Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell Defense
Looking at the stats on KHSAA to try and get a better handle about the Ironton/Ashland game and saw a stat that surprised me.

Has Russell really allowed over 1000 yards rushing over the past two weeks?

According to the KHSAA it has Ironton with 493 on the ground and Ashland with 533 for a whopping 1026 yards in the span of two games.

I know both teams are pretty solid, but this just seems ridiculously high.
Nope those are correct numbers. Was at both games,
They are correct.

Against Ashland it was more of a product of the Russell offense going three and out on every possession. The defense was on the field the entire game.

Big plays have been a killer. Reverse for a long TD first offensive play against Ashland and I think one of their JV kids broke like an 85 yard TD right at the end of the game.

Against Ironton they just couldn't get a handle on Lewis. Lewis I think is the best back I've seen this year.

The defense the last two games has been bad. A lot of sophs and even a freshman getting minutes. That's got to get better though.

They won't see two more teams like that all year though I don't think.
FBALL Wrote:They are correct.

Against Ashland it was more of a product of the Russell offense going three and out on every possession. The defense was on the field the entire game.

Big plays have been a killer. Reverse for a long TD first offensive play against Ashland and I think one of their JV kids broke like an 85 yard TD right at the end of the game.

Against Ironton they just couldn't get a handle on Lewis. Lewis I think is the best back I've seen this year.

The defense the last two games has been bad. A lot of sophs and even a freshman getting minutes. That's got to get better though.

They won't see two more teams like that all year though I don't think.
Belfry might put 500 on them if the devils get that far. Judging by how weak 3A is they have a shot.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Belfry might put 500 on them if the devils get that far. Judging by how weak 3A is they have a shot.

It's possible. I'm hoping they are better by that point in the season.
Even with the woes the last two weeks, Russell should be right in the mix to make it out of that region. Bourbon looks to be the favorite, but their schedule is WEAK, so it will be difficult to get a real gage on what kind of team they have.

After them, Garrard and Russell seem to be the next in line to make it out of that region.
Russell defence will get better as the season goes on.Like I said before they played 2 very very good teams.They wont play anyone nearly that good unless they make it to play Belfry.