CC 1st & 10 on the CC 49
CC 1st & 10 on the HHS 34 w/ 1:28 left
CC 1st & 10 on HHS 18
3rd & 9 on the HHS 18 w a minute or so left
4th & 9, this is the game if they don't make it
4th and 9 50 seconds
Highlands ball

Two players down
wow gr8 game, i think these 2 meet again in he semis..
Turn over on downs: HHS in victory formation

HHS 42
CC 37
cuppett777 Wrote:wow gr8 game, i think these 2 meet again in he semis..

They'd meet the week before the semis. Winner gets the winner of Boyle/LexCath/Rockcastle if I am not mistaken.
This game went exactly like I thought it would. Highlands defense is not what people think it is. They have three or four good players on defense that cover up a lot of issues. They are not the second best team in the state.
nptb17 Wrote:This game went exactly like I thought it would. Highlands defense is not what people think it is. They have three or four good players on defense that cover up a lot of issues. They are not the second best team in the state.
The game went like I expected as well but I do think that Highlands is arguably the second best team in the state. However, they are not on a different level than Covington Catholic, John Hardin, or Bowling Green this season.
nptb17 Wrote:They are not the second best team in the state.

right. who else would beat the birds besides Trinity? That is a joke. One close game and they're terrible. a couple of bad turnovers made this game close. not taking anything away from the colonels, they are legit. the birds D still had the stones to stop them when it counted.
birdman44 Wrote:right. who else would beat the birds besides Trinity? That is a joke. One close game and they're terrible. a couple of bad turnovers made this game close. not taking anything away from the colonels, they are legit. the birds D still had the stones to stop them when it counted.
If Cov Cath doesn't miss the fieldgoal before the half, they are kicking for the win on top of the defensive lineman not picking the ball up and walking in the endzone.

Just becasue they have been beating the brakes off of not so good teams doesn't make them the second best team in the state. Bowling Green, John Hardin have just as big or even bigger arguments than Highlands.
nptb17 Wrote:If Cov Cath doesn't miss the fieldgoal before the half, they are kicking for the win on top of the defensive lineman not picking the ball up and walking in the endzone.

Just becasue they have been beating the brakes off of not so good teams doesn't make them the second best team in the state. Bowling Green, John Hardin have just as big or even bigger arguments than Highlands.

missed FG wouldve couldve? highlands doesnt fumble those 3 times and if the ref called at least half of the covcath holds and the birds win by 20.

whatever. john hardin plays schools at the level of dayton and bellvue. didnt a lesser highlands team beat them by 5 tds in a state game? bowling green always chokes in the playoffs. seems they are usually a team that was supposed to be good with no ring.

every team has a hick-up game or two. towels still looked crazy good.
birdman44 Wrote:missed FG wouldve couldve? highlands doesnt fumble those 3 times and if the ref called at least half of the covcath holds and the birds win by 20.

whatever. john hardin plays schools at the level of dayton and bellvue. didnt a lesser highlands team beat them by 5 tds in a state game? bowling green always chokes in the playoffs. seems they are usually a team that was supposed to be good with no ring.

I'm sure Cov Cath felt they were held too. That is how the game is played as far as holding is concerned. Cov Cath fumbled too but we aren't counting those right. John Hardin beat a Boyle County team a lot worse than Highlands did this season. And when is Lexington Catholic equal to Bellevue and Dayton. Or Boone County, Jtown and so on....
birdman44 Wrote:missed FG wouldve couldve? highlands doesnt fumble those 3 times and if the ref called at least half of the covcath holds and the birds win by 20.

Highlands 35 Boyle County 14
John Hardin 28 Boyle County 0

You're right, Highlands is in a league of their own. No way can John Hardin or Bowling Green justify breathing the same rarefied air as this season's mighty 'Birds.

