Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenup County Football Dilemma
It is the of opinion this writer that Greenup County needs to drop out of the District and schedule teams they can compete with. Nothing better for a floundering program than to string a line of W's under your name. This school has a group of great young men and a good coaching staff that just need to work on a winning attitude. Rowan County did this very thing a few years back and it paid great dividends to their program.....
Honestly would prob not be a bad idea. Winning breeds excitement in the community. That would increase turnout at the JV and middle school levels and would pay dividends.
I went last season to watch Johnson Central play @ Greenup Co.

Greenup Co. may have dressed 30-35 players. After seeing Greenup Co. in the early 2000's play, and then to see last years team.... I felt bad for the players. coaches and the school in general. Small crowd (JC had more fans than Greenup did), very little crowd participation, the players just didn't seem in to the game at all.

Trust me, JC fans know about hard times (three season of 2-8; 2-8; 1-9)... hate to see any team go through this as well. It's bad for the school, kids and community.
Dropping out of district is what we need there's no excitement. The boys are so accustomed to losing they don't care. Where's the fire at? Next year there will be some easier teams that we might be able to compete with. You must at least be competitive.
Those in charge at GC should consider this.
This is what Pendleton County is doing (they are in a district with Highlands, Cov Cath and Holmes) It is the only way they will be able to save their program. Better to play 10 games a year that you have at least a chance of winning or being competitive in and no playoffs, than getting handled week in and week out and everyone losing interest.
Walleye is correct. Some programs are down for a while and come back. Greenup County is perpetually down.
^^
I've always wondered about your nic, because it seemed somehow "familiar" to me.

Soooo, watching old movies this past weekend; now I know!!
GC's non conference schedule will be lewis, east carter, west carter, raceland and russell.
Coupon21 Wrote:GC's non conference schedule will be lewis, east carter, west carter, raceland and russell.

They'll have to have 1 more. I figure next year they won't have Pike County Central, Grant County and Letcher County Central. Keeping Russell and Raceland means that Fairview will be the other game unless that was just a 2 year deal and another team will be scheduled. A much more reasonable schedule in several ways.
We don't need to play Fairview. It's hard to beat a team when they get players from the West Virginia pipeline.
i for one hope greenup can get it turnaround soon.
A proposal worth considering.
I think Fleming is the other game
Greenup hasn't even played any district games yet. They can play who they want in the other seven games.
I lived in Lloyd for a few years. My son went to graysbranch el.
Pulled up stakes and got out of that school system.
It's like the North vs South. Or the Hatfields and McCoys all over again. People don't like you based on your geographical location. It's tough. Feel sorry for the good people down that way.
football 105 Wrote:I lived in Lloyd for a few years. My son went to graysbranch el.
Pulled up stakes and got out of that school system.
It's like the North vs South. Or the Hatfields and McCoys all over again. People don't like you based on your geographical location. It's tough. Feel sorry for the good people down that way.

Absolutely correct. And, due to this, Greenup County will never succeed.