Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds 4 - Marlins 0
Reds start out the season on a GREAT note! Complete domination against the Marlins!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
WIRE TO WIRE BABY!!! lol

great way to start the season, cueto looked good.
Cueto, Chapman, and Marshall looked amazing! Scott Rolen looked 27 instead of 37! BRUUUUUCE went yard to start of the season! Cozart has a triple that might have been an inside the parker if he had not slowed down going to 2nd base! Heisey comes about a foot away from a pinch hit homer but, still got a double! SO glad that it's finally baseball season and I am excited about the Reds!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Bruce will hit 10 more dingers than he had last year!
Like seing the Reds start off the season with a win.
Always good to start opening day off with the W!
Opening Day is totally different than any other day. There's the parade, the pomp, the flyover, the introductions, the big crowd, the anticipation. But once the first pitch heads toward, the game is exactly like the other 162.

You got to make plays to win games, and the Reds made the plays that were the difference Thursday. The Reds beat the Miami Marlins 4-0 Thursday before a regular-season record crowd of 42,956 at Great American Ball Park.

• Box score
• Take our Johnny Cueto quiz
• John Fay's Reds blog
• Follow John Fay on Twitter
• More news from Redleg Nation

"When you win on Opening Day, you get to kind of continue that feeling you had all day," right fielder Jay Bruce said. "It's a great day. It's a holiday. To get a win, to get the first one out of the way, you have a great night."

Johnny Cueto pitched brilliantly in his first Opening Day start. He threw seven innings of three-hit ball and the 4-0 score indicate a fairly routine win. But this was a 1-0 game going into the sixth and a 2-0 game going into the eighth.

But the Reds made the plays to get the game to eighth, where they scored two runs to wrap it up.

Bruce drove in half the runs with a sacrifice fly and a home run. But overall, It was nice, team win.

"It's very satisfying," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "What was overlooked was we played some great defense."

Let's take a look at the plays the game turned on:

--The Reds loaded the base in the first with one out for Bruce. Bruce fell behind 1-2, took two pitches to get the count full. He hit one out of the park to right -- just foul. But then he drove one to center for a sacrifice fly.

"My big goal today and all year really is to slow down and take what they give me," Bruce said. "From time to time in my career, my emotions have got the best of me. I slowed it down and took what he gave me."

--Scott Rolen made a play in the second inning on a ball Gaby Sanchez hit leading off the inning. His momentum carried him into foul territory. The ball gets by him, it's a double. Anything less than great throw, it's a single. Rolen threw him out.

"The play Scottie Rolen made was a play you make at midseason," Baker

--Cueto's first bit of trouble came in the sixth. He gave up a one-out single to Jose Reyes and walked Emilio Bonifacio. That brought up Hanley Ramirez. Cueto struck him out on 3-2 pitch. The runners were going. Ryan Haingan threw to third to get Reyes in a rundown. Inning over.

"That was a big strikeout," Baker said.

Cueto and Hanigan had a conference before the final two pitches.

"I was trying to work outside, inside outside, inside," Cueto said. "We had a little talk where we said we're not going to follow any signs. We'll just throw. I went outside and got him."

In the bottom of the inning, Rolen led off with a double. An out later, Ryan Ludwick doubled -- Ludwick's first hit as a Red -- to get Rolen in and make it 2-0.

Aroldis Chapman pitched a perfect eighth. He struck out two, including Reyes on 90 mph slider that Reyes missed by two feet.

The Reds broke it open in the eighth. Bruce led off with a home run. Pinch-hitter Chris Heisey made it 4-0 with an RBI double.

Closer Sean Marshall wrapped it up with 1-2-3 ninth in a non-save situation.http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...|text|Reds
Good game to watch
Glad to see Cueto start the year just as dominate as he finished last season.
J-Rod Wrote:Glad to see Cueto start the year just as dominate as he finished last season.

If he stays healthy, he's the difference in winning the Disision