Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many private / independent schools will be in the finals
nky Wrote:Open enrollment as it is called is a local issue. Any school board my choose to permit out of district students to enroll. They also set the fee that is paid.

If a student pay's the tuition they can attend any school they want. Sometime's County school's and Independent city school's in the same county have agreement's where any student can enroll at whichever school,the city or the county,they choose. This was the case at Harlan Co. until recently. With the economy and the decline in population and the cost of building of the new high school the county is going back to honoring district boundaries and paying the tuition. It's a very touchy subject in Harlan Co. right now. The city wants students to have the choice to go where they want without paying the tuition and recieve the gov't funding and the county wants students to pay tuition if they cross district boundaries. I can't really blame either for wanting what they do. With the decline in population and Harlan Co. losing an estimated 1% of it's population yearly (per the Harlan Daily Enterprise). Both school's are suffering economically and probably the county school more because of the building costs. I think Harlan Co. High School has lost nearly 500 students since opening their doors a very few years back. When they opened I think their enrollment was around 1900 and now somewhere around 1400 or maybe even a little less. But,if a school goes under it will likely be Harlan Ind. that is forced to consolidate with the county. It's a sad situation really. Both school's should be aloud to thrive. Harlan Ind. has been around for over a 100 years and the alum's are proud of that. I think the same thing is going on with Corbin school's.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
charlie22 Wrote:And not so fast to you either: Independent school have definite defined boundaries for their district. Independent schools can, if they wish accept OOD students. However, County schools are also permitted to accept OOD students if they wish. I'm not sure how many do, but it's my understanding that many do.

It amazes me, after so many years and threads discussing the public private school issue, that a whole lot of people (not necessarily you) still think:

1. Independent schools are not public schools. Yes, they are. Their school boundaries, school board, administration and local tax system are just "independent" of the county school system. That is the only distinction from the other type of public school: the county school. Both are subject to the same rules and regs of the Ky Dept of Education.

2. All independent schools accept OOD students and no county schools accept OOD students. That's false. My guess is that most independents accept OOD students, but I have no idea if all do. There have been times when due to space limitations that Ft. Thomas did not accept OOD students. No state law obligates them to accept OOD students. It's the independent school board's decision. Some county schools also accept OOD students. Not sure how many, but as noted above, I believe many do. And it's not just county schools in the urban areas that accept OOD students. County schools are obviously permitted under the state education laws to accept OOD students if the county school board elects to do so. I know of no good reason why they wouldn't want to accept OOD students other than lack of space. If a county school district had 10 empty seats in each classroom, why not get the tuition from 10 OOD students that could be used to offset the fixed costs of heating the school building, paying the janitors and teachers, etc? As long as the 10 extra students didn't create more costs than the 10 tuitions generated, it's financial stupidity not to allow them to attend. If the County school you support via your taxes doesn't allow OOD, tuition paying students, you should be at the next school board meeting asking: Why not?

3. Independents and/or privates don't have to follow the same KHSAA rules that the publics do. That's false. The transfer rule and every other KHSAA rule apply equally to all member schools.

4. Third parties are permitted to pay the tuition of OOD students or students attending private schools. They are not. Recently a private school was sanctioned by the KHSAA for allowing need based financial aid to be provided by a third party. All need based financial aid must be provided through a system mandated by the KHSAA and the amount of need based financial aid must be determined by an independent company that is on an approved KHSAA list. All merit aid must be made available to all students in the school (not just athletes) through a competitive application and the selection of the recipients must be based on published objective criteria. The academic assessment or placement test used to determine who gets the merit aid must be approved in advance by the KHSAA.

5. A student can receive full tuition in the form of merit based financial aid. No they can't. It's limited to 25% of the cost of the tuition.

6. Every one attending a private school can receive merit based financial aid. Again, no they can't. Merit based aid is limited, in addition to the rules associated with the assessment and test mentioned in point 4 above, to the greater of 5% of the student body or 5 students.

If you hear of someone repeating those falsehoods, they are wrong. You can believe me. I was on the KHSAA Board of Control for two terms and only recently left the Board. I've got the dang rule book in front of me as I type this post.

Very informative post! Thanks for taking the time.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Play where your suppose to and dont worry about how bad the school you may or may not have to go to sucks.

