Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern baseball coach John Morris departs
John Morris, one of the state’s most successful baseball coaches over the past 11 years, announced Monday that he has stepped down at Eastern High School.Morris said he wants to spend more time with his children — ages 7, 5 and 1 — and wasn’t sure whether he would return to coaching.
“It was a very difficult decision considering the type of program we have built at Eastern and how successful we have been, but it was the best decision for my family so I could spend more time with them,” Morris wrote in an email to The Courier-Journal. “I have enjoyed the many memories and relationships that have been created through baseball over the past 11 years at Eastern.”
Morris posted a 338-89 record and led the Eagles to eight straight 30-win seasons from 2005-12. Before Morris’ arrival, Eastern had just one 20-win season (1997) in its history.
Morris’ teams captured six district championships but never won a Seventh Region title, finishing as runner-up in 2005 and 2011. His 2012 squad was ranked No. 2 in the state but lost 8-0 to Male in the regional semifinals and finished 32-8.
Morris also was instrumental in promoting the sport throughout the state as a one-time president of the Kentucky High School Baseball Coaches Association. He also was director of the Louisville Invitational Tournament.
Morris’ resignation means Eastern will have new coaches in football, boys’ basketball and baseball for the 2012-13 school year. Steve Ruckman is the new football coach, replacing Ken Whalen. Eastern has not yet named a basketball coach to replace Jason Couch, who left for Shelby County.http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...ts?Avis=B2