Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulaski County 12, Southwestern 2 (6 Innings) (12th Region)
Final
Pulaski crushes Lady Warriors, 12-2
By MICHAEL CHILDERS, CJ Correspondent
Commonwealth Journal

Danville — Pulaski County has proved that the regular season doesn’t mean very much.

Last night, Pulaski County opened the 2012 edition of the 12th Region Softball Tournament against Southwestern, who happened to be the same Lady Warrior team who defeated the Lady Maroons on two different occasions during the regular season.

Despite coming into the match-up with a 14-23 mark, Scott Taylor’s Lady Maroons dominated Southwestern, who came in with a record of 16-10, in the opening round of the regional tournament with a six-inning, 12-2 victory last night at Millennium Park in Danville.

The Lady Maroons hit the ball when they needed to and advantage of Lady Warrior miscues to come away with a ten-run victory, which allowed them to advance to the semifinals of the 12th Region Softball Tournament for the seventh consecutive season, where they will face Boyle County.

In fact, Pulaski banged out 12 runs on 14 hits to advance on in tourney action. The Lady Maroons also took advantage of five Southwestern errors, while at the plate, the Lady Warriors left ten runners on the base paths.

“We came out ready to play,” began Taylor. “We talked before the game about how now it’s an elimination tournament - it’s a matter of who comes out and plays the best. We played well, we made a lot of contact and put the ball into play. Southwestern made a few mistakes and we took advantage of them. It was really gutsy effort from the whole team.”

Both squads combined for five runs and five hits in the first inning, an inning that saw the Lady Maroons grab a 3-2 lead over Southwestern. After plating a run in the top of the third, Pulaski opened the flood gates in the fourth, as they plated five runs to run out to a 9-2 advantage.

Pulaski would get two runs in the fifth inning and a lone run in the sixth inning to come away with a mercy rule victory over the Lady Warriors, who downed Pulaski in both regular season meetings.

Senior Brittany McKee had a big night for the Lady Maroons, as she got the victory on the mound and finished with three hits and two RBI’s. The Pulaski hurler finished with seven strikeouts on the hill.

Two other Lady Maroons - Kendra Hyden and McKala Blevins - joined McKee in three-hit category. Blevins finished with a game-high three RBI’s and had a double, while Hyden tallied a lone RBI.

Southwestern got two hits from each senior Abbey Smith and freshman Adison Corder. Corder had a two-run single, which allowed sophomores Allie Venable and Sydney Fourman to score in the bottom of the first inning. Venable had a double in the loss to Pulaski.

First-year Lady Warrior head coach Kasey Blair was upset with the loss, but was happy to coach her alma mater this season.

“I am disappointed at the loss tonight, but I am so glad to have had the pleasure of coaching these girls this season,” said Blair, who saw her Lady Warrior team finish with a final mark of 16-11. “They have improved from the beginning and we had a great season. Our two seniors, Abbey Smith and Lensey Halcomb had great seasons, and I wish we could have pulled the game out tonight for them, but they have been a joy to coach and they will be truly missed. Best of luck to PC as they represent our county in the rest if the tournament.”

Blair is looking forward to the future, as all but Smith and Halcomb will return next spring.

“I'm looking forward to next year, I have a lot of underclassmen who have a years’ experience under their belts and will be ready to hit the field next year for me,” stated the Southwestern head coach. “I especially look forward to seeing some of my seasoned players back, such as Sydney and I can't wait to see her hit the mound after working in the off season.”

The Lady Maroons will play tournament host Boyle County in the semifinals tonight at 8 p.m. at Millennium Park. Pulaski is no stranger to the semifinals, so the Lady Maroons will be prepared to play against the Lady Rebels of Boyle County.

“That’s seven years in a row that we’ve made the semifinals,” concluded the Lady Maroon head coach. “We’re going to enjoy this one for about the next ten minutes and get ready for who ever wins the Boyle County-East Jessamine game.”

PC 3 0 1 5 2 1 - 12 14 0

SW 2 0 0 0 0 0 - 2 7 5

WP: McKee (PC)

LP: Fourman (SW)

2B: Blevins (PC); Venable (SW)

RBI: Blevins 3, McKee 2, Hyden, Brock (PC); Corder 2 (SW)

http://somerset-kentucky.com/localsports...riors-12-2
Congrats to the Lady Warriors on the great season!

Best of luck to the Lady Maroons tonight against Boyle County!