Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Sweet 16 wins by regions since 1995
Below is a list of the 16 regions and the number of Sweet 16 wins since 1995.

#1. Region 7- 34 wins
#2. Region 11- 30 wins
#3. Region 10- 21 wins
#4. Region 4- 19 wins
#5. Region 6- 18 wins
#5. Region 8- 18 wins
#7. Region 15- 17 wins
#8. Region 9- 16 wins
#9. Region 3- 14 wins
#10. Region 16- 13 wins
#11. Region 1- 12 wins
#12. Region 2- 11 wins
#12. Region 5- 11 wins
#14. Region 12- 10 wins
#15. Region 13- 8 wins
#16-. Region 14- 3 wins

A couple things stick out to me. First, everyone talks about how tough the 2 Louisville regions are. That is certainly the case with the 7th region. However, the 6th region has had no more success over this time period than the 10th, 4th or 8th regions.

While most people consider eastern Kentucky the weakest part of the state, that's not exactly true when talking about the 15th region. The 15th has been one of the better regions over this time period. They have won only 1 Sweet 16 game less than the powerful 6th region since 1995. The 15th also has a couple state championships.
not a shock to me, 12, 13, 14 near the bottom, that southern part of the state is the weakest in state to me, just east or west of 75 down at bottom of state... 5 of those wins as well for the 12th region came from west jessamine which is a suburb of lexington.
The 8th's number will be much lower over the next 20 years. Their large number is almost all Scott County, who is now in the 11th. The 15th has a nice number, and I'm sure that's mostly due to Shelby Valley's run, and the Paintsville teams in the mid to late 90s. The 14th, my region, pitiful...I only hope it gets better.
Norm Wrote:The 8th's number will be much lower over the next 20 years. Their large number is almost all Scott County, who is now in the 11th. The 15th has a nice number, and I'm sure that's mostly due to Shelby Valley's run, and the Paintsville teams in the mid to late 90s. The 14th, my region, pitiful...I only hope it gets better.

You're correct about Scott County, although Oldham had some very talented teams in 2001, 2002 and 2003 but never really did much in the Sweet 16. You are also correct about the 15th. Paintsville was a state powerhouse in 96-98.
15th is pretty high.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
For a school as small as it is, I find it amazing what Paintsville has accomplished in the big three sports (football, basketball and baseball) in the past. They have been a powerhouse.
didnt realize the 11th was that close to the 7th in the count
^We have had a rough go at it as of late. But, the future is looking much bright in The Ville.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis