Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Clark 43 Letcher Central 39 (WYMT Classic)
Final
Congrats to Coach Spurlock and his team
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stats?
SC kept LCC in foul trouble the whole second half
Justin Johnson with 15 and 14 and BJ Moore with 12
sounds like some defense was played lol
IntheZone Wrote:sounds like some defense was played lol

SC only had 1 basket in the 3rd QT
Congrats Cards. I said SC by 3.
LCC dominated 3 out of 4Qs. Cougars up by 8 going into the 4th. And like always, seemed to give the game to SC. LCC had 7 TO in the early part of
4th. Very sloppy game both ways.

Must say that LCC is a huge let down so far this year. Having 4 returning starters from last years 21-12 team, (3 are seniors), and letting teams come from way behind to beat you in the 4th is pathetic! Last game Knott went on a 18-0 run the last of 3rd and into the 4th to win by 6 and tonight SC went on a 12-4 run in the 4th to win by 4, just to name the most recent (there have been too many to name them all)! Not sure whats going on but it is evident to all of cougar nation that something is wrong and a shame for all the great talent on this team to go to waste. More talent on this team than any other LCC team since the school opened.

Whatever the problem: a player, a coach, not enough practice, etc. something needs to be done NOW so that the 2nd half of the season can be better! I would rather get beat every game by 20+ with players who hustled and gave 110% than to lose the way LCC has lost over the past 2 seasons! :insane:
brinkley Wrote:LCC dominated 3 out of 4Qs. Cougars up by 8 going into the 4th. And like always, seemed to give the game to SC. LCC had 7 TO in the early part of

Must say that LCC is a huge let down so far this year. Having 4 returning starters from last years 21-12 team, (3 are seniors), and letting teams come from way behind to beat you in the 4th is pathetic! Last game Knott went on a 18-0 run the last of 3rd and into the 4th to win by 6 and tonight SC went on a 12-4 run in the 4th to win by 4, just to name the most recent (there have been too many to name them all)! Not sure whats going on but it is evident to all of cougar nation that something is wrong and a shame for all the great talent on this team to go to waste. More talent on this team than any other LCC team since the school opened.

Whatever the problem: a player, a coach, not enough practice, etc. something needs to be done NOW so that the 2nd half of the season can be better! I would rather get beat every game by 20+ with players who hustled and gave 110% than to lose the way LCC has lost over the past 2 seasons! :insane:

I thought this was the team that was supposed to be great? What happened tonight?
Nice game by two very good teams.
brinkley Wrote:LCC dominated 3 out of 4Qs. Cougars up by 8 going into the 4th. And like always, seemed to give the game to SC. LCC had 7 TO in the early part of

LCC is painful to watch at times. They stand way too much on both ends of the floor which I believe is a result of the slow deliberate style of play. The kids don't play hard for their coach. Can't recall a signature win for this program since Hammonds took over. This may be the most athletic club in the mountains (all 5 starters can dunk easily) but are forced to play slow ball.
I can tell you what I saw as mistake number one. When they run with the ball, LCC hit their shots far better than SC and Stewart was getting all the rebounds. Instead of taking advantage of that and speeding the game up a little, LCC would get 5 or 6 points ahead and then would slow it down and start holding the ball. The first three quaters of this game was so boring I thought I was going to fall asleep. When SC tied it up or went ahead they would run again but only until they got the lead back. Why let them hang around like that? Leaves the door open for them to beat you in the end. I think the LCC needs to play a faster pace game the whole game.
It took SC nearly 3 1/2 quarters to get comfortable in this game. In the pre game thread I predicted too much BJ Moore down the stretch and this was the case as he scored 12 points in the final 5:50. I would have never guessed that would be his only points of the game. No way should Sheldon Clark have won this game, it was burglarly.
ANEWPAT Wrote:I can tell you what I saw as mistake number one. When they run with the ball, LCC hit their shots far better than SC and Stewart was getting all the rebounds. Instead of taking advantage of that and speeding the game up a little, LCC would get 5 or 6 points ahead and then would slow it down and start holding the ball. The first three quaters of this game was so boring I thought I was going to fall asleep. When SC tied it up or went ahead they would run again but only until they got the lead back. Why let them hang around like that? Leaves the door open for them to beat you in the end. I think the LCC needs to play a faster pace game the whole game.

They had Perry Central down with about 4 minutes to go in the regional semis last year when he decided to put it in the deep freeze. It put a lot of pressure on the players to make every free throw and not turn the ball over. When the defense does not have anything to lose by gambling you are in trouble. From what I have seen this coach wants to not only call every play from the bench each possession, but he would also like to decide every pass if he could. Great coaches prepare their players in practice and let them play in the games.
High Sheriff Wrote:They had Perry Central down with about 4 minutes to go in the regional semis last year when he decided to put it in the deep freeze. It put a lot of pressure on the players to make every free throw and not turn the ball over. When the defense does not have anything to lose by gambling you are in trouble. From what I have seen this coach wants to not only call every play from the bench each possession, but he would also like to decide every pass if he could. Great coaches prepare their players in practice and let them play in the games.

I was at that game last year, and you are right. And the one team you don't want to slow the game down with is PCC. Hatcher is a master at winning at slow ball.
For one.....WE (LCC) cannot take care of the ball to save our lives. And I am not blaming anything on one player, but it seems like one just does useless stuff with the ball at meaningless times. Certain players on this team thinks they are WAY BETTER than they really are. Just dribble the basketball without always having to go between your legs or crossing over when...you don't have to crossover...or make no look passes...when you don't have to make no look passes. Fundamentals is killing this team. Screens is something we should do more of especially as physical as this team is and the style of basketball we play. Backdoor cuts...just the simple things. I do feel that we are better than East Ridge, Sheldon Clark and Abingdon, 3 teams that we have lost too. But Sheldon Clark has some very good wins this year, just hate to see one get away like last night and the KCC game. All to familiar! Go Cougars~
Everyone has posted some really good points about LCC and whats going wrong with this team. I say, take all 5 starters and bench them. Play the JV. At least the JV will give you 110% and those kids act like they want to play, unlike our starting 5.

I do think that Hammonds is a good coach when he has certain types of players i.e J. Polson. I just don't think that he is using this teams abililites the best he can. LCC needs to push the ball more, play a much faster game. Gregory and Johnson can score in transition very easily and we all know what a beast Stewart is. Our biggest problem is the lack of shooters on the team and making unforced turnovers

I just want LCC to come out one game against a good team and play their hearts out for all 4Qs. If we(LCC) can ever find a way to do this, we can beat anybody! GO COUGARS!
This was one of the most boring games i have seen in a long time. I mean Lcc played a great game against KNott the other night and really looked like they were coming into their own and SC has been playing well when they have all their players. This was not the two teams that showed up for this one. It was totally ridiculous to have to watch these teams play last night. Someone said the Johnson kid was being looked at by Indiana???? WOW, their whole team only had 23 pts at the end of the 3rd quarter and Letcher's defense is not great by far. Every time LCC went in to Steward he scored but they didn't do it near enough. LCC needs to find a guard, because SC weak press caused them major problems especially in the 4th, where they caused 7 or 8 stupid turnovers. It was just a terrible game by both teams and if they both play like this on Thursday for LCC and Friday for SC, they will get drilled by Harlan and Buckhorn.
EKYHoops Wrote:This was one of the most boring games i have seen in a long time. I mean Lcc played a great game against KNott the other night and really looked like they were coming into their own and SC has been playing well when they have all their players. This was not the two teams that showed up for this one. It was totally ridiculous to have to watch these teams play last night. Someone said the Johnson kid was being looked at by Indiana???? WOW, their whole team only had 23 pts at the end of the 3rd quarter and Letcher's defense is not great by far. Every time LCC went in to Steward he scored but they didn't do it near enough. LCC needs to find a guard, because SC weak press caused them major problems especially in the 4th, where they caused 7 or 8 stupid turnovers. It was just a terrible game by both teams and if they both play like this on Thursday for LCC and Friday for SC, they will get drilled by Harlan and Buckhorn.
Them grind it out games matter much more in March then a 77-74 slobber knocker. Probably wasn't a very exciting game for anybody except the two fan bases. I disagree about the LCC defense. I thought they played excellent D for much of the entire game. Dunbar is the best team SC has played this season and Letcher plays just as good defense as them. If there is a team around here that plays better than LCC defensively then kudos to you, see ya in March at Rupp. As far as Johnson goes, he is a 15 year old 10th grader that never stayed back in middle school like most talented kids around here do. He's not even close to maturing yet physically. He had 15 and 14 last night against a MAN in Stewart. Will he ever step foot on the IU court? maybe not but he has the potential to. When Nike sponsored AAU teams whose had over 100 D-1 and multiple NBA players come calling, theres reason.