Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The playoff embarassment
I don't think I have ever heard a kid complain about getting blown out by Highlands or Trinity or any of the other top rated teams each year. I only hear their parents or the supporters complaining. Its about the kids. Most kids would love to get beat by Trinity this year, and in twenty years tell everyone, I got beat by the #1 team in the nation when I was a senior. Several of the players on Trinity will probably be playing on Saturdays I imagine and then maybe on Sundays? It was a thrill to see Tamme play when Rock got beat in the playoffs. Now he is playing for the Colts. ITS ABOUT THE KIDS. The parents just can't let the kids have fun. Losing is not a bad thing, it is a learning thing.
PLEASE don't mention point systems... VA used one for 15 years, trashed it for a better one, and it has it's flaws, too, even after 25 years.
The "problem" KY has is too many bad (losing record) teams make the playoffs. Simple solution... cut the number of bids in half... get rid of 1 round.
In order to make sure a 9-1 third place team gets in, give each District ONE auto. bid, and have Regional wildcards (if 2 Districts in a Region, then 2 WCs). No point system req'd.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:What i got from reading that was this.

---"So we want to know what you think, but we dont give a crap because ITS STAYING EXACTLY HOW IT IS. ESPECIALLY 6 CLASSES IN FOOTBALL."

Might as well close this ridicolousness now, fans like DSR are just going to have to not worry about the blowoffs in the first two rounds and stay home or watch volleyball or open gym, becuase it aint changing.
Get use to it.

I've talked with Julian Tackett, and I know full well that he has no interest in contracting either the entrants or the classes. But the reason I raise the issue
again is, that Mike Fields' article after the first round showed some interest
for it from coaches, that hasn't been there before. The KHSAA does at
some point have to listen to its members. And maybe eventually enough will get EMBARASSED into doing it. They certainly won't if everybody just
takes the attitude "oh la-di-da things are fine".
HonestJohn Wrote:I don't think I have ever heard a kid complain about getting blown out by Highlands or Trinity or any of the other top rated teams each year. I only hear their parents or the supporters complaining. Its about the kids. Most kids would love to get beat by Trinity this year, and in twenty years tell everyone, I got beat by the #1 team in the nation when I was a senior. Several of the players on Trinity will probably be playing on Saturdays I imagine and then maybe on Sundays? It was a thrill to see Tamme play when Rock got beat in the playoffs. Now he is playing for the Colts. ITS ABOUT THE KIDS. The parents just can't let the kids have fun. Losing is not a bad thing, it is a learning thing.

Well stated Honest John. Well stated. I seriously doubt that any kid on the losing end of a blowout is going to have his self esteem so devasted by the blowout that it's going to scar him for life. Losing, even losting big, can teach valuable lessons; lessons that can't be taught by winning.

The irony is that some of the same people that worry about kids being emotionally hurt by a big loss are the same people saying we went to 6 classes so that every kid can have a trophy because the KHSAA is overly worried and concerned about kids' self esteem.

I was on the wrong end of a thorough butt whipping by Lou X when I was a sophomore. It didn't hurt me mentally or emotionally. It motivated me to work harder than I'm sure I otherwise would have that following off season. I and my teammates wanted to make sure that never happened again. It didn't. If anything I draw on and remember that experience more than I remember or draw on the experiences of the wins.

We justify spending tax dollars on high school athletics not to give adults some entertainment but rather because we believe that high school athletics can teach young adults lessons that will be useful later in life. Learning how to react when you've been knocked on your butt (whether that be from losing a job, your spouse walking out on you for another or whatever major setback one may encounter) is one of those lessons. Character isn't developed or demonstrated in good times; it's developed and displayed in difficult times. I'd hope that any coach worth the cost of his whistle would be able to teach and explain that lesson to his players after a blowout loss.
Powell county has showed the "4" seed belongs this season. 4 seed Montgomery beat 1 seed Cooper this season. In 97' 3 seed Bourbon won it all. I do 100% agree though, If your 0-10, NO WAY you belong in the play-offs, NO WAY. No disrespect meant to any school but way too many 0-10 teams in the playoffs. That's rediculous. I don't care how "round ball" does it but in highschool football, 0-10 DOES NOT BELONG IN THE PLAYOFFS.