Why not just be happy that Highlands is a perennial top 5 team that is capable of losing to several other good Kentucky teams on a given day? Trinity plays on a different level than every other team in Kentucky this season. If Highlands is the second best team in the state, the gap between them and the third best team is so small as to be immeasurable - at least at this point in the season.
i think its funny when highlands has one little close game with their arch rival everyone thinks they are not the real deal. Cov Cath would beat Boyle, JC, LexCath, John Hardin and who ever else you think is as good as the birds.

I know that birds are on a level that if they have close win against a great team everyone looks at it like a loss. no one looks at john hardin like that.

everyone just jumps at the chance to dump on the birds every 30 years when it comes around.

seems like when highlands was blasting Bowling green and john hardin in the state game like middle school teams everyone was saying, "Boyle is better down in 4a you guys just dont know." and now we are in 4a and everyone is bragging about bowling green and john hardin. we can only be in one division, sorry.

lets see what teams win state
The 4A state championship will be played November 18th at Highlands. game will be between Cov Cath and Highlands. I'm expecting a sell out crowd.
nptb17 Wrote:If Cov Cath doesn't miss the fieldgoal before the half, they are kicking for the win on top of the defensive lineman not picking the ball up and walking in the endzone.

I posted this in another thread, but it fits here too.

Comparing one year to another usually means very little, but when looking at comparative improvement, it can give a little gauge to go by.

Last year, Christian County defeated Bowling Green 14 - 10, and John Hardin 45 - 20. Highlands took Christian to the woodshed 50 - 0. The Birds are arguably better this year...Have BG and/or JH improved to the degree that it would be CONCEIVABLE that they could have unseated Highlands as 5A champs had the Birds not been dropped down to 4A?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Highlands 35 Boyle County 14

You're right, Highlands is in a league of their own. No way can John Hardin or Bowling Green justify breathing the same rarefied air as this season's mighty 'Birds.

Why not just be happy that Highlands is a perennial top 5 team that is capable of losing to several other good Kentucky teams on a given day? Trinity plays on a different level than every other team in Kentucky this season. If Highlands is the second best team in the state, the gap between them and the third best team is so small as to be immeasurable - at least at this point in the season.

Very true.

As small as the gap that the Grand Canyon makes
Highlands fans, you have a common opponent with John Hardin this season, so you need not speculate as to whether John Hardin has improved drastically this season. Maybe by playoff time, Highlands will again be much better than anybody in western Kentucky, but so far the evidence says the Birds belong in a second tier of teams that includes, at a minimum, John Hardin, BG, and Covington Catholic.

Last season, most Highlands fans predicted that the Birds would blow out the Colonels. It didn't happen. In last season's playoffs, Johnson Central easily defeated Covington Catholic. Highlands fans predicted that the Birds would blow out Johnson Central in the regional finals. Once again, the predicted romp never happened. JC came within a dropped pass within the final seconds of the game of having a chance to beat the mighty Bluebirds. Last week, most Highlands fans, ignoring last season's results, once again predicted that Highlands would stomp all over Covington Catholic. Again, it never happened.

Now, following its second straight close call at the hands of the Colonels, Highlands fans are crowing that Covington Catholic is the only team having a chance of beating them this season. Not only that, among Highlands fans, it seems to be a matter of fact that Highlands is heads and shoulders above every team in Kentucky except Trinity. (One of them even made the statement that Highlands is "arguably" the best team in the state.)

I am picking up a pattern here with some Highlands fans and their predictions...the predictions are getting to be a little bit too predictable. It is time for a reality check. Highlands is a very good high school football team. Highlands is not unbeatable. Highlands is not one of the top 25 or even top 50 teams in the country this season. Highlands is a big fish in a small pond but it is not the only big fish in the pond.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Highlands 35 Boyle County 14

Several??? Like one since 2006? Since the beginning of the 2007 season, they are 59 - 1 against KY competition.
Blau Vogel Wrote:Several??? Like one since 2006? Since the beginning of the 2007 season, they are 59 - 1 against KY competition.
The current Highlands team has not been playing since 2006 - they began playing in August 2011. Thanks for demonstrating my point about Highlands fans. :Thumbs: