Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Associated Press Rankings 9/13/11
KState Wrote:Did Highlands just win the 5A State Championship last year? How are they now 4A? Funny how they've beaten 2 of the top 5 teams in their class.

Actually, they have won the 5A championship the last 4 years. Prior to the latest classification update, they were permitted to play UP from 3A to 5A along with CovCath which played up from 4A to 5A. When the KHSAA came up with the most recent reclassification, the Birds just barely made the cut as one of the smallest 4A teams. This time, playing up was not an option for ANYONE.
Beauty & Beast Wrote:Hazard will prove that their definately number one in Class A by season's end. Perry Central is overrated, way too high in 5A. Go DAWGS!

you get the idiot award in this thread! way to go! :Thumbs:
It seems obvious that there is a certain number of AP voters that basically look at a team's record and rank them on that, regardless of how tough that schedule may be.

Some rankings I question:

A. Hazard is too low in Class A. They lose 14-0 to a top-5 team in 2A and get penalized for it. Who in the world have Fairview and Pikeville beaten to put them above Hazard?

B. I think Franklin-Simpson is getting the short end of the stick, based on their loss to Warren Central. I have a hard time believing there are more than 10 teams in 4A that are better than the Wildcats.

C. St. Xavier with two first-place votes? Wow. Anyone that doesn't put Trinity at #1 needs to have their voting privileges revoked.
^^^ Who has hazard played and beaten to b over Pikeville. last year was last year. Pikeville has beaten Harlan and Raceland. Fairview on the other hand is way too high! theres still alot of season for hazard to move up which i expect they will until then looks good other than fairview.
Mastadon89 Wrote:^^^ Who has hazard played and beaten to b over Pikeville. last year was last year. Pikeville has beaten Harlan and Raceland. Fairview on the other hand is way too high! theres still alot of season for hazard to move up which i expect they will until then looks good other than fairview.
Are Harlan and Raceland remotely comparable to Somerset?
lochocinco Wrote:It seems obvious that there is a certain number of AP voters that basically look at a team's record and rank them on that, regardless of how tough that schedule may be.

Some rankings I question:

A. Hazard is too low in Class A. They lose 14-0 to a top-5 team in 2A and get penalized for it. Who in the world have Fairview and Pikeville beaten to put them above Hazard?

B. I think Franklin-Simpson is getting the short end of the stick, based on their loss to Warren Central. I have a hard time believing there are more than 10 teams in 4A that are better than the Wildcats.

C. St. Xavier with two first-place votes? Wow. Anyone that doesn't put Trinity at #1 needs to have their voting privileges revoked.

Franklin-Simpson is better than their record shows. They should potentially be in the there, but you could make the same argument for Madisonville-Hopkins, Rowan County, Ashland-Blazer, and slightly lesser argument for North Oldham, Owensboro, and Collins. The Top 3 are hard to argue about, and then there are about 10-12 teams competing for those last 7 top 10 spots...Boyle has the slight advantage to spot #4.
Dragonsdad Wrote:You are right DF. But I just don't think Warren Central or Christian Co. could beat HC. But that's just my opinion. You are also right that "injustice" was laying it on a little thick. I was just shocked to see them ranked over HC after they had been ranked 3rd to this point. In my opinion,with the meat of HC's schedule coming up,HC will regain the third spot if not higher by season's end. But,other than the Green Dragons,I am partial to HC. I don't think you can fault me for that.

If Harlan County goes undefeated, then it should be a cinch that they'll at least move one spot higher because either Bowling Green or Warren Central is going to lose when they play, which will drop one. But the more I watch, the more I believe neither is going to lose to anyone else in the regular season. I don't think Christian County or John Hardin is going to lose to anyone either, so it'll have to be something impressive by Harlan County to move up or a very lackluster performance by one of those teams ahead of them. The major games for Harlan County to do that come at the end of the year, when they play Perry County Central and Bell County.

I think the reason those two got moved up is the record of Harlan County's opponents compared to the stature of those Christian County and Warren Central have beaten. I don't think it is insignificant that those two have beaten some very high profile schools from in-state while Harlan County has played only one in-state team - I think that voters know nothing about the out of staters beyond their records.

Finally, I will say I think it is also overstating to say you don't think either "could" beat Harlan County. I just don't see the basis for that statement. I don't believe it can be ruled out that those teams "could" beat Bowling Green or John Hardin, though I'd certainly favor those teams to win the majority of games in a matchup. I really feel at this point you have Bowling Green and John Hardin in a tier, then Harlan County, Warren Central, and Christian County. I'd call it a pick-em within the tiers, and then the top tier would be expected to win 8 out of 10 against the next tier down.
DragonFire Wrote:If Harlan County goes undefeated, then it should be a cinch that they'll at least move one spot higher because either Bowling Green or Warren Central is going to lose when they play, which will drop one. But the more I watch, the more I believe neither is going to lose to anyone else in the regular season. I don't think Christian County or John Hardin is going to lose to anyone either, so it'll have to be something impressive by Harlan County to move up or a very lackluster performance by one of those teams ahead of them. The major games for Harlan County to do that come at the end of the year, when they play Perry County Central and Bell County.

I think the reason those two got moved up is the record of Harlan County's opponents compared to the stature of those Christian County and Warren Central have beaten. I don't think it is insignificant that those two have beaten some very high profile schools from in-state while Harlan County has played only one in-state team - I think that voters know nothing about the out of staters beyond their records.

Finally, I will say I think it is also overstating to say you don't think either "could" beat Harlan County. I just don't see the basis for that statement. I don't believe it can be ruled out that those teams "could" beat Bowling Green or John Hardin, though I'd certainly favor those teams to win the majority of games in a matchup. I really feel at this point you have Bowling Green and John Hardin in a tier, then Harlan County, Warren Central, and Christian County. I'd call it a pick-em within the tiers, and then the top tier would be expected to win 8 out of 10 against the next tier down.
You could be right Dragonfire. We will just have to wait and see how it all pans out.