Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
September 11
I've heard an old saying, numerous times, that no one will ever forget where they were when John F Kennedy was assassinated. That's true, I think. I will also never forget what I was doing when the planes starting hitting the World Trade Center buildings.

I was here, at work, and my boss had his television turned on the news. We were terribly busy that morning. All of a sudden (he has a huge booming voice), he yells for me to come in his office becasue some stupid (expletive) has just flown his (expletive) plane into the WTC. It took me a while to get in there, but I was standing beside his desk watching the coverage when the second plane hit. All of a sudden, the reality washed over me. My legs became weak, and I slumped to the floor. "Oh my God, we're under attack."

So over the next couple of hours, other reports started to trickle through. Other planes in the air....other targets that were being considered....ground troops here???

When those rumors started, I called my daughter and told her to pull the kids out of school and bring them to Harlan. As bad as things could get, I knew they would be safe here.

As for all of us that time was met with fear, uncertainty, then resolve, bravery and finally commitment to a better future.

Regardless of what your political affilliation is, regardless of what your religious affilliation is, I believe today is the day to stop and think about the thousands of people whose lives were effected by this tragedy.

Personally, I just want to take this day to remember and hold in my heart the first responders, police, clergy, medical staffers and our military. I think of those on this board, who I old a special place for in my heart and mind....those who have dedicated part or all of their lives to protecting others....Thank you!!

God Bless America!!
^I was sitting on my dad's coach in Ashland. I had just gotten off of work and went to bed. He called me from his work and told me that my work was trying to get ahold of me. I called them and they told me what was going on. That is when i turned the TV on and watched in horror as the second plane hit.
I, like most people thought, that the first was just a trrible accident. But, when the second hit. That is when I knew something was up.

God Bless ALL that lost their lives and ALL that lost love ones in the Horrible act of COWARDNESS !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
I was sitting in my office and a co-worker came around the corner to say a plane hit one of the world trade towers. In just thinking that it was an accident, we started following the story on the internet. That was when reports came in of another plane crashing the towers. I had a small TV in my desk that I pulled out and we began watching the coverage.

It wasn't long after that UK hospital was placed on lock down as a threat had been made against multiple hospitals so we just sat in our office and tried to wrap our head around everything that was happening.

I found it difficult the next day to go on with my daily routine. To this day I still have trouble accepting that it actually happened.
I had recently been to NYC to visit one of our offices caddy corner to WTC 2 in the 1 Financial building. We had over 1,000 employees in 1 Financial. I stayed in the WTC 2 Marriott, and what I remembered from walking from WTC 2 to WTC 1 was a sign that indicated we had offices in WTC 1!

Two months later, I was golfing with a friend at Legendary Run golf course in Cincinnati. We just made the turn and stopped into the Club House. While in the club house for drink and food, there were several watching the proceedings on the television. It was described to us that a plane had crashed into the WTC building. We were watching for maybe five minutes when the 2nd plane hit! A wave of shock went through all of us! We knew right then that it was not an accident, but something was WRONG and this was a threat to us all.

My immediate thoughts were to all of those that I knew in the 1 Financial building, but quickly turned to those in what I thought were our employees in WTC 1. I learned later that we had vacated the offices in WTC 1 a few months earlier (before my visit to NYC), but at the time, I was sick thinking that we had employees in that building.

All in all, we did lose one employee (not anyone that I knew) who was in WTC 2. Our offices in 1 Financial was cleared and everyone got out safely, but when the WTCbuildings came down, the force of the fall destroyed the fronts of the surrounding buildings. We never did return and now have our offices directly across the River in New Jersey.

Though I had been to NYC over a dozen times, staying in WTC Marriott each time, I have not been back since!
I was teaching 6th grade World History. The principal put the radio broadcast on the intercom. At the time most classrooms at the school didn't have tv's in them.
I was at Perry County Central getting ready to play basketball in Al Holland's PE Class.
I was in English IV class, when it was announced over the intercom.

We had this huge banner that was signed by every student & faculty and sent it to New York.
Stardust Wrote:I had recently been to NYC to visit one of our offices caddy corner to WTC 2 in the 1 Financial building. We had over 1,000 employees in 1 Financial. I stayed in the WTC 2 Marriott, and what I remembered from walking from WTC 2 to WTC 1 was a sign that indicated we had offices in WTC 1!

Two months later, I was golfing with a friend at Legendary Run golf course in Cincinnati. We just made the turn and stopped into the Club House. While in the club house for drink and food, there were several watching the proceedings on the television. It was described to us that a plane had crashed into the WTC building. We were watching for maybe five minutes when the 2nd plane hit! A wave of shock went through all of us! We knew right then that it was not an accident, but something was WRONG and this was a threat to us all.

My immediate thoughts were to all of those that I knew in the 1 Financial building, but quickly turned to those in what I thought were our employees in WTC 1. I learned later that we had vacated the offices in WTC 1 a few months earlier (before my visit to NYC), but at the time, I was sick thinking that we had employees in that building.

