Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland Blazer -7 South Laurel -0 (KHSAA State Tournament)
SL got dominated by what looked like a very good lefty pitcher! Not sure who the kid was that pitched for SL. does anyone have any more details about this game?
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:SL got dominated by what looked like a very good lefty pitcher! Not sure who the kid was that pitched for SL. does anyone have any more details about this game?

Which one? They have two of them.
They pitched the senior Sam Hunter in this game.
dozerdawg707 Wrote:They pitched the senior Sam Hunter in this game.

That means that jr. Logan Salow will get the next call. Another Lefty who is every bit as good as Hunter.
I liked Ashland's lefty. He didn't throw hard, but he had a very good breaking ball.
Bob Seger Wrote:That means that jr. Logan Salow will get the next call. Another Lefty who is every bit as good as Hunter.
If Ashland has another lefty as strong as the Hunter kid IMO they will being playing in the final 4... What kind of pitching do they have after that? They look like a pretty solid team!
Stardust Wrote:I liked Ashland's lefty. He didn't throw hard, but he had a very good breaking ball.

He'll top out about 86 in the early innings and then settle in at the 82-84 range, and drop down a couple more in the late innings. You are right, he can break one off as well as anyone.
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:If Ashland has another lefty as strong as the Hunter kid IMO they will being playing in the final 4... What kind of pitching do they have after that? They look like a pretty solid team!

He is just as strong BB. Actually the Ashland Daily Independent (Ashland area paper) named Shalow as their area player of the year (which covers a very wide area and consists of maybe 30-40 schools), over top of Hunter. Hunter came into the season , expected by everyone to be the staff ace, but I think many will tell you that they think Shalow bested Hunter on the season. They are both very very good lefties. I am guessing that Coach Wilcox gave Hunter the opening round nod, based on him being the senior. They throw very similar.
Congrats to South Laurel on a great season!
Bob Seger Wrote:He is just as strong BB. Actually the Ashland Daily Independent (Ashland area paper) named Shalow as their area player of the year (which covers a very wide area and consists of maybe 30-40 schools), over top of Hunter. Hunter came into the season , expected by everyone to be the staff ace, but I think many will tell you that they think Shalow bested Hunter on the season. They are both very very good lefties. I am guessing that Coach Wilcox gave Hunter the opening round nod, based on him being the senior. They throw very similar.
Thats real nice, but you didnt answer my question about what kind of pitching do these guys have after the 2 lefties
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:Thats real nice, but you didnt answer my question about what kind of pitching do these guys have after the 2 lefties

OK sorry. Solid but just average, IMO.
South Laurel 000 000 0—0 4 1
Ashland Blazer 000 214 x—7 6 0
Austin Vigeant and Stephen Simpson. Sam Hunter and Cameron Fritz. 2B—Joe Stewart (A), Evan Yongue (A), Jared Slone (A).
Records—South Laurel 26-12; Ashland Blazer 28-8
For Ashland Blazer's Sam Hunter, waiting for the chance to play in the state baseball tournament was his own type of hunger game.
The senior left-hander finally satisfied his appetite Tuesday night and led the Tomcats to a 7-0 victory over South Laurel in the Kentucky National Insurance/KHSAA State Tournament at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.
"I've waited a long time to get here," said Hunter, who has been in Ashland's starting rotation since he was an eighth-grader. "We came close a couple times, but luckily we got here my senior year.
"And yes, it was worth the wait."
Hunter feasted on the opportunity. He went the full seven innings, scattering four hits, striking out 14 and walking five. He ran his record to 10-1 and his strikeout total to 135 in 74 innings this spring.
"Sam — what can you say about him?" Ashland Coach Jeff Wilcox said. "He's a competitor who goes out every day and does a great job.
"We knew he'd do a great job today if we could score some runs for him."
It took a while for the Tomcats to figure out South Laurel lefty Austin Vigeant, who blanked them through three innings.
Ashland finally got on the board in the fourth. Joe Stewart doubled with one out, and Cameron Fitz walked. Evan Yongue, batting eighth in the order, ripped a two-out, two-run double to put the Tomcats in front.
They added a run in the fifth on Aaron Elam's two-out RBI single, then broke it open with four runs in the sixth. Elam had the big hit — a two-run double — and Jared Slone, No. 9 in the order, doubled in a run.
"We've been preaching that all year," Wilcox said. "Everybody's gotta contribute, I don't care where you bat in the lineup, You've got to do your job."
South Laurel had its chances against Hunter, but it left the bases loaded in the first, runners at second and third in the third, and a runner at third in the fifth. Each time Hunter got a strikeout to defuse the threats.
"That's been me pretty much my whole career," said Hunter, who hasn't made a college choice. "I get myself into jams, but I'm pretty good at working out of them."
South Laurel Coach Wynn Harris was disappointed with the outcome but happy with the way his Cardinals came together this season.
"This was not a year we expected to win the region," he said. "That was our goal and we felt we had a shot.
"We had four or five freshmen in the lineup with three seniors and two juniors. It's a really good feeling when you have a group that becomes a team like this group did."
Thomcats making the 16th proud.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis