Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logan Co 60 - South Warren 43
he Logan County boys’ basketball team hasn’t lost in more than a month.
And the Cougars’ winning streak will live at least a few more days, thanks to a 60-49 win over South Warren (8-19) on Friday at SWHS.
LCHS (19-8) overcame sloppy first-half play and pulled away late in the third quarter. That ran its winning streak to 11 games, dating back to a win over Russellville on Jan. 6.
“I knew coming in here, we were going to have our hands full because (SWHS) plays hard and is well-coached,” LCHS coach Harold Tackett said. “I’m really happy to get out of here with a win.”
The Spartans kept the Cougars within striking distance for much of the game, coming back from a 23-16 second-quarter deficit to tie things at 30 early in the third quarter.
But LCHS senior forward Sajuan Watkins took over in the post, scoring seven points between the 5:45 and 1:58 marks of the third quarter.
The transfer from RHS finished with 13 points.
His three-point play, followed by a fast-break layup from fellow senior forward Twin Lancaster, helped the Cougars take a 42-35 lead into the fourth quarter.
“I think Sajuan Watkins stood out tonight,” Lancaster said. “Getting rebounds and putting them back up and going to the hole.
“He’s got all kinds of potential. He can jump, he can shoot the little elbow jumper, he’s athletic.”
Lancaster also had a big performance Friday, notching 17 points while staying out of foul trouble. He scored 10 of his points in the second half.
“(Lancaster) can catch it and put it on the floor, he can catch it and shoot it, and then probably the best thing he does is just go get it,” SWHS coach Derrick Clubb said. “It’s almost like every shot is a pass to him, that’s the mindset he has.”
The Cougars finished 15 of 18 from the foul line, keeping the Spartans from getting back in the game late.
Senior forward Aratan Martin scored 14 points for LCHS to join Watkins and Lancaster as double-digit scorers.
Junior guard Travis Hardcastle and sophomore forward Brad Logsdon led SWHS offensively with 14 and 10 points apiece.
On the Spartans’ senior night, senior forward Heath Holloman and senior guard Josh Bartley both scored five points.
“We’re a new program. ... I’m just really proud of our five seniors,” Clubb said. “They’re great young men, great in the classroom, they represent the school well and I thought they came out here and battled tonight.”
The Cougars will put their 11-game winning streak on the line Tuesday against University Heights.
Clubb said he could see the LCHS streak keep rolling deep into tournament play.
“They’re one of the best teams in our region,” Clubb said. “I think they’ve got a chance to go to the state tournament.”
LCHS 11 17 14 18 – 60
SWHS 10 14 11 14 – 49
LCHS – Lancaster 17, Martin 14, Watkins 13, Ryan Harper 6, Torin Graham 5, Clint Knight 4, Tahmir Graham 1
SWHS – Hardcastle 14, Logsdon 10, Bartley 5, Holloman 5, Luke Easley 4, Austin Bybee 4, Jordan Buchanan 3, C. Wilken 2, E. Iyiegbunnie 2.