a very good football team in Louisa this year.
3rd in the district!!
1. Belfry
2.Lawrence
3.Pike Central
4.Sheldon Clark
So we are very close to the start of the season and I was hoping someone close to the team could give us some insight on how the Dawg's are doing. I would love to know how the practices are going and what kind of numbers we got this year and if we have any good scrimmages going on? What kind of year do you think they will have this year?
Do-double-gg Wrote:So we are very close to the start of the season and I was hoping someone close to the team could give us some insight on how the Dawg's are doing. I would love to know how the practices are going and what kind of numbers we got this year and if we have any good scrimmages going on? What kind of year do you think they will have this year?
They have a scrimmage against Russell coming up. It appears they have over 50 players out.
dawgbyte02 Wrote:They have a scrimmage against Russell coming up. It appears they have over 50 players out.

When and where?
they play at LC not sure when
Bulldogs' line impressing in practice

LOUISA, Ky. (WYMT) - During their preseason football interviews, Lawrence County football coach Joey Cecil mentioned that he wants his players to focus solely on the upcoming season.

One thing the Bulldogs will look to do in 2013 is run the football, and run it well. Senior lineman Charles Bradshaw really likes what he has seen from some of the younger players who will be asked to step up and block for the backs.

"I've seen the linemen are really focusing on, they're really getting down their first steps because that's one of the bigger things we've been going over because if you don't get your first step you won't get anything," explains Bradshaw. "A 45-degree step and a 90-degree step could be the difference between getting to the linebacker and not getting to the linebacker, so we've really been focusing on scoops blocks and getting to the linebackers and finishing blocks rather than just the double team and skipping over to the linebacker."

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/sports/sportsov...96321.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Lawrence Co. focused on upcoming season

LOUISA, Ky. (WYMT) - The Lawrence County Bulldogs participating in WYMT's preseason football interviews Monday morning, and the Bulldogs are aiming to make a run at the Class 3A District 8 championship.

Despite finishing third in the district a year ago, head coach Joey Cecil and his team went 1-1 in the playoffs, but instead of dwelling on last season, Cecil says his team is focused on nothing but the season ahead.

"One of the things I've learned is I don't compare. I just don't," says Cecil, who is entering his third season as Lawrence County head coach. "It's a new season. There's no reason to look back at last season at what you did and didn't do. It's a new season. It's a new journey. It's a new process, so we're just going to stay focused on this season."

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/sports/sportsov...62531.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Do-double-gg Wrote:When and where?

Dawgs vs Russell @ LC Tues 6 pm

Team is looking better each day, a lot of focus on basics, tackling, routes, etc. I do worry that lack of size on line could hurt us later on in the season, not so much with the 1A schools we face (even though they are tough 1A's). I see the Dawgs being second in district if they can bump off Sheldon Clark for the spot. You have to keep in mind a lot of the key players are still young but promising for the next couples years. I think the low numbers during summer weight lifting needs to be addressed, no two a days, very little conditioning are the pit falls that will cripple us as the season goes along. A very strong backfield, quick WR's and hard hitting LB's are the backbone of this team. Keep the injuries down and we'll do just fine!!
Do any of you guys have a contact I could get ahold of about playing some youth league games with Lawrence county? Sorry about getting off topic.

Thanks guys!
lpd826 Wrote:Dawgs vs Russell @ LC Tues 6 pm

Team is looking better each day, a lot of focus on basics, tackling, routes, etc. I do worry that lack of size on line could hurt us later on in the season, not so much with the 1A schools we face (even though they are tough 1A's). I see the Dawgs being second in district if they can bump off Sheldon Clark for the spot. You have to keep in mind a lot of the key players are still young but promising for the next couples years. I think the low numbers during summer weight lifting needs to be addressed, no two a days, very little conditioning are the pit falls that will cripple us as the season goes along. A very strong backfield, quick WR's and hard hitting LB's are the backbone of this team. Keep the injuries down and we'll do just fine!!

Do you think it will be Sheldon Clark we fight for 2nd or Pike County Central? I don't know what either of those teams return this year but it looks to me like Pike Central has had the better team of the two for a few years now.
lpd826 Wrote:Dawgs vs Russell @ LC Tues 6 pm

Yes with Fairview and Raceland that is as tough as it gets in 1a in the east this year. I think Fairview lost the most but I believe Raceland will be the best 1a team in the east this year other than maybe Williamsburg and some say that Pikeville is on there way back to the top.
2013 WYMT Pigskin Preview: Lawrence County Bulldogs

LOUISA, Ky. (WYMT) - Despite finishing the regular season just 5-6, the Lawrence County Bulldogs found themselves playing in the second round of the Class 3A state playoffs after an upset win at Morgan County in round one.

"I figured out during that game that no matter what adversity, if we fight hard enough and claw our way to the top, we're going to come out winning," reflects senior lineman Charles Bradshaw.

With more than 2,000 rushing yards returning from last year's backfield, this year's team is aiming for a deeper run.

