Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WYMT Mountain Top 10
E's Army- First off that statement that no team in the 13th is in the top 10 is a joke. One of the most ignorant statements I've read on here. There isn't a Richie Farmer in the ENTIRE mountains. But I'd advise you to go and watch Clay, Harlan, North and Knox play. They all have potential to be among the best of mountains. No there isn't a team that is up there with Perry (with Johnson), but the 13th isn't terrible. Richie's cousin, sophomore guard McDaniel isn't too shabby. If the kid stays healthy and focused he could challenge all of the great's records.
I don't see a team this year that could potentially make a Final Four run but to say nobody has played basketball in the 13th in 4 years is just ludicrous. Not to rub anyone the wrong way, but the 13th isn't dominated by transfers either. Just sayin'.
Good to see you back Bubba. Those are all decent teams. But there is not an exceptional team amongst them. The days of having Corbin in the elite 8 and South winning the sweet sixteen have passed us. South could have fielded their own 13th region all star team. Corbin was loaded but had the misfortune of getting South placed in their district the next year. What a battle that was for the next 3 years. I don't see anybody in the 13th with that kind of team. I hope to see Corbin get back to that level. They are well coached but don't have the star quality those Corbin teams had. Clay is better than they have been in recent years but are not close to the great teams Bobby Keith had in that run were he won all those region titles in a row. How many was it? 8? There is nobody close to the Thomas/Cox teams at Harlan. There is not anybody I would drive to Hazard to see in the WYMT.
I get where you're coming from, and you have some good points. I just wanted to throw the Clay team from two years ago out there. That team was loaded with seniors but just couldn't get it done in region. I will say that the 13th hasn't been the same since at least 2006 with South Laurel. Only time will tell but the 13th region doesn't have guys from other states coming to play for their schools. I mean, really? Kids from New Jersey or New York coming to eastern Kentucky to play? Not Lexington or Louisville? Let's get real. People can get mad if they want. I mean Clay County had some kids come play for them here and there, everybody does it. But those boys where from no more than 2 counties away. And that was very few. The KHSAA has to get a grip on things. You'll never seen a team like the 86-88 Tigers that were ranked #3 in the nation with Clay County bred boys or a coach like Bobby Keith. Coach P over at Corbin does a good job with what he has. North Laurel has the most underrated coach in the mountains in my opinion.
zaga_fan Wrote:Get that weak stuff out of here!
I'm a big 14th Region fan myself....
but I'm not naive enough to think that the top 4 should all be from the 14th.
Pulaski County, Southwestern, Harlan County and Johnson Central are all good enough to compete with the 14th.
I'm pretty big on North Laurel as well.

I can say whatever I'd like to say on here..
Including - I think you need to go play your imaginary guitar some more.
I probably overstated my case when I said that there were not any teams in the top 10. But the 13th region has been down for the last 3 years. Is this just a lull in talent or is this a trend?
The talent is down from where it was. Harlan County has some solid players, McDaniel at Clay County is one of the top 2 or 3 players in the region as a sophomore, and North Laurel has talent. Simpson at Pineville is a stud. But, none of those guys will play major college basketball, save McDaniel because you never know and he has 3 more years to play and has already committed to the University of Kentucky for golf.