Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manual 69 - Mercy 53
Manual wins the 2011 Republic Bank Holiday Classic at Lexington Catholic.
Manual avenged last year’s loss to Mercy in the Republic Bank Holiday Classic title game Friday night with a 69-53 win over the Jaguars for the championship at Lexington Catholic.

Manual remains undefeated at 11-0. Mercy dropped to 8-1.

Manual guard April Wilson, named the tournament MVP, fought off leg cramps late in the game and posted 13 points. Forward Kayla Styles notched a double-double with 13 points and 14 rebounds, and guard Loren Bodine led the team with 16 points — including 4 of 6 3-pointers.

Guard Whitney Hartlage led the Jaguars with 17 points. Forward Courtney Roush had 13 points, 17 rebounds and was 7 of 8 at the free-throw line.

Trailing 41-25 at halftime, Mercy opened the second half with a renewed effort. The Jaguars got two quick baskets from Courtney Roush and Hartlage, and with some free throws, Mercy moved to within 41-35.

Manual guard Leasia Wright passed to Kara Wright, who made a key basket with 5:22 left in the third period.

After that, the Jaguars were unable to close the gap.

“We didn’t match their intensity in the first four minutes of the third,” Manual coach Stacy Pendleton said.

Pendleton said he thought about calling a timeout early in the Jaguars’ rally but decided against it.

“I really wanted to see what they could do,” he said, referring to his team. “I wanted to see how they would react.”

Pendleton praised the efforts of guard Leasia Wright, who contributed six defensive rebounds while playing with a sprained ankle.

Styles said the biggest challenge was “keeping our heads and making sure we didn’t let them back in the game when we had the lead.”

“We kept our composure. We knew it would happen because we play them a lot of times.”

The Crimsons shot 45 percent from the field, compared with 34 percent for the Jaguars. Mercy boasted the edge in rebounding 35-34.

“I was really proud of our second half,” Mercy coach Mark Evans said. “I watched Manual play in the early (semifinal) game, and that’s the best they’ve looked in a couple of years. They were fantastic.

http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...le?Avis=B2
Mercy 14 11 17 11 - 53
Manual 20 21 17 11 - 69
Mercy (8-1) - Courtney Roush 13, Christine Roush 5, Malerie Martin 4, Hartlage 17, Kayla Richardson 6, Keck 4, Doherty 2, Dircksen 2.Manual (11-0) - Styles 13, Kara Wright 14, Bodine 16, Wilson 13, Leasia Wright 3, Curry 8, Tabitha Mitchell 2.3-point goals - Bodine 4, Wilson 2, Curry 2, Hartlage 3.