Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 5A Region 4 (District's 7 & 8)
Thought id make a fun little thread for us district 7 and 8 fans to enjoy, especially since there are a lot of members from these two districts.

Current Standings

District 7

North Laurel (4-2 Overall, 1-0 District)
Madison Southern (3-2 Overall, 1-0 District)
Pulaski County (3-2 Overall, 1-0 District)
Lincoln County (3-3 Overall, 0-1 District)
Southwestern (2-3 Overall, 0-1 District)
South Laurel (1-5 Overall, 0-1 District)

District 8
Harlan County (3-2 Overall, 0-0 District)
Whitley County (3-2 Overall, 0-0 District)
Perry County Central (3-3 Overall, 0-0 District)
Letcher County Central (1-5 Overall, 0-0 District)

Thoughts? Predictions? Possible playoff matchups?
My thoughts have changed a little bit about district 7, however, my thoughts on district 8 hasnt.

For district 7, I believe Madison Southern, North Laurel, and Pulaski County are locks for a playoff spot. That last spot is still up for grabs. IMO, all three teams left are pretty even, and its going to be really hard to guess at what team will grab that four spot.

As for district 8, I believe Harlan County is still the favorites. Whitley appears to be better than Perry, and it wouldn't susrpsie me a bit to see Perry throw a wrinkle in things and knock off either of the two. I expect Letcher to bring up the rear while there having a rebuilding year.

This is an even year, so district 8 has the oppertunity to host the regional final.

Games to watch out for:

District 7
October 12th- North Laurel @ Madison Southern
This could be for your district championship. Both teams have struggled in years past, but seem to be at the top of the district, along with Pulaski County to capture the crown.

October 5th- Pulaski County @ Madison Southern
Like the game above, this could very well be for the district championship, should North fall to both teams. Madison Southern having both top contenders at home, could seal the deal for them.

September 27th- Pulaski County @ North Laurel
This could mean a home playoff game for these two. Chances are a first round game at home will be a big deal because going on the road to a district 8 team could mean an early exit.

October 5th- South Laurel @ Lincoln County
This could be a do or die game for a 4 seed. IMO, could be the most important game of the year for both schools.

District 8
October 12th- Whitley County @ Harlan County
This may be a district championship game, and should be a good one at that. Both teams come in pretty even with the same game plan....run the ball. As long as Perry doesnt have anything to say about the whole district championship thing...

October 19th- Harlan County @ Perry County
Going to Perry is no easy task. Your usually down two TD's when you step off the bus, and Pray and company will have there minds set on ruining Harlan County's year after HC diminished there hopes of a district title last year.

October 5th- Perry County @ Whitley County
In both teams district opener, a loss will not due. This game could either catapult one team or completely destroy anothers chances at a home playoff game. In a 4 teams district, games count just as much as they do in a 6 or 7 team district. Huge matchup in this one.

My Predictions

District 7
1. Madison Southern
2. North Laurel
3. Pulaski County
4. South Laurel

District 8
1. Harlan County
2. Whitley County
3. Perry County Central
4. Letcher County Central

If thats the case, then the playoffs would go as followed...

4. Letcher County Central @ 1. Madison Southern
3. Pulaski County @ 2. Whitley County

4. South Laurel @ 1. Harlan County
3. Perry County Central @ 2. North Laurel

My prediction....

Madison Southern over Letcher County Central
Whitley County over Pulaski County
Perry County Central over North Laurel
Harlan County over South Laurel

Semis
2. Whitley County @ 1. Madison Southern
3. Perry County Central @ 1. Harlan County

My prediction....

Whitley County over Madison Southern
Harlan County over Perry County Central

Region Championship
2. Whitley County @ 1. Harlan County

Whitley returns to Harlan County for the regional final, after losing to HC in the regular season.

My Prediction.....

Wait and see.....:biggrin:
I think we've been here before!

The region is Harlan County's or Whitley 's to lose.

After the Knox game my confidence is up on the Filthy Animal defense!
Great post!
I think that 4 spot for district 7 is a complete toss up.
I kinda wish they would take South and throw them in our district so that it would give us 5 teams a piece.
GetChili Wrote:Great post!

Agreed! I love to see stuff like this even if it has nothing to with my team lol. Great post RIUTG!
It would be great to see North finish as you predicted because they haven't hosted a playoff game since 1994 when they won the district. I think Perry will be better as the year goes on though and challenge anyone.
I think Letcher and Perry will be a close game at Perry I take PCC. Perry at Whitley I take Whitley but if Perry can pass the ball it will be close and stop the run. Harlan,Cent at Perry. My upset Perry will win because they can pass and are very fast.
1. Whitley
2. Perry
3. Harlan
4. Letcher
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I think that 4 spot for district 7 is a complete toss up.
I kinda wish they would take South and throw them in our district so that it would give us 5 teams a piece.

Ive thought that made sense from the time they moved NL out of our district! I think they should rotate South and North between districts every two years but realignment isn't that often, so what do you do?
ballboy Wrote:I think Letcher and Perry will be a close game at Perry I take PCC. Perry at Whitley I take Whitley but if Perry can pass the ball it will be close and stop the run. Harlan,Cent at Perry. My upset Perry will win because they can pass and are very fast.
1. Whitley
2. Perry
3. Harlan
4. Letcher

Harlan County's defense played pretty tough against a fast and talented Knox team and PCC 's defense isn't too good.
Patriot Wrote:Ive thought that made sense from the time they moved NL out of our district! I think they should rotate South and North between districts every two years but realignment isn't that often, so what do you do?

