Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern 40, Whitley County 10
Whitley beat a terrible, just terrible Clay team by 1 measley point and impressivley they beat Somerset in which the kicker scored 9 points in a 6 points win. So w/o the kicker they go 1-10 on the season.

I just dont see why WC brags about a tough schedule each year and then loses all the games and bows out easily in the first round. The schedule helped them none. What did it matter if they played tough games or not, they barely went 3-8?

WC always plays tough but it gets old hearing about the schedule each year and then not doing anything about it. I like WC and wish them luck but people always want to bring SOS into the mix and here is a prime example year in year out that it makes no difference and SWP has also been a prime example of that as well.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:This is one of the most unwise statements I have ever seen from RIUTG.....I am almost shocked as his usually has good insight. Kickers are very important and McCoy won a couple of games for the Colonels this season and will be missed although they do have another kicker who is going to be pretty good too. If kickers are not important, how come kicking into the endzone is so important if you can do it. I remember Bell with Merrick and he kicked into the endzone about 85% of the time.

Whitley also loses several of their offensive linemen, but with Bobby Gibbs as the offensive line coach they should be fine. As far as skill players they do not lose anything and will have some young kids who are going to make them better with competition in practice and challenge for playing time. I think they should be better and will continue to improve for the next couple of years.

Mccoy was very important to this team this year.
Theres no doubt about that.
I got my ass chewed in many threads this year because i was talking about how Whitley was doing a good thing by kicking even when they were getting blown out.
However, you brought up Merrick, which may have been the best kicker of all time coming from a mountain school. Theres no comparison. Also, where are you getting that we kicked it into the endzone?
Ask Chili, Whitley onside kicked it every freakin time we kicked the ball of at SW the other night, which IMO is just stupid, but if he could kick it into the endzone we would have been doing that insrtead of onside kicking it.

I think its safe to say he's the best kicker to ever put on a Whitley jersey, but the kid could have kicked 5 field goals against teams like Russell, Rock, and Harlan Co, and we still would have gotten beat.
You have to have tealent at the SKILL positions, or you'll lose every time.

As for Gibbs, im sure he will have the O Line ready to go but IMO, Whitley needs to get a new OC. Letting Gibbs call the plays is hurting us and its showing. He's the reason were running it up the middle on 3rd and 20 everytime. Something has got to change or we will struggle next year as well running plays like that. Black is a defensive mastermind when given talent to work with and should run the defense.
footballfever Wrote:Whitley did start 4 seniors on the OL this year when all were healthy. Thats alot to replace even if you dont consisder them good.

They might have started, but it wasnt consistent. I dont know that there was one game they were all healthy and all started. Most of the time there were at least 1 or sometimes even 2 out for a game.

That was one of the smallest Offensive Lines ive ever seen Whitley have in 15 years.

You pretty much lost 4 hurt undersized offensive lineman, nichols, and the kicker.
Gummie Bear Wrote:Whitley beat a terrible, just terrible Clay team by 1 measley point and impressivley they beat Somerset in which the kicker scored 9 points in a 6 points win. So w/o the kicker they go 1-10 on the season.

I just dont see why WC brags about a tough schedule each year and then loses all the games and bows out easily in the first round. The schedule helped them none. What did it matter if they played tough games or not, they barely went 3-8?

WC always plays tough but it gets old hearing about the schedule each year and then not doing anything about it. I like WC and wish them luck but people always want to bring SOS into the mix and here is a prime example year in year out that it makes no difference and SWP has also been a prime example of that as well.

Ive come to expect this type of post out of you.
We can brag about the tough schedule cause we actually play one.
Instead of playing fort foulmouth virginia with a 1-9 record, we play dominant teams and these teams are doing nothing but getting our young kids ready.

Next year will be a different story.
While HC loses everyone, we have a solid core group of players returning.
You're forgetting that Whitley had about 3 straight seasons of great success before this recent downfall or young players. But as i said, that changes next year.
Had Whitley played your schedule, they might have a winning record.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:They might have started, but it wasnt consistent. I dont know that there was one game they were all healthy and all started. Most of the time there were at least 1 or sometimes even 2 out for a game.

That was one of the smallest Offensive Lines ive ever seen Whitley have in 15 years.

You pretty much lost 4 hurt undersized offensive lineman, nichols, and the kicker.

The seniors were the starters most of the year. Rushed for almost 3000 yards at 7 yards a carry and averaged over 20 points a game. Bryant also averaged 7 a carry. They might have been undersized and hurt but they apparently did something right. Maybe the fact they gave up 373 points might indicate they need defensive improvement.
footballfever Wrote:The seniors were the starters most of the year. Rushed for almost 3000 yards at 7 yards a carry and averaged over 20 points a game. Bryant also averaged 7 a carry. They might have been undersized and hurt but they apparently did something right. Maybe the fact they gave up 373 points might indicate they need defensive improvement.

