Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Wing to sign with Evansville
Rowan County star Adam Wing is going to sign to play basketball with the University of Evansville on Monday.

Here is the story from Mike Fields:

http://fieldsnotes.bloginky.com/2011/11/...vansville/
What happen to Ok State?
MVP2 Wrote:What happen to Ok State?

yea i thought he was going there to?
The link works just fine...open it and read it.
Travis Ford evidently signed too many players and decided not to honor Wing's scholarship. It's a shame that it had to happen to Wing though.
Evansville? Why not wait till after this season and see if you get a bigger offer?
Kosar Wrote:Evansville? Why not wait till after this season and see if you get a bigger offer?

I didn't even know there was a University of Evansville until I saw this. haha But yeah, I totally agree. You would think he would choose somewhere bigger to play hoops at.
GetChili Wrote:I didn't even know there was a University of Evansville until I saw this. haha But yeah, I totally agree. You would think he would choose somewhere bigger to play hoops at.

Evansville is a great University and he will get a good education paid for while playing ball. Perdonsally I believe this is a great choice for him. Wish him nothing but the best this year and in his college career.
Kosar Wrote:Evansville? Why not wait till after this season and see if you get a bigger offer?

Division I schools make very few new offers to seniors at the end of their seasons. They do their recruiting and offering before their senior year. If he were going to get a bigger offer, most likely those schools would have already contacted him. Actually if he is wanting to go to Evansville or any other DI school he made the right decision to go ahead and commit. The only players that have the luxury of waiting till the end of their senior season are the 5 star top 50 type player that the school will hold a scholarship for. The average player like Wing, will receive an offer and if he does not accept it within a specific time period, the school pulls it and gives the offer to someone else. Also, sometimes the school will offer 3-4 kids to fill 2 scholarships and the first two that accept the offer will get the scholarships.

What OK State did to him says a lot about Travis Ford's character, to offer, Wing accepts, then Ford takes it back. Very unprofessional and stunts like that will hurt his recruiting, especially here in KY.
goodguy Wrote:Division I schools make very few new offers to seniors at the end of their seasons. They do their recruiting and offering before their senior year. If he were going to get a bigger offer, most likely those schools would have already contacted him. Actually if he is wanting to go to Evansville or any other DI school he made the right decision to go ahead and commit. The only players that have the luxury of waiting till the end of their senior season are the 5 star top 50 type player that the school will hold a scholarship for. The average player like Wing, will receive an offer and if he does not accept it within a specific time period, the school pulls it and gives the offer to someone else. Also, sometimes the school will offer 3-4 kids to fill 2 scholarships and the first two that accept the offer will get the scholarships.

What OK State did to him says a lot about Travis Ford's character, to offer, Wing accepts, then Ford takes it back. Very unprofessional and stunts like that will hurt his recruiting, especially here in KY.

I agree with you , but there are a lot of coaches out there that would the same thing. To many eggs in the nest, the smallest one gets dicarded.
goodguy Wrote:Division I schools make very few new offers to seniors at the end of their seasons. They do their recruiting and offering before their senior year. If he were going to get a bigger offer, most likely those schools would have already contacted him. Actually if he is wanting to go to Evansville or any other DI school he made the right decision to go ahead and commit. The only players that have the luxury of waiting till the end of their senior season are the 5 star top 50 type player that the school will hold a scholarship for. The average player like Wing, will receive an offer and if he does not accept it within a specific time period, the school pulls it and gives the offer to someone else. Also, sometimes the school will offer 3-4 kids to fill 2 scholarships and the first two that accept the offer will get the scholarships.

hop24 Wrote:I agree with you , but there are a lot of coaches out there that would the same thing. To many eggs in the nest, the smallest one gets dicarded.

I agree that it does not look good on Ford, he is not at the level of a Calipari, Pitino that reneging on offers will not take away from his credibility, but that certainly goes with the game of recruiting. If you have 5 openings for your team, you have to fill it with five spots. To fill those five spots, you are recruiting 20 players. In the game, it is your goal to fill with the 5 best, not the first five yeses. Unfortunatley, you have to make the offers or you may be stuck in the cold with no one. Most often, this goes the other way around where the player gets an offer from a school that he would prefer and he decommits from the first school. Usually you don't get too many adults upset about that, but if a coach pulls off an offer, then people get upset....