Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Vs Betsy Layne (15th Region 1st Round)
Bl coaching staff with 3 days to prepare will be tough to handle. Teams are about even JR newsome and the bl assistants are superior to pikeville in my opinion, so therefore I'll take bl by 5-10
phil ivey Wrote:Bl coaching staff with 3 days to prepare will be tough to handle. Teams are about even JR newsome and the bl assistants are superior to pikeville in my opinion, so therefore I'll take bl by 5-10
They had EIGHT DAYS to prepare for Pikeville and got beat by 19 at home on Senior Night. Don't place too much stock in that. It's tourney time, and all that is out the window.
PHSForever Wrote:Don't read too much into overall season stats. In the game at the Expo (won by BL), Pikeville attempted 18 total free throws to BL's 26, Will Branham couldn't buy a shot and was struggling with the flu, Rowe was still recovering from the seperated shoulder and most of his points came at the free throw line (I think it accounted for 12 of his 21 points), and Hamilton was still recovering from a sprained ankle. In the second game (won by Pikeville), PHS attempted 14 free throws and BL attempted 14 free throws (in other words, a little more evenly called game), and the team was/is more healthy compared to then. Overall, as Panther Thunder said, Pikeville is playing a little better at this point in the season. But I expect Coach Newsome to have his team ready, it will NOT be an easy game by any means. I'm going with Pikeville in this one by 5.

PHS IMO 26-18 in free throws in not that much of a difference. I dont think it played a role in Pikeville's 19 point loss (if memory serves me correct). As far as injuries both teams had key players hurt. The Panthers of course avenged there loss by a 19 point win over the Bobcats in there 2nd meeting.
With that being said i dont think this game will be like either of the prior 2 meetings. Everything is on the line tonight, so i expect it to be a cat fight till the end. IMO ever who has the ball last will win. To close to call as these teams match up well. Good luck to both on an injury free game. I will be pulling for the Bobcats since there from my district.
PHSForever Wrote:They had EIGHT DAYS to prepare for Pikeville and got beat by 19 at home on Senior Night. Don't place too much stock in that. It's tourney time, and all that is out the window.

What your not realizing is that games at the end of te year like that do not matter. Im sure bl spent very little time preparing strictly for pikeville in those days off. You don't change thongs up show defenses or try things you've been working on in end of season games simply so that you don't show your hand before tourney time. If it were me I would have rather lost that game by 19 then to have won it.
How many days did the BL staff have to prepare for Prestonsburg??? Or did that 1 not matter either???
phil ivey Wrote:What your not realizing is that games at the end of te year like that do not matter. Im sure bl spent very little time preparing strictly for pikeville in those days off. You don't change thongs up show defenses or try things you've been working on in end of season games simply so that you don't show your hand before tourney time. If it were me I would have rather lost that game by 19 then to have won it.

lol what?!....I'd rather not lose at all.

anyway, like both sides have said, throw the stats from the first two meetings out.

This is a whole new ballgame, IMO the first half of this game the teams will get a touch for what each other is trying to do, then the adjustments at halftime will win the game.
Or was that part of master coaching techniques to go in as a loser, as to suprise everyone? Obviously you don't play, because I guarantee not 1 player I know would say they would rather lose a game, that may or may not be meaningless, by 19 as to win the game.
Pikeville 60 BL 54
Betsy Layne didn't have anytime to really prepare for Prestonsburg due to the snow during the District. They played South Floyd and Prestonsburg back to back! I think BL by 10!!! Go Bobcats
Micro-Brew Wrote:How many days did the BL staff have to prepare for Prestonsburg??? Or did that 1 not matter either???

BL had no time...BL was the 1 seed in the 58th district and they had to play back to back nights..
Oooohhh. So that's why BL lost?? Well I hope for your guys sake you don't win the region and make it to the sweet sixteen, where you might have to play back to back days again, or maybe even multiple games in one day.
Micro-Brew Wrote:Or was that part of master coaching techniques to go in as a loser, as to suprise everyone? Obviously you don't play, because I guarantee not 1 player I know would say they would rather lose a game, that may or may not be meaningless, by 19 as to win the game.
Exactly! Especially on Senior night. That argument is ludicrous.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:PHS IMO 26-18 in free throws in not that much of a difference. I dont think it played a role in Pikeville's 19 point loss (if memory serves me correct). As far as injuries both teams had key players hurt. The Panthers of course avenged there loss by a 19 point win over the Bobcats in there 2nd meeting.
With that being said i dont think this game will be like either of the prior 2 meetings. Everything is on the line tonight, so i expect it to be a cat fight till the end. IMO ever who has the ball last will win. To close to call as these teams match up well. Good luck to both on an injury free game. I will be pulling for the Bobcats since there from my district.
Good points. What I should have clarified about the free throws was that I believe Rowe shot 12 or 13 of them. No one else was getting any calls. But I agree with what you are saying. I was just pointing out how the two games were different. Thanks. It will be a battle tonight for sure!
Rider Dad Wrote:Betsy Layne didn't have anytime to really prepare for Prestonsburg due to the snow during the District. They played South Floyd and Prestonsburg back to back! I think BL by 10!!! Go Bobcats

They had already played them 3 times prior to this game. How much time did they need? There was only 1 day difference in the time P'burg had before the game.
PHSForever Wrote:Good points. What I should have clarified about the free throws was that I believe Rowe shot 12 or 13 of them. No one else was getting any calls. But I agree with what you are saying. I was just pointing out how the two games were different. Thanks. It will be a battle tonight for sure!

LOL, not being a smart butt or anything, but usually Rowe has the ball most of the game. Yeah cant wait to see tonights game. Could be the best game of the tournament. Forgot to mention if i where a Panther fan i wouldnt want anyone other than Rowe or Branham getting that many chances at the line.
Should be a heck of a game! I'm taking Pikeville by 5!

Pikeville - 61

Betsy Layne - 56
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
The senior night game 100 percent didnt matter unlike the game in the all a tournament which surely did matter.....and yes no PLAYER ever is ok with a loss but as a coach I would rather lose the game by 19 when I didn't matter at ALL an be ready for tonight
PHSForever Wrote:They had EIGHT DAYS to prepare for Pikeville and got beat by 19 at home on Senior Night. Don't place too much stock in that. It's tourney time, and all that is out the window.

It is a good thing they didn't have 8 days this time or they might have won by 30