Yes but at the same time, the majority of the yards gained by Bryant we because Bryant just ran kids over. The blocking wasnt that good the entire year.
Mix that with the fact that we threw the ball maybe 10 times the entire year means that those 3000 yards were our entire offense.
I couldnt agree more about the defense.
Take the HC game for example.
HC scored on many, many one play possesions and big plays.
There were to many times this year that Whitley gave up 4th and tens and 3rd and twentys.
This defense has to improve or we'll be in the same boat next year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive come to expect this type of post out of you.

Next year will be a different story.
You're forgetting that Whitley had about 3 straight seasons of great success before this recent downfall or young players. But as i said, that changes next year.
Had Whitley played your schedule, they might have a winning record.

Harlan County's freshman team hasn't lost in two years. They should be even better next year. They have a great sophomore class and a very good junior class.
Jake Middleton rushed for over 1,000 yards and Zach Chitwood would start for just about any other team around at running back. They also return a receiver, tight end, fullback and two guards on offense.
They have three of five starters back on the defensive line, three of four in the secondary and both linebackers, plus Tucker Lewis will be back for his senior year at linebacker after missing this season with an injury
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Mccoy was very important to this team this year.
Theres no doubt about that.
I got my ass chewed in many threads this year because i was talking about how Whitley was doing a good thing by kicking even when they were getting blown out.
However, you brought up Merrick, which may have been the best kicker of all time coming from a mountain school. Theres no comparison. Also, where are you getting that we kicked it into the endzone?
Ask Chili, Whitley onside kicked it every freakin time we kicked the ball of at SW the other night, which IMO is just stupid, but if he could kick it into the endzone we would have been doing that insrtead of onside kicking it.

I think its safe to say he's the best kicker to ever put on a Whitley jersey, but the kid could have kicked 5 field goals against teams like Russell, Rock, and Harlan Co, and we still would have gotten beat.
You have to have tealent at the SKILL positions, or you'll lose every time.

As for Gibbs, im sure he will have the O Line ready to go but IMO, Whitley needs to get a new OC. Letting Gibbs call the plays is hurting us and its showing. He's the reason were running it up the middle on 3rd and 20 everytime. Something has got to change or we will struggle next year as well running plays like that. Black is a defensive mastermind when given talent to work with and should run the defense.

It's true. Whitley County was giving Southwestern good field position after every kickoff by kicking onside after onside kick.
HDE Wrote:Harlan County's freshman team hasn't lost in two years. They should be even better next year. They have a great sophomore class and a very good junior class.
Jake Middleton rushed for over 1,000 yards and Zach Chitwood would start for just about any other team around at running back. They also return a receiver, tight end, fullback and two guards on offense.
They have three of five starters back on the defensive line, three of four in the secondary and both linebackers, plus Tucker Lewis will be back for his senior year at linebacker after missing this season with an injury

Im not saying HC wont be good, but i take offense to the fact that he said we was not getting better by playing a harder schedule.
The only team HC played on there schedule that was the same caliber of teams on our schedule was BC. which resulted in a loss for HC.
GetChili Wrote:It's true. Whitley County was giving Southwestern good field position after every kickoff by kicking onside after onside kick.

IDK what the reasoning behind doing that this year was.
We had a good kicker that could get it down the field.
If were that worried about teams running it back every single time than its obvious we need to make some changes to our kick off team, but we failed to do that.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im not saying HC wont be good, but i take offense to the fact that he said we was not getting better by playing a harder schedule.

You can take offense all day, show me where I am wrong. I was giving WC props but you take a little bit out of alot and act like I was smearing WC.

WC has has 2 winning seasons in the past 8 years. And three wins each of those years are against the Laurel schools and Lynn Camp.

If you want to say a 7-5 season was succussful then by all means feel that way but that is the only other winning season besides the great year you all had in 2008. I mean if you want to sit here and get mad at me for stating the obvious then that is fine but I ll never understand where having a 2-9, 2-8, 3-8, 4-7, 5-5, 6-6 seasons back to back to back , etc helps your team or your program. I doubt many would argue that because if it did help then eventually in one of those years your team improves its win/loss record.

You can expect that talk out of me I guess, Im not sure where that came from. I dont recall ever talking to you or dissing your team. Ive always liked WC and thought the kids played as hard as anyone around but if you want to harp on one comment that I said then so be it.

