Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moore 2012
MOORE
Coach: Shedrick Jones Jr. (first year).

Last season: 23-7, lost to Jeffersontown 51-49 in first round of Seventh Region.

Player to watch: F Mekale McKay (6-6, Sr., 14.5 ppg., 7.0 rpg., 4.4 assists, 2 blocks). McKay has committed to play football and basketball at UTEP. He is challenging Derek Willis as the best player in the Sixth Region. Jones rates McKay a Division I prospect.

Other top players: G Daquan Boyd (6-0, Sr., 9.7 ppg., 7 apg., 5 steals); F William Bryant (6-4. Sr., 8.5 ppg., 9.9 rpg., 4 blocks); G Jamon Sanford (5-10, Jr., 6.2 ppg., 3 apg.); C Mark Hoff (6-4, Sr.); G Jemetrius Lathom (5-10, Sr.); G Jalen Sanford (5-9, So.).

Outlook: Moore returns four starters, including three solid all-around players in McKay, Boyd and Bryant. Add Holt to that trio and those four have had a lot of exposure playing AAU ball together the last two summers. Jones expects two transfers, Isajah Armstrong from Southern and James Yates from Central, to give the Mustangs more depth.
Moore returns four starters from a team that lost to Jeffersontown 51-49 in the first round of the Seventh Region Tournament, including 6-6 senior Mekale McKay, who has committed to Texas-El Paso for both basketball and football.

Moore also won the prestigious Derek Smith Shootout this past summer, beating 11th Region power Lexington Catholic in the final. LexCath nipped Bullitt East in the semifinals.

“That was huge for my guys,” Jones said. “They played harder than I’ve ever seen them play.”