Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville Football
The way I always heard it was that Coach Runyon's plan when he took the job in '05 was to coach one season to keep Chuke Williams from taking over. There was a faction of support for Chuke at the time. Runyon supposedly agreed to coach one season, and turn it over to Coach Jim Tom Allen. Allen was being courted by some other schools for their top job, and PHS did not want to lose him because he was an excellent teacher as well as a very good assistant coach. As is turned out, he didn't quite have what it takes to be a head coach at the time. His teams were very undisciplined and chaotic. Runyon's year was a sort of stop gap to hold the job for Allen. He cetainly did not abandon the program. Coach Runyon is the bluest bleeding Blueblood of them all. His name will be forever mentioned with the same reverence as Brugh and Adkins. These three are the backbone of what is tradition. If Runyon ends up coaching football again, it will be for the sake of restoring something he believes to the pit of his soul, Tiger Pride. He has no selfish motivation to do this. His legend is established. If there is a coaching change, and he is willing to do it, the school and everyone involved should welcome and encourage it all the way.
ForearmShiver Wrote:The way I always heard it was that Coach Runyon's plan when he took the job in '05 was to coach one season to keep Chuke Williams from taking over. There was a faction of support for Chuke at the time. Runyon supposedly agreed to coach one season, and turn it over to Coach Jim Tom Allen. Allen was being courted by some other schools for their top job, and PHS did not want to lose him because he was an excellent teacher as well as a very good assistant coach. As is turned out, he didn't quite have what it takes to be a head coach at the time. His teams were very undisciplined and chaotic. Runyon's year was a sort of stop gap to hold the job for Allen. He cetainly did not abandon the program. Coach Runyon is the bluest bleeding Blueblood of them all. His name will be forever mentioned with the same reverence as Brugh and Adkins. These three are the backbone of what is tradition. If Runyon ends up coaching football again, it will be for the sake of restoring something he believes to the pit of his soul, Tiger Pride. He has no selfish motivation to do this. His legend is established. If there is a coaching change, and he is willing to do it, the school and everyone involved should welcome and encourage it all the way.

Agrre & very well said
ForearmShiver Wrote:The way I always heard it was that Coach Runyon's plan when he took the job in '05 was to coach one season to keep Chuke Williams from taking over. There was a faction of support for Chuke at the time. Runyon supposedly agreed to coach one season, and turn it over to Coach Jim Tom Allen. Allen was being courted by some other schools for their top job, and PHS did not want to lose him because he was an excellent teacher as well as a very good assistant coach. As is turned out, he didn't quite have what it takes to be a head coach at the time. His teams were very undisciplined and chaotic. Runyon's year was a sort of stop gap to hold the job for Allen. He cetainly did not abandon the program. Coach Runyon is the bluest bleeding Blueblood of them all. His name will be forever mentioned with the same reverence as Brugh and Adkins. These three are the backbone of what is tradition. If Runyon ends up coaching football again, it will be for the sake of restoring something he believes to the pit of his soul, Tiger Pride. He has no selfish motivation to do this. His legend is established. If there is a coaching change, and he is willing to do it, the school and everyone involved should welcome and encourage it all the way.
You are right in saying Runyon took the job to keep Chuke Williams from getting it. Runyon also knew he was going to be loaded that year and it would be a favorable situation for him. From what I've heard Runyon didn't like how popular Chuke was in the school and felt threatened by it so he took the job to oust him. To say Runyon "didn't abandon" the Tiger program is way off. I know your post probably makes your feel all warm and fuzzy inside about Runyon but he is one of the primary reasons for the downfall of Paintsville Football. Runyon ended up running off two good coaches in Jim Tom Allen and Joe Chirico. From what I was told by some of his former players Runyon didn't even coach the team when he was the head coach in '05. I just don't think you can count on Bill Mike to restore the once prideful tradition of Paintsville Football. I just hope Paintsville does the right thing this time around.
dirtybird Wrote:You are right in saying Runyon took the job to keep Chuke Williams from getting it. Runyon also knew he was going to be loaded that year and it would be a favorable situation for him. From what I've heard Runyon didn't like how popular Chuke was in the school and felt threatened by it so he took the job to oust him. To say Runyon "didn't abandon" the Tiger program is way off. I know your post probably makes your feel all warm and fuzzy inside about Runyon but he is one of the primary reasons for the downfall of Paintsville Football. Runyon ended up running off two good coaches in Jim Tom Allen and Joe Chirico. From what I was told by some of his former players Runyon didn't even coach the team when he was the head coach in '05. I just don't think you can count on Bill Mike to restore the once prideful tradition of Paintsville Football. I just hope Paintsville does the right thing this time around.