You forget the luxury you all have being located on I75 I mean it is another hour and 15 minutes to Harlan so wherever you travel in kentucky, then we would have to add another hour and 15 minutes to that considering we are as East as it gets. That is why we scheduled the 2010 State Champ in VA, Lee High (rival) your Lynn Camp and I wont even consider the fact that you dont feel Morristown East Tenn. is not any good. They are a total of like 8 points from having one loss and almost beat Dobyns Bennet which is a terribel Tenn team.:please: Playing other states and schools in other areas allows our kids exposure. I mean geez we traveled to Lexington to play in the same Bowl game as Bell Co also. They rotate the teams so next year we play Bryan Station.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Next year will be a different story.
You're forgetting that Whitley had about 3 straight seasons of great success before this recent downfall or young players.

We lose everyone?:biglmao: Re read HDE post, we bring a big ole bunch of boys back. We have started a 9th grade middle linebacker almost every year, next year will be expeirience kids playing.

And what years were the 3 straight seasons of GREAT success...
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Black is a defensive mastermind when given talent to work with and should run the defense.

Who was calling the offense in 2008?

About the defense in 6 years that he has been there they have played in 70 ball games and given up over 1900 points.

WC is averaging giving up 30 pts per game in his time there.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Im not saying HC wont be good, but i take offense to the fact that he said we was not getting better by playing a harder schedule.
The only team HC played on there schedule that was the same caliber of teams on our schedule was BC. which resulted in a loss for HC.

I just meant to answer the point about Harlan County losing everything.
I'm fairly confident that Harlan County will be ranked No. 1 in the district going into the 2012 season and will be a top 10 team in the state.

Whitley County does have an impressive schedule. It looks a lot better though with Russell County and Rockcastle County having turnaround seasons this year. I also think you could argue that Lynn Camp is worse than anybody on Harlan County's schedule and the same may also be true for Clay County.
I just find it ironic runitupthegut is complaining about running it up the gut.

But he is right Whitley needs to open things up a bit. I would say Whitleys lack of speed is why they short kicked it all night.

But with this years 8th grade team and the returning players then next year should be better for WC.
Gummie Bear Wrote:You can take offense all day, show me where I am wrong. I was giving WC props but you take a little bit out of alot and act like I was smearing WC.

WC has has 2 winning seasons in the past 8 years. And three wins each of those years are against the Laurel schools and Lynn Camp.

If you want to say a 7-5 season was succussful then by all means feel that way but that is the only other winning season besides the great year you all had in 2008. I mean if you want to sit here and get mad at me for stating the obvious then that is fine but I ll never understand where having a 2-9, 2-8, 3-8, 4-7, 5-5, 6-6 seasons back to back to back , etc helps your team or your program. I doubt many would argue that because if it did help then eventually in one of those years your team improves its win/loss record.

You can expect that talk out of me I guess, Im not sure where that came from. I dont recall ever talking to you or dissing your team. Ive always liked WC and thought the kids played as hard as anyone around but if you want to harp on one comment that I said then so be it.

You forget the luxury you all have being located on I75 I mean it is another hour and 15 minutes to Harlan so wherever you travel in kentucky, then we would have to add another hour and 15 minutes to that considering we are as East as it gets. That is why we scheduled the 2010 State Champ in VA, Lee High (rival) your Lynn Camp and I wont even consider the fact that you dont feel Morristown East Tenn. is not any good. They are a total of like 8 points from having one loss and almost beat Dobyns Bennet which is a terribel Tenn team.:please: Playing other states and schools in other areas allows our kids exposure. I mean geez we traveled to Lexington to play in the same Bowl game as Bell Co also. They rotate the teams so next year we play Bryan Station.

I dont really understnad what youre getting at with this post.
You pretty much just said the exact same thing i did.
Gummie Bear Wrote:Who was calling the offense in 2008?

About the defense in 6 years that he has been there they have played in 70 ball games and given up over 1900 points.

WC is averaging giving up 30 pts per game in his time there.

The offense in 08 was called mainly by Black.
BG started calling it in 09 and was the sole reason we didnt win a second straight region championship that year as all we had to do was run it into the endzone on Pulaski but called a pass play and it got picked off.

As for the defense comments, you dont know the shape this program was in when he took over.
The first two years were filled with players that had no tealent and no experience. Campbell was smart to get out when he did, whether he had the chance or not.
To do what he has done with what he has worked with, if you were a WC fan, you'd be impressed.
Willie Turnover Wrote:I just find it ironic runitupthegut is complaining about running it up the gut.

But he is right Whitley needs to open things up a bit. I would say Whitleys lack of speed is why they short kicked it all night.

