Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell must get new coaches
You can agree or disagree, let me hear ur comments, even from opposing teams, I bleed marron but its getting harder and harder for me to go to and watch a football game, this ship has been sinking for years and its time to keep it from hitting bottom, of coarse being beat by little brother 4 years running might b close. God help us if we were to play Fairview. I don't know what it will take for Ivan to step down but by him staying its ruining RUSSELL FOOTBALL
mightydog Wrote:You can agree or disagree, let me hear ur comments, even from opposing teams, I bleed marron but its getting harder and harder for me to go to and watch a football game, this ship has been sinking for years and its time to keep it from hitting bottom, of coarse being beat by little brother 4 years running might b close. God help us if we were to play Fairview. I don't know what it will take for Ivan to step down but by him staying its ruining RUSSELL FOOTBALL

Well, you can write a book about this if you like, but I'll conclude this argument with this statement: Coach McGlone is there as long as he wants to be.
LWC Wrote:I am going to add a team to this list as a DARKHORSE:

Russell County.

They return practically everyone, I think something like 20 starters!

I believe that playoff inexperience/"curse" will hurt them though. Hard to contend in the playoffs when you have never won a playoff game.

Go ahead and laugh, they will be VERY good. Everyone laughed when I said they would win district, and they finished in a 3-way tie with a bunch of Sophomores and Juniors.

The above is from the 2012 4A favorites thread

I am confused...Russell needs a new coach, Russell will compete for the 4A title.
Blau Vogel Wrote:The above is from the 2012 4A favorites thread

I am confused...Russell needs a new coach, Russell will compete for the 4A title.

This is Russell, a 3A team in EKY, different from Russell County. Usually a title contender in their division, but has been a little down the past 2 - 3 years.
Blau Vogel Wrote:The above is from the 2012 4A favorites thread

He is talking about Russell High School near Ashland. They compete in 3A. The school you have quoted in your post is Russell County located somewhere in Western KY.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WideRight05 Wrote:This is Russell, a 3A team in EKY, different from Russell County. Usually a title contender in their division, but has been a little down the past 2 - 3 years.

my bad...
I can count on one hand the number of coaches who have earned the right to pick the date they retire. Ivan McGlone is one of them. The day he feels he is no longer effective he will step aside.
I love threads like this. They provide such insight on fans of a program and help the kids work hard to improve
Belfry fans were saying this same thing back in the late 90's about Haywood...then he had the best decade of his coaching career.
nky Wrote:I love threads like this. They provide such insight on fans of a program and help the kids work hard to improve

I've got a lot of insite and knowledge about the program, the kids don't work hard now, off season lifting and conditioning is a joke, the players are never in shape, always sucking wind and cramping up towards the end of 3rd quarter, I've talked with a lot of players parents and a lot of future players parents and they all feel the same but won't admit it out loud, they feel stuck, didn't and don't want to transfer their kids, just bite the bullet and make the best of it
mightydog Wrote:I've got a lot of incite and knowledge about the program, the kids don't work hard now, off season lifting and conditioning is a joke, the players are never in shape, always sucking wind and cramping up towards the end of 3rd quarter, I've talked with a lot of players parents and a lot of future players parents and they all feel the same but won't admit it out loud, they feel stuck, didn't and don't want to transfer their kids, just bite the bullet and make the best of it
In that case use the proper forum (this isn't it)

Dr. Susan E. Compton-Superintendent-606-836-9679
Allan Thompson-Principal, RHS-606-836-9658
Sam Sparks- AD-606-836-9658

I'm sure with your vast knowledge and insight these people would love to hear from you
I agree with NKY pissing and moaning on a message board isn't going to solve much!!!!
Pigskinman53 Wrote:I agree with NKY pissing and moaning on a message board isn't going to solve much!!!!

This coaching staff isn't going to solve much either, I can't be proven wrong on any point I've made, if you know football all you have to do is watch the games
I played for and coached against Coach Morriss. Outstanding coach! McGlone has been to state since 2005. How many coaches can say that in his class?
Blau Vogel Wrote:my bad...

