Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LC's "Big Country" makes it official with Marshall University;
Louisa, Ky - LC's Tyler Combs sealed the deal this past Wednesday by signing to play for Marshall University. The 6-foot-5, 275-pound offensive lineman is a two time All-State selection and made the All-Bluegrass team by being one of the best 36 players in the state of Kentucky. Combs was greeted by family, friends, teammates & former coaches in the LCHS library as he sported his new colors, kelly green on National Signing Day as his parents, Michelle & Dave were in attendance by his side.

"This is an awesome oppurtunity and a great time to celebrate on what Tyler is going to do," said LC football coach Joey Cecil. "Here is a kid that can go on and become better than what he has accomplished here at LC and that's what he has in front of him. I'm just happy for him and wish him the best." Coach Cecil has coached Combs 3 yrs as an assistant and took over as head coach in his senior year.

This past season on the grid-iron for the Bulldogs, Combs played in all 11 games and helped the blocking attack as the offense put up 3,473 of total yards, 2,594 yards on the ground & 879 yards through the air. Combs had the only interception go back for a touchdown for the Dawgs as he went 37 yds on the return and was 5th on the team with 65 solo tackles.

Tyler Combs on National Signing Day for high shool students"It means alot to have everybody around today because it's just not me going to Marshall, it's the community also," Combs said. "Being just 30-45 minutes away everyone can check in to see how I'm doing. Hopefully after a couple of years & working my butt off I can work my way into a starting position, that's the goal for myself - get down there and get to work."

Combs was recruited by former LC Bulldog & Marshall University player, Phil Ratliff. Ratliff coached at LC from 1994-1999 and was a two time All-American offensive lineman at MU from 1989 to 1992 and also served as captain of the Herd's 1992 Division 1-AA National Championship team. Ratliff was inducted into the MU Athletic Hall of Fame in 2008 where is was the tight ends coach from 2006-2012, he recently left MU to take a coaching job a UNC Charlotte.

Combs former head coach, Luke Salmons who took over Cabell Midland's program this past season, was in attendence for this special moment for Combs.

"Tyler has been great, he's been like a son to me since seventh grade," said Salmons. "It's been an honor to coach him and I'm so happy he'll be able to share it with you guys by being so close to Lawrence Co. and you can be involved in what he's doing. Tyler is a great kid and now it's on him and he's got to get it done and it's going to be hard. There's not many people that go to Division I around here and that's what a lot of people don't understand. He'll do great, he just has a lot of work ahead of him to get it done."

After LC's season was over Combs had surgery on Dec. 12th on his right ankle to repair ligament damage and remove bone fragments. He got out of the walking boot this past Tuesday and started physical therapy on Thursday, a day after his signing.

"I got out of the boot on Tuesday and have to wear an ankle brace on it and I really haven't had any pain," said Combs. "I know I have a long road ahead of me to recover from this, anytime you get cut on it's a big deal especially to get back to where I was before I head to Marshall. I'm ready to get rolling, get back to being strong again and just get myself back in shape and ready for the next level."

http://www.thelevisalazer.com/index.php?...Itemid=235
Congrats young man.
Nice pics. Congratulations.
Congrats to the young man, hope his therapy goes well.
Congrats to a very deserving kid!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Congrats
Congrats to Mr. Combs!
Congrats "Big Country"
Congrats to the young man.
Good luck