But with this years 8th grade team and the returning players then next year should be better for WC.

It might be ironic, but the truth.
We were running it straight up the middle all night on 3rd and 4th and longs.

As for next year, HC fans have a right to be optimistic about what they bring back and so forth, but to think your going to run away with a title isnt going to happen.
This might be the best WC team since 08 that returns next year.
IMO, it will all depend on how much the new incoming freshman will be able to contribute.
Gummie Bear Wrote:You can take offense all day, show me where I am wrong. I was giving WC props but you take a little bit out of alot and act like I was smearing WC.

WOW i really didn't know how bad they have been over the last 8 years, seems to me that maybe Campbell was doing a better job than Black. Whitley finished last in the district this year and got embarrassed by Letcher on their home field late in the season giving up 40 and then 40 more in the playoff against SWP (no pass defense). Whitley should be better next year but won't win the district because they have to travel to Harlan. Looking at the stats on khsaa Whitley has forgot that you must have some kind of a passing game to compete in 5A football. By reading these post the 3 famous quotes out of Whitley 1. We play a hard schedule 2. we are young 3. wait till next year:hilarious:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:It might be ironic, but the truth.
We were running it straight up the middle all night on 3rd and 4th and longs.

As for next year, HC fans have a right to be optimistic about what they bring back and so forth, but to think your going to run away with a title isnt going to happen.
This might be the best WC team since 08 that returns next year.
IMO, it will all depend on how much the new incoming freshman will be able to contribute.

I disagree, I think that Jim Black is building for next year obviously but the next year will be the best team since 08 and maybe better than that one....
T1up Wrote:WOW i really didn't know how bad they have been over the last 8 years, seems to me that maybe Campbell was doing a better job than Black. Whitley finished last in the district this year and got embarrassed by Letcher on their home field late in the season giving up 40 and then 40 more in the playoff against SWP (no pass defense). Whitley should be better next year but won't win the district because they have to travel to Harlan. Looking at the stats on khsaa Whitley has forgot that you must have some kind of a passing game to compete in 5A football. By reading these post the 3 famous quotes out of Whitley 1. We play a hard schedule 2. we are young 3. wait till next year:hilarious:

If you look at it, they are all true....freshman QB, most of the starters were first year starters. You did not hear those statements the last three years. And Yes Wait till next year, they will be improved and the numbers will be up.
T1up Wrote:WOW i really didn't know how bad they have been over the last 8 years, seems to me that maybe Campbell was doing a better job than Black. Whitley finished last in the district this year and got embarrassed by Letcher on their home field late in the season giving up 40 and then 40 more in the playoff against SWP (no pass defense). Whitley should be better next year but won't win the district because they have to travel to Harlan. Looking at the stats on khsaa Whitley has forgot that you must have some kind of a passing game to compete in 5A football. By reading these post the 3 famous quotes out of Whitley 1. We play a hard schedule 2. we are young 3. wait till next year:hilarious:

Statistically speaking, Campbell was the best thing that ever happened to that program. At 24 years old he became the head coach in 89. Only three losing seasons, 2 of them were his first and last, in almost 20 years and competed with some of the best Bell and Rock teams youve ever seen. You think these kids are good now, those guys back in the 90's when i played would dominate all of these moutain teams around here now. Also getting stuck in 4A football when Fayette County schools were still far more advanced athletically than mountain schools and always beat them, had something to do with his downfall, as the game passed him by due to his style of play. If you knock out the 08 season, Black average would be about 3 wins a season.
While i didnt agree with the hire, ill stand by our coach like any good fan and supporter would do. Something has definitely got to change though and i think thats obvious and while i do believe Black is building a solid program for the future, im not sure how long he will even stay before he retires.

As for your hogwash you typed at the end, tell me which one of them are not true?
At the beginning of the year i predicted Whitley to win 2 games maybe 3, so they met my expectations. Go back and look at my post and youll see im telling the truth. I also predicted a 3rd place finish in the district and said the LEtcher game would be a shootout and thats exactly what happened. We did not get embarrased considering Johnson came back and had the best game of his career.

Talk all you want, but take your 56 post and criticize someone else before you lie about what ive posted.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:If you look at it, they are all true....freshman QB, most of the starters were first year starters. You did not hear those statements the last three years. And Yes Wait till next year, they will be improved and the numbers will be up.

IDK why it was so hard to believe.
You know that people that hasnt watched a Whitley game all year will know everything about them though.....:eyeroll:
It doesn't matter how good we are offensively or bad we are offensively, we better correct the defensive.. The worst defensive in several years..
^
I think that begins with numbers.
When weve got 6 or 7 kids playing both ways, its always going to be trouble.
Thats what killed us. 3 of our players were injured for the last few games. Because of that we not only lost 3 starters, we lost 6 because they played both ways.

