Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ban on Christmas Begins
An Ottawa school recently decided to cancel a Christmas concert in favour of a "non-denominational" February Fest, much to the chagrin of many at the school community. The intent behind the decision was "inclusiveness" for certain minority cultures. A craft night will now replace what could have been a beautiful display of the magnificently joyous sounds and sights of Christmas. Principal Mhairi Rowland of Cambridge Public School, Ottawa explained her decision in the following words:

"As our school community continues to grow, we welcome more families who do not celebrate Christmas. It is our belief that these students deserve the opportunity to take part in the concert experience too."

Lovely sentiments, but do members of various minority faith communities even want a concert of their own?

One must also ask if choral music is part of the cultural heritage of individuals who celebrate Eid, Diwali or Baisakhi? Choral music is traditionally associated with Christmas, but is it also associated with Eid or Diwali? One would imagine not.

Indeed each religious community has its own distinct style of celebrating its religious holidays. The distinctive feature of Christmas is carol singing and choir music among other festivities. It is therefore surprising that Principal Rowland feels compelled to deliver a concert to those who have no tradition of choral music, while denying the opportunity to those who do.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/farzana-has...ird%20News
Honestly I'm going to file a lawsuit that Happy Holidays offends me because I do not celebrate holidays and see if anything gets done because I'm a white majority. Its freaking stupid how foreigners have more rights then we do. They came here if they don't want to celebrate our holidays they don't have to. But we shouldn't change for no one.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Honestly I'm going to file a lawsuit that Happy Holidays offends me because I do not celebrate holidays and see if anything gets done because I'm a white majority. Its freaking stupid how foreigners have more rights then we do. They came here if they don't want to celebrate our holidays they don't have to. But we shouldn't change for no one.
For the record, I'm all for celebrating Christmas, because that's what my family has always done. But, using your logic, unless you are native American, you too are a foreigner, and should celebrate whatever the Indians do. That, and there are a lot of families that don't celebrate Christmas, that have been here for generations. For the record, I think the School should go ahead and have whatever they had first planned on having, and whoever didn't want to go, didn't have to.
TheRealVille Wrote:For the record, I'm all for celebrating Christmas, because that's what my family has always done. But, using your logic, unless you are native American, you too are a foreigner, and should celebrate whatever the Indians do. That, and there are a lot of families that don't celebrate Christmas, that have been here for generations. For the record, I think the School should go ahead and have whatever they had first planned on having, and whoever didn't want to go, didn't have to.

Once you conquer a country and hold a Government there for 200 years id believe that makes it your home. It's no longer the NAtive American indians land... So no we are not Foreigners. Instead of Foreigner ill use Minority? Happy?
Damn Canadians. I knew there was something shifty about them
nky Wrote:Damn Canadians. I knew there was something shifty about them
They're just one step removed from those damn French.
Yea those croissant eating snail munching wine sipping Froggies:igiveup:
Q: How do you get a French waiter's attention?
A: Start ordering in German.
Q: Why do the French like smelly cheeses?
A: Well, in a room full of French people, you can't really smell the cheese.
Why wouldn't the Statue of Liberty work in France? Because she has only one arm raised.
Why do the french get more votes in the U.N. They vote with both hands
The French have only one actual fighting war hero, Joan of Arc, and they turned her over to the enemy!
Why did the French celebrate their World Cup Championship in 2000 so wildly? It was their first time they won anything without the help of the U.S.
How did the French react to German reunification? They put up speed bumps at the borders to slow down the panzers.
A man askes his companion, "What's the most common French expression"? His friend scratches his head, shrugs his shoulders and replies, "I give up!"
The Tour de France is so popular with the French because it's the one sport where you don't need balls.

Thank you I'll be here all week. Try the veal and tip your waiters
NKY, I think you forgot which thread you were in.... Smile
Those Frenchies get me every time
To all our French posters(put your hands down-sorry)

Joyeux Noel
Here we go again...

People should quit looking at what's wrong with Christmas by trying to take everything out of it because it is "offensive," and instead look at the good of it.

The show South Park is as bad as it comes, but they prove a great point in their first Christmas episode. The kids try to put together a Christmas play at school only for it to be ruined by parents and others who are offended by displays of Nativity scenes, Christmas trees, etc. The school removes everything offensive from the play to make it the most "non-offensive Christmas ever." The kids put together a terrible play for Christmas because everything they could have used was removed because of it being offensive. The town goes into a riot blaming each other for ruining Christmas. At the end Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo steps in (Yeah it's strange, I know lol) and points out how people need to look at what Christmas is about. It's a great episode, pretty funny and I think it proves a good point at how our society needs to quit being overly sensitive and enjoy this great day.
Were turning into pansys, seriouly.
I know alot of different kinds of people...those I know that don't celebrate Christmas, like Muslims, celebrate it bigger than most Christians I know, just for the idea of lights and cookies and presents, all that crap.

This shit is alot worse in our own country. But meh...I gave up on Americans about two years ago.
WideRight05 Wrote:Here we go again...

People should quit looking at what's wrong with Christmas by trying to take everything out of it because it is "offensive," and instead look at the good of it.

The show South Park is as bad as it comes, but they prove a great point in their first Christmas episode. The kids try to put together a Christmas play at school only for it to be ruined by parents and others who are offended by displays of Nativity scenes, Christmas trees, etc. The school removes everything offensive from the play to make it the most "non-offensive Christmas ever." The kids put together a terrible play for Christmas because everything they could have used was removed because of it being offensive. The town goes into a riot blaming each other for ruining Christmas. At the end Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo steps in (Yeah it's strange, I know lol) and points out how people need to look at what Christmas is about. It's a great episode, pretty funny and I think it proves a good point at how our society needs to quit being overly sensitive and enjoy this great day.
Hiddddeeeeehhhhhhhoooooooooooooo.
wildcatk23 Wrote:once you conquer a country and hold a government there for 200 years id believe that makes it your home. it's no longer the native american indians land... So no we are not foreigners. Instead of foreigner ill use minority? Happy?
huh?
He in AMERICA WE SAY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR IF THIS OFFENS YOU GET THE HE!! OUT.
TheRealVille Wrote:huh?

Your not very good at this sarcasm thing are u. lol