It happens. You'll catch me at it sometime or another. Big Grin

That being said, I don't know if the coaching staff is the problem at Russell. It's tough to be a good team year in and year out in EKY. Out of the whole area, the only one that comes to my mind that has been consistently good is Ashland, and they haven't been a powerhouse outside of the area. JC has had a good run the past 5 years, but still not a whole lot to show for it. It's just tough to be a title contender every year in that area. And Russell's only 5 or 6 years removed from 2 straight state title game appearances and a win in one. It's not like they've been down in the dumps. Plus, didn't they make the regional final just one year ago?
Pigskinman53 Wrote:I agree with NKY pissing and moaning on a message board isn't going to solve much!!!!
How am I pissing and moaning? Being anonymous behind a keyboard and bad mouthing a group of coaches and kids in this manor in my humble opinion is wrong.
Yeah, it's wrong!
WideRight05 Wrote:It happens. You'll catch me at it sometime or another. Big Grin

That being said, I don't know if the coaching staff is the problem at Russell. It's tough to be a good team year in and year out in EKY. Out of the whole area, the only one that comes to my mind that has been consistently good is Ashland, and they haven't been a powerhouse outside of the area. JC has had a good run the past 5 years, but still not a whole lot to show for it. It's just tough to be a title contender every year in that area. And Russell's only 5 or 6 years removed from 2 straight state title game appearances and a win in one. It's not like they've been down in the dumps. Plus, didn't they make the regional final just one year ago?
BINGO!!!!!! How many programs around here have done that? Every thought they might be down in talent some? Schools like Ashland + JC have a slew of more kids walking the hallway to choose from too.

nky Wrote:How am I pissing and moaning? Being anonymous behind a keyboard and bad mouthing a group of coaches and kids in this manor in my humble opinion is wrong.
so Pigskinman I think miss read your post

[Image: http://www.johnshelleysjournal.com/MeaCulpa.gif]
nky Wrote:In that case use the proper forum (this isn't it)

Dr. Susan E. Compton-Superintendent-606-836-9679
Allan Thompson-Principal, RHS-606-836-9658
Sam Sparks- AD-606-836-9658

I'm sure with your vast knowledge and insight these people would love to hear from you

Best post of the year! TongueirateSho

This is hilarious. NKY, care if I use this type of response anytime I read comments like this about other coaches? :notworthy

Florida State thought they were going to improve so much more by forcing Bowden out, now look at them 2 years later. Ole' Jimbo is really rip roaring things up in Tallahassee, isnt he? They might be the only team in the country, in the history to ever be #5 in the polls one week and out of the Top 25 to never return the rest of the year.

Be careful what you wish for Russell fans who want McGlone out.
Parents and players that take no responsibility for themselves and no pride in the program are the biggest problem.

There is a shortage of quality assistants on the staff but the me attitude that most of us could see comming is the biggest problem from JFL through high school.

Coach McGlone doesn't run a spread offense or take a lot of gambles on defense. The game plans are conservative. But the man knows football and how to win games if everybody buys in.
I can probably name 20 to 30 teams in the area (EKY) that would be happy with winning 8 or 9 games every season. Just because he doesn't run the spread, some say he is old fashion and doesn't give his kids a chance at the next level. They said the same thing when he didn't run the wish bone, the veer or what ever offense was in style at the time, but he still won. In this day and time there are few things that make sense, Coach McGlone is one of those things. Russell be happy you still have him.
NKY I belived you did miss read my post I was agreeing with you and the fact if a parent/supporter has issues about a coach they should call school officals besides moaning on bluegrassrivals message board.
How old is Ivan McGlone? If he gets a breakaway back they will win more. This years backs were good but I wouldn't call them break away backs. Josh Gross from the state championship teams was definately a break away threat. Russell will compete for district and region titles every year.
The funny thing with coaching is you can do it for a million years and all of a sudden ppl think you forgot how to coach
Russell should drop football it's a lost cause boys.......Pack it in and Transfer to Raceland.
Now......Seriously speaking.......Ivan and Gary are fine. It's the goober heads surrounding them that are screwing everything up. Get some real assistants not a bunch of football dads who know everything there is to know about football and you will be fine. Nothing wrong with the Wing-T. Just with the assistants who don't know how to teach it.