We have to get the numbers back up.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I think that begins with numbers.
When weve got 6 or 7 kids playing both ways, its always going to be trouble.
Thats what killed us. 3 of our players were injured for the last few games. Because of that we not only lost 3 starters, we lost 6 because they played both ways.

We have to get the numbers back up.

I actually agree with everything you have said in this forum topic. You did say Whitley will win 2 to 3 games at the beginning of the year. Campbell is the best thing to happen to Whitley Co, I do in retrospect question some of his schemes. I also have to question at one point Whitley was one of the largest schools in its division then they got bumped up and where they were one of the smallest and then they got bumped down in division. However, Whitley has always had a problem with numbers, I remember people would say Campbell was to hard on the boys, but he has been long gone and the same problem prosist.

Why is Whitley starting so many young kids? A 5A school should not be, I can understand a school like Williamsburg, Jellico, Lynn Camp, those types, but 5A is a huge school, what do you think?
tvtimeout Wrote:I actually agree with everything you have said in this forum topic. You did say Whitley will win 2 to 3 games at the beginning of the year. Campbell is the best thing to happen to Whitley Co, I do in retrospect question some of his schemes. I also have to question at one point Whitley was one of the largest schools in its division then they got bumped up and where they were one of the smallest and then they got bumped down in division. However, Whitley has always had a problem with numbers, I remember people would say Campbell was to hard on the boys, but he has been long gone and the same problem prosist.

Why is Whitley starting so many young kids? A 5A school should not be, I can understand a school like Williamsburg, Jellico, Lynn Camp, those types, but 5A is a huge school, what do you think?

Ill try to answer your comments in order....

Whitley was one of the largest 3A schools in the state before they went to 4A football in 2001.
Then when the reclassification happened, we were put in 5A and are in the upper half of the list when it comes to numbers.

Campbell also had trouble getting players after 2001. I honestly believe its due to the changing times. Kids just dont want to play sports anymore and the ones who do are the few who will sacrifice other things. Kids dont want to give up there video games and computer to go play football for a team that may or may not be good.
This is not only a problem at Whitley, MANY 5A and 6A schools have a numbers problem when it comes to football. Take North and South Laurel, who are both bigger than Whitley for example. Over half of Whitleys starters this year were under classmen, and while that may look good for the future, it all depends on IF these kids keep playing.
For example this year our starting runningback just up and quit before the first game of the season and he was a heck of a player. Back when i played, you didnt do this and your teammates didnt let you do this.
I believe in order to be successful, you have to have a coach that can get on the same level as kids and relate to them in many ways. A young coach seems to be the way to go as the hard ass approach to things just doesnt seem to work anymore, kids will just quit and not care.
Look at the job Haddix has done at PCC this year after being able to get those kids to play. I know there no powerhouse, but compared to where they have been, there MUCH improved and things are looking bright for them.

Times are changing, and maybe we should make some changes too...
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Statistically speaking, Campbell was the best thing that ever happened to that program. At 24 years old he became the head coach in 89. Only three losing seasons, 2 of them were his first and last, in almost 20 years and competed with some of the best Bell and Rock teams youve ever seen. You think these kids are good now, those guys back in the 90's when i played would dominate all of these moutain teams around here now. Also getting stuck in 4A football when Fayette County schools were still far more advanced athletically than mountain schools and always beat them, had something to do with his downfall, as the game passed him by due to his style of play. If you knock out the 08 season, Black average would be about 3 wins a season.
While i didnt agree with the hire, ill stand by our coach like any good fan and supporter would do. Something has definitely got to change though and i think thats obvious and while i do believe Black is building a solid program for the future, im not sure how long he will even stay before he retires.

As for your hogwash you typed at the end, tell me which one of them are not true?
At the beginning of the year i predicted Whitley to win 2 games maybe 3, so they met my expectations. Go back and look at my post and youll see im telling the truth. I also predicted a 3rd place finish in the district and said the LEtcher game would be a shootout and thats exactly what happened. We did not get embarrased considering Johnson came back and had the best game of his career.

Talk all you want, but take your 56 post and criticize someone else before you lie about what ive posted.

HOLD ON BIG FELLOW i was responding to a post by gummie bear and your name was never mentioned in my post, and yes my post is accurate just read all the post in this thread and you will see the phrases of hard schedule,we are young and next year by several posters not just you. I know it must be frustrating to a football fan when their team is struggling but to call somebody a liar.