4 runs in the 7th.

W-J Arredondo

L-C Hensley

S Marshall (4)
Nice to see Rolen crank out a big HR.

Maybe that will get him going.
TWO wins? Yeah baby!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
The Reds needed a spark, a jolt of energy. They got it from a guy who’s been struggling mightily all year.

Scott Rolen’s home run to lead off the seventh inning helped propel the Reds to a 4-2 victory over the San Francisco Giants before a crowd 17,115 on a rainy night at Great American Ball Park. The win was the Reds’ fifth in six games. It got them back to .500 at 9-9.

Rolen, who came into the game hitting .175, joked during a TV interview that the home run was a career-saver.

“It ain’t quite that drastic,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “But when you’re not swinging the bat well, life is miserable when you’re not getting hit. That was big. That was huge. That was big win for us. The guys are super excited.”

The career-saver comment has been a clubhouse gag..

“That’s been the joke here,” Rolen said. “I get a hit about every two weeks. (Zack) Cozart said that was a career saver. He’s was trying not to overblow it. But that’s OK. It’s OK to overblow that. That was a necessary result right there.”

Starter Bronson Arroyo did not have best stuff. He went five innings and allowed two runs (one earned) on nine hits. Arroyo had given up 18 hits 21 2/3 innings coming in.

“The left-handers were giving him fits,” Baker said. “We got him out of there with two-run deficit. We were hoping something big would happen.”

Arroyo was happy to get down 2-0.

“Two runs you can overcome,” he said. “Three or four makes it tough.’

It was a 2-0 still the seventh. Rolen got the Reds on the board with his first home run of the year to lead off the inning. That was it for Barry Zito.

The Giants brought in Clay Hensley. Ryan Ludwick greeted him with a single to left. Ryan Hanigan tried to bunt Ludwick over. Hensley fielded it and threw it over first baseman Buster Posey’s head. Ludwick ended up on third and Hanigan on second on the error.

“That was a big play when he got the bunt down,” Baker said. “That field was wet, the ball was wet. Those are tough conditions.”

Pinch-hitter Willie Harris popped up for the first out.

Stubbs walked to load the bases. Wilson Valdez hit a ball to medium right. Ludwick looked to be dead to rights. But right fielder Nate Schierholtz’s throw bounced and got away from catcher Sanchez. Ludwick was safe. Hanigan went to third and Stubbs to second.

“Schierholtz can throw, really throw,” Baker said. “But you’ve got to take a chance right there. That was good play by (third base coach) Mark Berry to send him. It was a good at-bat by Valdez and a heck of a slide by Ludwick.”

The Giants brought in former Red Jeremy Affeldt to face Votto. He bounced a 0-1 pitch. It went to the backstop, allowing Hanigan to score and make it 3-2.

Votto scorched a double to center to make it 4-2.

The Giants took a 1-0 lead in the third on Angel Pagan’s home run to dead center field. Arroyo gave up hits to the next two batters but stranded them by striking out Buster Posey.

The Giants tacked on an unearned run in the fifth.

After Arroyo left, J.J. Hoover, Jose Arredondo, Aroldis Chapman and Sean Marshall pitched four innings of one-hit ball.

“You’ve got to tip your hats rest of the guys,” said Marshall, who earned his fourth save. “Hoover, Arredondo and Chapman. They kept us in the game long enough for the bats to wake up. Nothing like coming back to take a series in the second game.”http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...|text|Reds
After this post had 24 comments, it took me noticing that the word "Giants" was spelled "Gaints".....again.

Just for my curiosity, is that intentional? Like Duke is often spelled Puke or Dukk or the Tar Heels are called the Bar Wheels?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^BTW, I am not picking on the O.P, because I notice it with numerous Giants threads.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:After this post had 24 comments, it took me noticing that the word "Giants" was spelled "Gaints".....again.

Just for my curiosity, is that intentional? Like Duke is often spelled Puke or Dukk or the Tar Heels are called the Bar Wheels?

oops