Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shamrocks first to sweep KHSAA football, basketball titles
LEXINGTON, Ky. - Dennis Lampley coached Trinity (Louisville) to five state high school football championships before becoming athletic director, but he was overjoyed when the Shamrocks won their first state basketball title with a 71-53 victory over Scott County in Rupp Arena on Saturday night.

http://www.highschoolsports.net/sports/p...53655840/1

Trinity's Nathan Dieudonne and Miles Rice enjoy the closing moments of their state 6A championship win vs. Scott County. Trinity became the first school to win KHSAA titles in football and basketball in the same school year.

"No matter what I did, nothing compares with this,'' Lampley said as he watched the Trinity players celebrate their 17th straight win and 35th in 38 games before 14,064 fans who watched the 94th championship game of the PNC Kentucky High School Athletic Association Boys' Sweet 16 tournament.

"I've never felt like this before,'' Lampley said. "This is big-time special. I'm very proud. There is only one winner in basketball, and you know how hard it is to win this. It's absolutely amazing.''

In winning the title in only its second trip to the Sweet 16, Trinity became the first school in Kentucky to win a state football crown and the state basketball title in the same school year since the KHSAA began sanctioning the football playoffs in 1959.

St. Xavier (Louisville) won the Sweet 16 crown in March 1962 and then won the Class AAA football championship in the fall of '62, but that was the start of another school year (1962-63).

Last December, Trinity beat Scott County (Georgetown) 62-21 to win the 6-A football playoff, and that may be another first for the same two schools to clash in both finals the same school year.

The Shamrocks' starting forward, James Quick, was an All-State wide receiver in football, so he's going to get a second ring this school year, but he wouldn't say which title felt better.

"They're both exciting and we worked hard in both sports to do it,'' said Quick, who scored 10 points on 5-of-8 shooting against Scott County. "Trinity has never been known as a basketball school, but we are now. Winning both is exciting. I love to win. We played great ball all year.''

Lampley gives Trinity coach Mike Szabo a lot of the credit for the Shamrocks finally reaching the pinnacle of success in basketball.

"Look what he's been able to accomplish,'' Lampley said. "I don't know if it's talent or a lot of hard work, but Mike definitely deserves it if anybody does.''

Before the game, Trinity baseball coach Steven Tompkins jokingly said that "they're putting a lot of pressure on me.'' Trinity has been runner-up in baseball, but not a state champion.
They should win it every year with the amount of kids they have to select from compared to everyone else.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:They should win it every year with the amount of kids they have to select from compared to everyone else.

It appears that the new major sport in Kentucky is no longer football, basketball, or baseball. It is whining. Rather than make excuses for your lack of achievement, maybe you should do something that is sorely lacking in present day America. Try working harder. We don't need entitlement (welfare) programs for those who don't win on the playing field/court.

If you think you have a valid complaint with actual evidence of wrongdoing (I said "valid" with "evidence") take it to KHSAA. I'm sure they have heard it all this school year.
It's not whining....

It's called a Having a Level Playing Field........ Allow the public schools recruit OR stop the private schools from recruting.
Public Schools recuit just as much as the privates
I don't think he (OTH) was referring to recruiting as much as shear numbers of boys to choose from. It gives the larger schools a huge advantage in sports such as basketball and baseball in this state where all the schools are lumped together, but as I've said in other posts thats what makes Kentucky's basketball state tournament so special. Those very unique moments when a Shelby Valley or a Paintsville do the unthinkable. Congrats Shamrocks on a great accomplishment!!!!
Pulp Fiction Wrote:It's not whining....

It's called a Having a Level Playing Field........ Allow the public schools recruit OR stop the private schools from recruting.

All schools recruit in violation of KHSAA By-Law 10. Read section two of the by-law and you will see that any contact can be found to be included. It is not limited to official representatives of a school. It encompasses everyone from students to parents to any "interested" party.

No need to "allow" the publics to recruit. Most, particularly the successful ones, are quite proficient at it already. And, in real life, thankfully there is no such thing as a "level playing field". Some, like Trinity, prefer to earn their success.
I'm all about "earning success", that's why we practice, train in the off-season and play the game.
Having 2000 boys to choose from usually helps in having a good team, but sadly enough they have only made it to the sweet sixteen (correct me if i'm wrong) 2 times. which imo Trinity is a football focused school and they bring in alot of guys for football that are equally talented in basketball. As far as recruiting goes everyone does it.
OTH was meaning that basketball is not classed and with as many boys Trinity has to choose from they should win it every year. . How can Truth or anyone else honestly say that someone like Lynn Camp with 150 kids (that boys and girls) compete with a school who has 2000 boys and a lot of them good athletes.

If I was Trinity i wouldnt be happy about the win, id be ashamed that this was my first one.
This is exatly why i love when teams like the Shelby Valley team goes into state and kicks ass.
Class basketball. It needs to be done. Not to the extent of 6 classes IMO, but atleast make it 3 or 4.
Truth Wrote:It appears that the new major sport in Kentucky is no longer football, basketball, or baseball. It is whining. Rather than make excuses for your lack of achievement, maybe you should do something that is sorely lacking in present day America. Try working harder. We don't need entitlement (welfare) programs for those who don't win on the playing field/court.

If you think you have a valid complaint with actual evidence of wrongdoing (I said "valid" with "evidence") take it to KHSAA. I'm sure they have heard it all this school year.

This post cracks me up. Off The Hook's school is Paintsville, one of the smallest schools in Kentucky. They know a little bit about hard work and not making excuses. Despite their size they have won a state title in basketball and baseball.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:OTH was meaning that basketball is not classed and with as many boys Trinity has to choose from they should win it every year. . How can Truth or anyone else honestly say that someone like Lynn Camp with 150 kids (that boys and girls) compete with a school who has 2000 boys and a lot of them good athletes.

If I was Trinity i wouldnt be happy about the win, id be ashamed that this was my first one.
This is exatly why i love when teams like the Shelby Valley team goes into state and kicks ass.
Class basketball. It needs to be done. Not to the extent of 6 classes IMO, but atleast make it 3 or 4.

Classes would be fine but it will never happen in Kentucky. I recognize that it is difficult for little schools to compete with large schools. However, as long as the system remains as it is now, the small schools will have an uphill battle. When classes come up, most oppose any change in basketball.

In Lexington, Sayre has a hard time competing with Lafayette, Dunbar, Henry Clay, etc. Louisville Brown won't have much success against Ballard, Eastern, Trinity, St. Xavier, etc. The little schools have the Class A tournament and that offers somewhat of a consolation.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:OTH was meaning that basketball is not classed and with as many boys Trinity has to choose from they should win it every year. . How can Truth or anyone else honestly say that someone like Lynn Camp with 150 kids (that boys and girls) compete with a school who has 2000 boys and a lot of them good athletes.

Isn't that why they have the All "A" and isn't the winner crowned All "A" State Champion?
MustangSally Wrote:Isn't that why they have the All "A" and isn't the winner crowned All "A" State Champion?

lol, how many people give a crap about the All A?
How many people can name the pas 5 All A Champions?
Not many. Its not a state championship. Its a tournament for 1A schools.
But since you brough it up, lets say, a 3A school, Bell or Corbin then instead of a 1A since the All A is their "state championship. Corbin has around 300-350 boys in their school. Still over 1500 less than Trinity. Yet they have to much to be in the All A. So what now? Have a Triple A tournament? That would just be stupid.
Point is, of course Trinity should have won. Its not that big of an accomplishment. It is an accomplishment when a team like Shelby Valley wins it.