All in all, we did lose one employee (not anyone that I knew) who was in WTC 2. Our offices in 1 Financial was cleared and everyone got out safely, but when the WTCbuildings came down, the force of the fall destroyed the fronts of the surrounding buildings. We never did return and now have our offices directly across the River in New Jersey.

Though I had been to NYC over a dozen times, staying in WTC Marriott each time, I have not been back since!

Being involved in a similiar business, I received three IRA transfer requests within a month that all had companies with the WTC addresses on them as holding trustees.

Really made me stop and take stock of everything from the hurt that I witnessed on the face of strangers to my family and ALL those things that are really important.

Thank you guys, for sharing your stories.
I was in class and the principal announced over the intercom and told our teachers to put the broadcast of the TV and we watches it until school let out.

Those men and women who risked their life's that day to help and save others. Will never be rewarded enough for what they did. They helped complete strangers to attempt to save them. And for the people who lost their life's will be remembered as true heroes for eternity.
I was in my senior year of high school lifting in the weight room.
It was only me and my coach and one other working out in there.
One of our assistants came down to tell us what was going on so we went into the locker room and watched the tv for about 45 minutes before he made us start lifting again.

I remember an art teacher we had came down after the first tower got hit and she said "this isnt an accident im telling you, I bet it is Al Qaeda and bin ladin" and we all said, who is that, and right after we did another plane hit. That woman was very smart and told us the next day of how she had read the Quran several times and how it mentioned nothing like the radicals believed and we we just astonished of how much she knew about it.
I almost died because of the war this event caused, and watched multiple friends die and lose limbs because of it. I was in 6th grade English....it's shaped my last 5 years. I enlisted in the military because of this.
Granny Bear Wrote:I've heard an old saying, numerous times, that no one will ever forget where they were when John F Kennedy was assassinated. That's true, I think. I will also never forget what I was doing when the planes starting hitting the World Trade Center buildings.
I was here, at work, and my boss had his television turned on the news. We were terribly busy that morning. All of a sudden (he has a huge booming voice), he yells for me to come in his office becasue some stupid (expletive) has just flown his (expletive) plane into the WTC. It took me a while to get in there, but I was standing beside his desk watching the coverage when the second plane hit. All of a sudden, the reality washed over me. My legs became weak, and I slumped to the floor. "Oh my God, we're under attack."

So over the next couple of hours, other reports started to trickle through. Other planes in the air....other targets that were being considered....ground troops here???

When those rumors started, I called my daughter and told her to pull the kids out of school and bring them to Harlan. As bad as things could get, I knew they would be safe here.

As for all of us that time was met with fear, uncertainty, then resolve, bravery and finally commitment to a better future.

Regardless of what your political affilliation is, regardless of what your religious affilliation is, I believe today is the day to stop and think about the thousands of people whose lives were effected by this tragedy.

Personally, I just want to take this day to remember and hold in my heart the first responders, police, clergy, medical staffers and our military. I think of those on this board, who I old a special place for in my heart and mind....those who have dedicated part or all of their lives to protecting others....Thank you!!

God Bless America!!

I just happened to be on the phone with The US Department of Justice in Washington DC when the attorney I was talking to said that he was going to have to call me back because they were being told to evacuate the DOJ building because some nut had just flown his plane into the Pentagon.

Now how is that for being close to the situation?

At this time, I was unaware of anything that was going on involving the World Trade Center, which happened just before the Pentagon situation..
These stories really touch my heart. Vundy!! What can I say? I knew/felt that this was probably an event that greatly impacted you. I never expected that impact to be so great.
If I haven't said this before, thank you for your service. It definately IS most appreciated.

Bob Seger....do you know what happened to the person you were speaking with on the phone?
Granny Bear Wrote:These stories really touch my heart. Vundy!! What can I say? I knew/felt that this was probably an event that greatly impacted you. I never expected that impact to be so great.
If I haven't said this before, thank you for your service. It definately IS most appreciated.

Bob Seger....do you know what happened to the person you were speaking with on the phone?

Sorry Granny for the delay, I just noticed your question. But to answer, No, I dont know. I can only assume that they remained safe. I am not sure where the DOJ Building is in relation to the Pentagon in D.C. (perhaps Hoot can confirm the proximity?), but I can only assume that they remained in a safe situation. I never did hear of anyone at the DOJ being in harm's way, but I honestly dont know.

It's just that with all that was going on in the US at that moment, what are the odds that you have an eastern Kentucky hillbilly talking on the phone to the DOJ in Washington D.C. at the precise moment that Washington's governmental buildings were under attack? Mind blowing to me. It's just one of those things that you'll go to your grave remembering.
I was in class watching Channel One News. Don't know if anybody remembers that or not.
Remembers what??? Channel One news?