Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds 6, Astros 5
Jay Bruce is in one of those rare-air moments of his, when every waist-high fastball finds the fat of his bat. When Bruce is this way, he is a trot waiting to happen. The good thing about it is, he can get hot enough to carry the Reds. The bad thing is, he has no idea what he’s doing.

At least until now. Maybe. Possibly.

“I’m feeling now like I’m ready to make the right move on the right pitch,’’ Bruce said Sunday. “In years past, if I hit home runs, I did. If I didn’t, I didn’t. I didn’t know why.’’

When you reach Bruce’s level of experience and expertise, the gains you make as a hitter are mostly from the neck up. Everybody can hit a fastball 350 feet. Every hitter can guess right on a hanging curveball, even bad hitters. If you have big ability, what distinguishes you is what you do when no one’s looking.

Bruce smashed his fourth homer in four games Sunday. It was a 381-foot rainbow to right center, a few rows above the 370-foot sign. It gave the Reds a 5-4 comeback win over the Houston Astros. It was the sort of win the Reds have to have, if they aim to fulfill the promise of 2011. A big part of that promise hinges on Bruce’s continued improvement as a hitter.

The difference between good, consistent hitters and good hitters such as Jay Bruce is the ability to make the same, fundamentally sound swing every time. Don’t ask me; ask Joey Votto. Votto had 4 RBI Sunday. At the plate, he’s a mechanic, changing a tire.

“Typically, guys who are streaky don’t have as much time in the (strike) zone with their barrel,’’ Votto explained. Translation: Their swings aren’t sufficiently grooved to allow for the fat of the bat to hit the ball consistently. “I think they’re also more emotional, too. In the past, Jay’s swing was very inconsistent.’’

Naturally, so was his offense. Last May, Bruce hit 12 homers and batted .342. The “Bruce figures it out’’ stories leapt from the pages. Then he hit .217 in June, with two homers and seven batted in. He has been consistently inconsistent:

In 2010, Bruce hit 15 homers in August and September, and 10 the other four months. In ’09, he hit nine of his 22 homers in May. Every fantastic month teased us with possibility. Every lousy month taunted our optimism. And, of course, Bruce’s.

“Earlier in my career, I never really knew anything but that I was good at baseball,’’ he said. “Up here. everyone’s good at baseball. Still, no matter what I did, I expected more.’’ Problem was, Bruce said Sunday, he didn’t do the work needed to satisfy his expectations. He’d been good his whole life without it.

It all changed in the offseason, he said. He dropped 14 pounds. He came to spring training intent on establishing a better work ethic and a more consistent routine.

“The way I quantify my success now is the work I do and how prepared I am. I have a better grasp,’’ Bruce said. This is the leap all successful people make. Talent is a blessing that becomes a curse that can inform. If you’re smart and motivated, you put the talent to the grindstone. It’s what Votto has done, and Scott Rolen before him, to name two Reds whose ballpark cubicles are within 10 feet of Jay Bruce’s.

“A guy could have a great two or three-year stretch, then go south,’’ Votto said. “You see it often. Lots of players get hot. But if they’re not doing the basic, fundamental things, it’s not going to carry through their whole careers.’’

Bruce is also working on curbing his enthusiasm. In the past, he has gotten himself out by swinging at bad pitches. The more he flailed, the harder he tried. He didn’t have a consistent routine he trusted. Or, as Bruce put it, “The book right now on me is, get ahead early (in the count) and start throwing bull(spit). I have to change that.’’

Bruce doesn’t know if his newly discovered mental approach will work; he did have an 0-for-19 stretch already. It could be that, like lots of power hitters, he’s just a streaky hitter. What Bruce does know now that he didn’t know, even last May, is that grinding is the surest way to success. Talent alone doesn’t succeed in the big leagues.

“Always remember,’’ he said, “that the game doesn’t owe you anything.’’http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...gory=SPT04
Jay Bruce....all I gotta say is WOW!

Nice to see Votto start hitting and driving in runs.