Well, when the realignment occured, NL had a fit and wanted to remain in district 8, but they wouldnt do it.
IMO, South makes more sense for our district, but i dont think they want to seperate North and South in districts.

I hate the idea of a four team district, but if you look at the way the districts have done since the realignment, i dont think having North or South would have mattered over the past couple of years and thing would have stayed the same.

It's always fun to do scenarios. That district 7 is VERY balanced.
I think WC and HC will beat Perry, but i dont think it will be a blowout.
I think Whitley will play Harlan for both District and Region championship game. I would be disappointed if that didn't happen for the Bryant kid. He will show he is better the Canada.
After the way HC has played against the better teams on their schedule I don't know if they can beat whitley twice this year. Their offense is too predictable.
I used to work in London in a previous life (3yearsago) and I can remember them talking about building another London high school out around the walmart distribution center and that would make all three London schools 3A or 4A. Wonder what's up with that?

Maybe someday Clay will move back up!
Counting Perry and Letcher out is silly and to think Harlan Co. is favorite is also silly. But, the silliest thing is why are ther 6 teams in 1 district and 4 in the other?????:HitWall:
^
I do think Letcher is out. This is just not there year to win a district or region.

Im with you on Perry though, that offense has shown it can score with everyone theyve played.

Who would you put in district 8 out of 7 to even the teams up?
Patriot Wrote:I used to work in London in a previous life (3yearsago) and I can remember them talking about building another London high school out around the walmart distribution center and that would make all three London schools 3A or 4A. Wonder what's up with that?

Maybe someday Clay will move back up!

I heard that as well.
Heres my take.....

At first a lot of people thought the Wyan Pine school built around the sublimity area was going to be West Laurel, but obviously they were wrong as it turned out to be an elementary school. Ive heard that if it does happen, it will be out on old west 80. And to be honest, with the sheer size of the Laurel County schools, it might not be a bad idea.

I for one, have always wondered why there was never a London Independent. Talk about a crazy good 1A or 2A school or something if it could manage to steal all of the athletes. London would then be setup like Pulaski County is.

As for now, i think all speculation of it happening has ended, but i wouldnt be surprised to see it happen within 10-15 years.
I still think Harlan County is the favorite. A loss on the road to a powerhouse Tennessee team and a 12-6 loss at a very good Knox Central team doesn't mean Harlan County has fallen off the map.

I would have moved Whitley to District 7 and the Laurels to District 8 with Harlan County, Letcher Central and Perry Central. That would give you five per district.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I heard that as well.
Heres my take.....

At first a lot of people thought the Wyan Pine school built around the sublimity area was going to be West Laurel, but obviously they were wrong as it turned out to be an elementary school. Ive heard that if it does happen, it will be out on old west 80. And to be honest, with the sheer size of the Laurel County schools, it might not be a bad idea.

I for one, have always wondered why there was never a London Independent. Talk about a crazy good 1A or 2A school or something if it could manage to steal all of the athletes. London would then be setup like Pulaski County is.

As for now, i think all speculation of it happening has ended, but i wouldnt be surprised to see it happen within 10-15 years.

I may be wrong, but I think London was always a county school when the schools closed around 1970 and Laurel County High School opened.
New independent school districts aren't created anymore in Kentucky. It doesn't happen.
^
Yea, i think your right on that one.
I dont think they have ever had a london high school have they?
I know they have london elemntary there in downtown.
There was a London High School until 1969, but I think it was in the county district. It did join Laurel County High School when it closed along with three other schools.
I would not write off District 7 too fast...last year a sweep was predicted by nearly every fan of District 8 teams over District 7 teams. District 7 won 4 of 7 games including the Region Championship.
Jumper Dad Wrote:I would not write off District 7 too fast...last year a sweep was predicted by nearly every fan of District 8 teams over District 7 teams. District 7 won 4 of 7 games including the Region Championship.

Southwestern got on a roll last year who do you see making a run in the playoffs from district 7?
Madison Southern was my preseason favorite to win the district, led by running back Damien Harris.

North Laurel has surprised me so far this year, so they'll probably get a spot.

Pulaski County, despite being so young, has done a nice job so far this season. They will play North Laurel on Thursday, so that will give an indication of how good they really are.

South Laurel has a good QB in Tyler Dethridge, but they got beat by 20+ against North Laurel last Friday.

Southwestern is rebuilding this year, but if they can get their defensive issues settled, they could get a spot.

Lincoln County is really down this year.
HDE Wrote:I still think Harlan County is the favorite. A loss on the road to a powerhouse Tennessee team and a 12-6 loss at a very good Knox Central team doesn't mean Harlan County has fallen off the map.

I would have moved Whitley to District 7 and the Laurels to District 8 with Harlan County, Letcher Central and Perry Central. That would give you five per district.

Ive wondered this for forever now. Why have Perry drive past two 5A schools to go play another one farther away in their district. lol

I think it will be done sometime. It seems like it would be the smartest thing to do.
After the events of tonight i see some movement and changes in district 7.

My prediction...

1. Madison Southern
2. Pulaski County
3. North Laurel
4. Southwestern

I dont see how Lincoln or South could overcome these teams to get a playoff spot.
If South does end up causing a tiebreaker, there only win of the year is Lynn Camp, so they will have no points to go off of.