Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outlandish quote by NCC coach in paper.
Wideleft01 Wrote:NCC's Coach Eviston says Hitchew is by FAR the best player in N. Ky. I'm all for supporting your players, but what a crock to even say. Sorry future Mr. Football Pat Towles, sorry Auburn recruit Zeke Pike, sorry Division 1 players Drake Bruns of Highlands and Elliott at Ryle. Sorry Gray at CovCath. Sorry Sheehan of Highlands who's also going to UK. According to NCC coach, his player, who may end up at some small college like Georgetown or Thomas More, is far better than you other players. By far better.

Maybe think before making a statement. I like Eviston alot. I think he's a great coach. He's doing more with less, than Coach Scheider ever did. But C'mon Man!

Do you h ave a link to the story...quote?
Stardust Wrote:NCC is legit and they have represented NKY quite well. You have to take what Left says about them with a grain of salt, he just has an ax to grind. I'm pretty confident that they would not accept him when he registered for school there and he's been bitter ever since :biglmao:

:biggrin: I've got no problem with Eddie's statement. Is it a bit over the top? Of course it is. Then again, Dale has made many an over the top statement during his years at Highlands and some folks have grilled him for it. Maybe that prompted wideleft's decision to start the thread more so than any ax on NewCath.

Is Hightchew the best player in N. Ky? In my opinion, no. But he is probably the most important player to a successful team in N. Ky; particularly with Elliot out with an injury. Hightchew is a stud and there is no doubt about it. He's not only the straw that stirs the drink, he's the glass that holds the drink and the main ingredient in the drink also.
lochocinco Wrote:If NewCath had Highlands' enrollment ... how good would they be?

And NewCath could beat Boyle and would definitely beat Western.

Highlands is a small 4A school and I would imagine NCC is an average sized 2A school. You are slightly misinformed.

As for Eviston's comment, what do you expect him to say? He's certainly the MVP of his team, no question. I don't think he was trying to slight the other talented players everyone has mentioned when he made his comment about BH.
Gold Charger Wrote:Do you h ave a link to the story...quote?

http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/201...t|Sports|s

Below is the article from Marc Hardin in the Enquirer on Saturday.

The Newport Central Catholic football team is 6-0 for the first time in eight years after defeating Holmes 35-20 Friday at Newport Stadium.

NewCath, ranked third in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches' poll, bolted to a 21-0 lead while outgaining the 10th-ranked Bulldogs (3-3) in total yards, 182-57, in the opening quarter. The last time the Thoroughbreds were 6-0 was during the 2003 season when they won their first 12 games.

"Our goal is to go 15-0, and this is a good start," said quarterback Brady Hightchew, who keyed NewCath's opening-quarter performance.

The defending Class 2A state champion Thoroughbreds dominated the first half, amassing 311 yards of offense compared with 59 for Class 4A Holmes. Hightchew accounted for 253 total yards before the break on 10-of-16 passing for 165 yards plus 88 yards rushing. "I think Brady, by far, is the best football player in Northern Kentucky," 'Breds coach Eddie Eviston said. "He just does great things."

Hightchew engineered NewCath's game-opening scoring march of 54 yards on seven plays and capped it with a 26-yard touchdown pass to Mac Franzen. The drive was kept alive when Hightchew hit Pete Collopy with a 13-yard pass on fourth-and-5. Matt Burns extra-point kick gave NewCath a 7-0 lead.

"We wanted to get off to a good start," Hightchew said. "Franzen is a very talented sophomore and when you give him the ball quick, he can make plays."

Holmes ran six plays and punted, giving the ball back to the 'Breds at their own 21. Three plays later, NewCath was in the end zone as Hightchew hit Franzen with a 31-yard completion. Franzen fumbled but receiver Garrett Frey was there to recover for the touchdown and a 14-0 'Breds lead.

Holmes went four-and-out on its second drive and NewCath took over at it's own 46 following a punt. Hightchew ran 19 yards on first down and hit receiver Dan Ruwe with a 19-yard completion. Dylan Hayes scampered eight yards to the 1, where Hightchew punched it in on a keeper to help put the 'Bred up 21-0.

Hightchew added a 3-yard third-quarter TD pass to Collopy. Nick Woltermann caught a 21-yard scoring pass in the quarter from backup quarterback Josh Cain to give the 'Breds a 35-0 lead. Hightchew finished 14-of-22 passing for 180 yards and added 129 rushing yards on 14 carries while totaling 309 of NewCath's 432 offensive yards.

Franzen had four catches for 79 yards. Dylan Hayes rushed 11 times for 72 as NewCath amassed 224 yards on the ground while limiting Holmes to 109 rushing yards. Of the few negatives for NewCath were six fumbles, three of which were lost, 20 fourth-quarter points scored by the Bulldogs and an apparent neck injury suffered by Collopy during a Holmes on-side kick following the Bulldogs' second fourth-quarter touchdown. Collopy was taken to a hospital for X-rays after experiencing neck pain and numbness.