Take a little pride in your hometown school and get your numbers out to play football and things will change.
Nobody cares anymore in certain communities and thats why certain parts of the state is awful at football.

I hope you are only talking about athletics and not academics!
Stardust Wrote:What is Mayfield, Central, Paducah Tighlman, Lone Oak, Collins, Bowling Green, John Hadin

Central, like all the public Lou. schools is an open enrollment school
isn't it? Can't you choose which Lou. school to go to, just can't change
after strating?
Backwoods Wrote:Harlan Ind. and Harlan Co. accept OOD students,but,they must pay the set tuitions for each school.

The underlying issue is the state funding for the enrollee. School
districts CAN release the funding for an in district student to
another school, and many ind/county schools have/had agreements
pretty much making it automatic. But both sides must agree
to it. And that is what a lot of it comes down to as much or
more than issues about athletic eligibility. Some schools might
not care if student B goes to school X to play ball, but they
won't let the state money follow him there. And that's
where public school tuition comes into play.
DSRfan Wrote:Central, like all the public Lou. schools is an open enrollment school
isn't it? Can't you choose which Lou. school to go to, just can't change
after strating?

Central has a little bit of an oddity to them. They are a magnet school offering magnet programs for computer technology, business, and nursing namely. Kids participating in these programs can come from other Jefferson County School Districts.

What makes Central unique is the fact that the nursing magnet is very prevalent and as a result they have a much higher ratio of girls to guys who attend. The actual enrollment of Central puts them far above most other 3A schools, but since the male only enrollment is the most important key for KHSAA classification they fall into the class they are in.
DSRfan Wrote:The underlying issue is the state funding for the enrollee. School
districts CAN release the funding for an in district student to
another school, and many ind/county schools have/had agreements
pretty much making it automatic. But both sides must agree
to it. And that is what a lot of it comes down to as much or
more than issues about athletic eligibility. Some schools might
not care if student B goes to school X to play ball, but they
won't let the state money follow him there. And that's
where public school tuition comes into play.
here's what you are referring to from http://www.education.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres...121010.doc
CONTRACT FOR NONRESIDENT PUPILS

chemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Instructions:
1. Contracts are required by KRS 157.350, which reads in part: "Each district which meets the following requirements shall be eligible to share in the distribution of funds from the fund to Support Education Excellence in chemas-microsoft-com:officeConfusedmarttags" />t="on">t="on">Kentucky (SEEK). A school district may not include nonresident pupils in its average daily attendance (t="on">t="on">ADA), except by written agreement with the district of the pupil’s legal residence.
2. Each district is to keep a signed copy of this contract on file.
3. The board of education of the district where the nonresident pupils attend school agrees to make attendance reports at the close of the first two (2) months and at the close of the school term. These reports shall be delivered to the board of education where the pupils legally reside and shall agree with the terms of this contract.
4. The board of education of the district of residence and the board of education of the district providing instruction agree that all contractual terms, supplemental agreements, and other conditions governing this exchange of students are herewith fully disclosed. Copies of all such contracts, agreements, and conditions are attached and made part of this contract for nonresident pupils.
5. Contract may be written to read "any", "all", or a specific number of students, subject to restrictions of the local board of education (attach copy of local board policy).
sstack Wrote:I hope you are only talking about athletics and not academics!

Sadly, in a lot of counties in this state, it doesnt matter which school you decide to attend, the academics are still going to be bad.
Thats why the Corbin school district use to recieve so many kids from Knox Central and Lynn Camp until Knox County schools ended there reciprocal agreement with Corbin schools.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Sadly, in a lot of counties in this state, it doesnt matter which school you decide to attend, the academics are still going to be bad.Thats why the Corbin school district use to recieve so many kids from Knox Central and Lynn Camp until Knox County schools ended there reciprocal agreement with Corbin schools.

Not to hijack the thread, but I believe this also falls on the parents as much as the individual. It's like in Louisville the past couple years and the schools there who have been in severe decline academically. You can't tell me that the teachers at Shawnee, Iroquios and others who I forget they named are worse than the teachers at Manual, Male, etc. I don't believe it. However, I can tell you the kids and the environments and communities they all come from are very drastic in difference.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Sadly, in a lot of counties in this state, it doesnt matter which school you decide to attend, the academics are still going to be bad.
Thats why the Corbin school district use to recieve so many kids from Knox Central and Lynn Camp until Knox County schools ended there reciprocal agreement with Corbin schools.

Those kids are still in the Corbin School System, despite no reciprocal agreement. Corbin's enrollment in grades 9-12 has increased from an avg. of around 500 just a few years ago to today's total of 750+. The primary reason is academics, whereas 20 years ago, kids came because of athletics.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Those kids are still in the Corbin School System, despite no reciprocal agreement. Corbin's enrollment in grades 9-12 has increased from an avg. of around 500 just a few years ago to today's total of 750+. The primary reason is academics, whereas 20 years ago, kids came because of athletics.

You don't think this is still a reason anymore? Honest question.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Those kids are still in the Corbin School System, despite no reciprocal agreement. Corbin's enrollment in grades 9-12 has increased from an avg. of around 500 just a few years ago to today's total of 750+. The primary reason is academics, whereas 20 years ago, kids came because of athletics.

:truestory:
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:You don't think this is still a reason anymore? Honest question.

Thats a tough question.
I honestly believe its more for academic reasons.
Corbin aint what it use to be in any sport period.
It has fallen off a lot at Corbin compared to where it use to be.
The biggest difference today would be that Whitley and Williamsburg both now have pretty good academic schools along with Corbin, but Corbin was starting to pick up a lot of kids from knox county, especially from Lynn Camp, where academics have struggled poorly forever. That is one school im surprised the state isnt running. And like you said, thats all on the parents, not the kids. We cant blame the kids for low scores. We need to blame the teachers and parents.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thats a tough question.
I honestly believe its more for academic reasons.
Corbin aint what it use to be in any sport period.
It has fallen off a lot at Corbin compared to where it use to be.
The biggest difference today would be that Whitley and Williamsburg both now have pretty good academic schools along with Corbin, but Corbin was starting to pick up a lot of kids from knox county, especially from Lynn Camp, where academics have struggled poorly forever. That is one school im surprised the state isnt running. And like you said, thats all on the parents, not the kids. We cant blame the kids for low scores. We need to blame the teachers and parents.
Really? My daughter was a student athlete at Lynn Camp and is now a Jr. at UK majoring in Bio. with a 2.9 GPA. Seems to me that Lynn Camp prepaired her pretty well for college. It is easy to sit back and try to throw blame when you don't know what you are talking about. I Know that this is not what this thread is about but it kills me when statements are made like this. It ALL starts at home. there is a wery high % of students that attend Lynn Camp that their parents could care less.
fb fan Wrote:Good for you Charlie 22. But we all know that it is impossible for most school districts to compete with this with the current status quo. My school district has ONE high school. And most in our area ony have ONE high school. Therefore the student athlete cannot pick and chose which school they wish to attend. And the coaches do not have the luxury to humbly ask or get to know a REALLY good student athlete in the area. Notice I didn't say (recruit). We have students that live 20 plus miles from the nearest high school so transportation is always an issue. I'm through with even discussing this I guess. People that serve on KHSAA like yourself need to really look at this a bit further is all I am requesting. But thank you for serving though. I realize how difficult it is to serve on any board like this. And I do truly thank you for your service to the kids of our great state.

You are welcome. It took a lot of time and was extremely frustrating at times, but I enjoyed serving because I feel very strongly about the benefits gained through athletic participation.

If my post was too long or came across condescending, I apologize. The major reason I join message boards is to make sure the correct information is distributed. Way too often false information is posted and spread via message boards. People accept what is posted as being true; they repeat it; and the situation gets worse and worse.
To put a final answer to the question, now that it is Finals week, we have:

5 County School District High Schools Belfry (Pike), Central (Jefferson), Scott Co (Scott), Franklin-Simpson (Simpson) and Anderson Co ) Anderson

2 Private High Schools Trinity (Louisville) and Holy Cross (Covington)

5 Independent School District High Schools Hazard, Mayfield, Glasgow, Highlands (Ft. Thomas) and Bowling Green

So the answer is 7.
lochocinco Wrote:By what standard?

By the fact that there's not a team in Class 2A that would win the Class A or Class 3A state title. Look what Beechwood did to Holy Cross and NewCath and Beechwood isn't even in the finals. I like Holy Cross, but they wouldn't have a title shot this year in the 4-Class system.
there are 2 private schools and ten public schools in the finals