Runyon didn't run Jim Tom off. Jim Tom made some very stupid decisions.

As for runyon not even coaching. That might be the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site. The man can coach no two ways about it. If we had a tiddlywinks team, and runyon coached it they would win. Hell the man almost coached Girls soccer for a year when Mrs Mcnew stepped down. That is how much he loves Paintsville, If they asked him to coach this team he would gladly do it. IDT he is the right choice but he would do his best to bring the pride back.
Reading these Paintsville threads from a distance has been so painful for the past two years. Is there really that much dissention in such a small town? Will anyone from within the system be able to unite the factions? Will anyone from without be able to gain acceptance?
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Runyon didn't run Jim Tom off. Jim Tom made some very stupid decisions.

As for runyon not even coaching. That might be the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site. The man can coach no two ways about it. If we had a tiddlywinks team, and runyon coached it they would win. Hell the man almost coached Girls soccer for a year when Mrs Mcnew stepped down. That is how much he loves Paintsville, If they asked him to coach this team he would gladly do it. IDT he is the right choice but he would do his best to bring the pride back.
To my knowledge the only real decision he made all year was not to kick Jeffery Collett at Somerset when he had kicked all year long. To my knowledge Jimmy Daniels ran the offense, Jim Tom and Joe Chirico ran the defense, Milton coached the line, Jim Tom's buddy ran the Special Teams. Also, Chuke and the guy he brought did the weight lifting before the season. So my question to you PTF is what exactly did Runyon do on that team that made them so great? What did he bring that any other average Joe coach really couldn't bring? You need to take off the blinders and analyze the situation from an unbiased perspective.
dirtybird Wrote:To my knowledge the only real decision he made all year was not to kick Jeffery Collett at Somerset when he had kicked all year long. To my knowledge Jimmy Daniels ran the offense, Jim Tom and Joe Chirico ran the defense, Milton coached the line, Jim Tom's buddy ran the Special Teams. Also, Chuke and the guy he brought did the weight lifting before the season. So my question to you PTF is what exactly did Runyon do on that team that made them so great? What did he bring that any other average Joe coach really couldn't bring? You need to take off the blinders and analyze the situation from an unbiased perspective.

What in the hell do you expect he has a offensive and defensive coordinator for a reason they aren't just hired to stand there and look pretty, They run the offense, and defense respectively. the head coaches job is to bring it all together, this is what Runyon did, that and motivation. I kinda did play under the guy in football so I know a helluva alot more about what happened under him than you do. Now I also clearly stated that he is not the right choice for the program. But for you to say I need to take off the blinders is idiotic. I really want Someone like Mccoy who is a proven coach. But I will defend runyon.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:What in the hell do you expect he has a offensive and defensive coordinator for a reason they aren't just hired to stand there and look pretty, They run the offense, and defense respectively. the head coaches job is to bring it all together, this is what Runyon did, that and motivation. I kinda did play under the guy in football so I know a helluva alot more about what happened under him than you do. Now I also clearly stated that he is not the right choice for the program. But for you to say I need to take off the blinders is idiotic. I really want Someone like Mccoy who is a proven coach. But I will defend runyon.
You didn't answer my question. Let's try this again, what did Runyon bring strategy wise as far as offensive and defensive schemes for Paintsville? If all a coach brings to the table is motivation then he is useless in my opinion. From what I've heard he had no idea about the majority of the plays that were being ran and had no idea about what type of defense they were even running. You say you played under him and know a "helluva alot" more about it than I do. So my question to you is, why do the majority of his "former players" say that he really didn't do anything? Last question, did he help or hurt the Paintsville Tiger football program when he took the job to keep one of the best coaches in the state from getting the job and then left Paintsville?
What is Walter Brugh up to these days, one of the best ever.
dirtybird Wrote:You didn't answer my question. Let's try this again, what did Runyon bring strategy wise as far as offensive and defensive schemes for Paintsville? If all a coach brings to the table is motivation then he is useless in my opinion. From what I've heard he had no idea about the majority of the plays that were being ran and had no idea about what type of defense they were even running. You say you played under him and know a "helluva alot" more about it than I do. So my question to you is, why do the majority of his "former players" say that he really didn't do anything? Last question, did he help or hurt the Paintsville Tiger football program when he took the job to keep one of the best coaches in the state from getting the job and then left Paintsville?
I think DB has some valid points in this post. I heard he took the credit for someone else's work.
Kinner is out as head coach according to the players as I spoke to today.