Top performers for Holmes included backup quarterback Charles Knox and receivers DeLand Hayes and Desean Peterson. All three of Knox's passes went for touchdowns, on completions of 49 and 11 yards to Hayes, and one of 44 yards to Peterson with 11.2 seconds to play.The Bulldogs had their two-game winning streak snapped.

[chart]
|Holmes|0|0|0|20|--20|
|NewCath|21|0|14|0|--35|
|N-Franzen 26 pass from Hightchew (Burns kick)

N-Frey fumble recovery in end zone (Burns kick)

N-Hightchew 1 run (Burns kick)

N-Collopy 3 pass from Hightchew (Burns kick)

N-Woltermann 21 pass from Cain (Burns kick)

H-Hayes 49 pass from Knox (Peterson run)

H-Hayes 11 pass from Knox (run failed)

H-Peterson 44 pass from Knox (pass failed)

Records: N 6-0, H 3-3|
[end chart]
Sounds like a coach supporting his player
Stardust Wrote:Good post. Put all this together now, and how would they do against Highlands?

I think Highlands wins, and wins fairly convincingly. NewCath still has a lot of two way starters and not as much overall depth as the Birds. 49-21 Highlands.
I think it is realy somthing to be proud of for a school of 800 plus to be good in at least one sport. Congratulations Bluebirds.
Can you dig it? Wrote:I think Highlands wins, and wins fairly convincingly. NewCath still has a lot of two way starters and not as much overall depth as the Birds. 49-21 Highlands.

Yes, a school of NCC's size could not compete into the 2nd half against the caliber of talent as the Birds with so many 2-way players.
ItIsWhatItIs Wrote:I think it is realy somthing to be proud of for a school of 800 plus to be good in at least one sport. Congratulations Bluebirds.

I know in your 12 years of life, it's hard to remember more than 2 yrs ago, but you may want to check historical facts. Highlands has won way more 9th region basketball titles, golf, track, cross country, tennis, swimming. Let's not even go towards soccer. Has NCC ever even won a post season soccer game? Football is a laugh. What sport has NCC been better at than Highlands long term? I guess just baseball.(Volleyball is not a sport). It's an activity. And one that's better suited for the beach. If you want to look at the last 2 years in baseball.(Since most of your data is based on 2 years. A real young, inexperienced Highlands baseball team, with a bad record, knocked NCC out of the district.

Should we also look at the facilities? Does NCC even have any facilities? Do they not borrow and rent everywhere they play? They do have a better view of the fireworks. And most importantly we can look at academics. I don't believe it's even a comparision. I believe NCC is a solid academic school and kids can get a good education at all schools with proper effort. But, when touring the school, I didn't see enough up to date technology to suit what I wanted for my kids. Kids are still ripping pages out of leaflets and Highlands kids are all using laptops. Just my opinion. It wasn't a tough decision on which school my kids were going to attend.

Other non-sports are better at Highlands in my opinion. There's just a lot more opportunity for other activities too. Cheerleading, dance team, band, the arts, theater. Highlands has a state of the art theater. The play at NCC is nice, but the seats are just floor level looking up at the stage which make it more difficult to see. I do feel NCC does a nice job with what they have.

A topic for another conversation, but with increasing tuition costs, increasing costs for technology to educate kids, decreasing and/or stagnant wages, how do the private schools stay viable? I hate seeing all the parachoial grade schools disappear that were my rivals growing up. And the closure of so many churches is also disappointing to me.
come on coach... no reason for that comment. i like that he brags on his players but maybe he took it a little too far.
A coach or anyone else has the right to say his player is the best. If you think someone is the best post it.
Let me first say I love the way the coach feels about his QB! I've watched every NCC game and the only issue I see is he really feels this way, so Brady has all the responsibility to win the game. This is one weakness in his game planning he doesn't run Hayes enough. 11 carries against Holmes all night isn't much. If Brady has another game like McNic and they plan on Hayes to pick up the pieces like he did then he might not be able to do it without having any oppertunities come playoff time. He needs to figure out how to get the ball to him more in big situations before playoff time we now Bray can do it can anyone else do it? Seems as though coach has given up on running the ball on the goal line. NCC will need that in the playoffs.
No quote from NCC about losing to Highlands in the post season in girls soccer on an annual basis. My intuition says NCC would drop the post season soccer game if it was possible. Just goes back to Itiswhatitis saying Highlands was only good in 1 sport.
Wideleft01 Wrote:No quote from NCC about losing to Highlands in the post season in girls soccer on an annual basis. My intuition says NCC would drop the post season soccer game if it was possible. Just goes back to Itiswhatitis saying Highlands was only good in 1 sport.

:boosign::lame::wtf1:
I commend the coach for "talking up" his own player. It has to make the kid feel good that his coach has so much confidence in him. He probably isn't the best in NKY but he would make my top 5.
Nothing at all wrong with that statement. What was he supposed to say? "Yeah he's good but not near as good as Patrick Towles or Zeke Pike." I think it is what you are supposed to do as a coach.