"We have a lot of weapons, and we have some newcomers coming up; freshmen wide receivers with a lot of speed and good hands," says Derek ferguson, a senior running back. "AJ (Cyrus), he's been working on that arm. He can throw the ball pretty good. "

"AJ (Cyrus) comes back. Ricky (Goble) comes back. We're going to run the same offense, the same defense, and I think that consistency is what's going to help us to become, where we want to get to," adds head coach Joey Cecil.

In order for that rushing attack to be efficient, it all starts up front with the line.

"We got a good line this year, and for them to be able to open up the holes for us," says A.J. Cyrus, who is entering his second season as the Bulldogs' quarterback. "When we're in the backfield and see those wide open holes just open up, it's like the gates of Heaven open up, the front doors open for you. That's a great feeling. To have them play like that every year is just something great."

"Our offensive line. They got experience. They can move people around real easy now," adds senior running back Ricky Goble.

Lawrence County last won a district title in 2009 as a member of Class 4A District 8. This year they're looking to end the drought.

"We want to try and compete for a district championship," says Michael Adams, a senior. "That's every goal, every team in the state wants to compete for that district championship. With a team like Belfry in your district, it's going to be tough, but that's where we want to be."

"They're very mentally tough. They always come to play. We just got to step up and be leaders and always come to play," says senior Cameron Little.

The Bulldogs open their season at home on August 23rd against former district opponent Boyd County.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/sports/sportsov...67651.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Do-double-gg Wrote:Do you think it will be Sheldon Clark we fight for 2nd or Pike County Central? I don't know what either of those teams return this year but it looks to me like Pike Central has had the better team of the two for a few years now.

Depends on which one shows up ready to play. Could go either way, SC and PCC along with Lawrence County are about the 3 most even teams which makes for exciting district play. Belfry is in a whole different league, Haywood has built a powerhouse of a program there which draws kids from WV and KY to want to play there.
My bold prediction is we see a Belfry vs. Lawrence County Regional Final this season.

If LC were in Russell's District I think the Bulldogs would have a puncher's chance at the State Semi-Finals. Seems like the LC program is on the verge of a nice couple years with quality talent and skill.

I think Sheldon Clark is going to be way down and be the 4 Seed... I give LC the edge on Pike Central as I think they simply will have more balance and better play up front.
If Coach Cecil can keep the current staff together and build some momentum with the youth and middle school feeder programs then LC is about to experience a run of youth and talent that COULD bring back memories of the 90's teams.
StrayBullet Wrote:If Coach Cecil can keep the current staff together and build some momentum with the youth and middle school feeder programs then LC is about to experience a run of youth and talent that COULD bring back memories of the 90's teams.

From what I have seen in the youth programs this year looks very promising. Large turn out, better equipment, working on basics( instead of just running plays) If the varsity has a good 2 or 3 years where these kids have someone to look up to then I don't think they will get discouraged and numbers drop off. Heck maybe we can get the Tight End Coach from the San Diego Charges (Jason Michaels) to come home and do a summer camp next year!!
lpd826 Wrote:From what I have seen in the youth programs this year looks very promising. Large turn out, better equipment, working on basics( instead of just running plays) If the varsity has a good 2 or 3 years where these kids have someone to look up to then I don't think they will get discouraged and numbers drop off. Heck maybe we can get the Tight End Coach from the San Diego Charges (Jason Michaels) to come home and do a summer camp next year!!

I do believe that if Jason had the time that he would love to come and hold something like that for the local youth. At first I was one of the biggest critics of the Cecil hire but if he continues to develop the players..keep the current coaching staff attached and build the feeder programs then he can have a lot of success here in Louisa.
Last time I talked to Jason he was getting in at 1:30 getting up at 5:30 and living at the Chargers complex. He's having a little boy this Fall so doubt that's going to happen.
When I started the Lawrence Co Legend's youth camp back when Turner O Brian, Blake Bradley, AJ Cyrus, Hunter James, Grant/Hayden Kiser were all kids, Jason would come to camp and visit us. Everything is so restricted college/pro. I was looking at a picture the other day of former Lawrence Co players that were instructors at those camps. 1 coaching NFL w Chargers, 1 been at UK,Marshall, now recruiting coordinator at Purdue, one coached at Centre and now Morehead, one been to two state championships coaching both schools 1st in 2 different states, 1 Lindsey Wilson, 3-4 now back here coaching and all the others very successful in life. Pretty good for a group that played in 1 decade in a town w population 2000.
Youth league is on up and up. My daughter is in 4th grade. They have around 35 kids out. I'm helping 1st+2nd grade we've got over 25.
8th grade has 1st home game tonight. 6 I think.
Sheldon Clark is looking at another down year. Had 6-7 kids who would have been starters not come out this season. They were looking to really make some nose. Gonna have to wait a couple more years before the. Get back in the thick of things.
I don't know much about the Dawgs this year... but best of luck to Harley Ratliff on his senior season there. I've gotten to know some of his family members, they're great people.