Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Davis Named Head Coach Of South Laurel
Seen everyone talking about this in the other thread...heres the story..

TheTimesTribune.com, Corbin, KY

CORBIN — By Les Dixon // Sports Editor

After more than a month of speculation on who was going to get the South Laurel Cardinal boys basketball head coach job, former Simon Kenton assistant coach Jeff Davis, 33, accepted the position Tuesday.

Davis, who is originally from Russell, graduated Fairview High School in 1996 and was an assistant coach at Russell and Morehead State University before coaching at Simon Kenton for five years.

“This is one of the top jobs in the state,” Davis said. “Just like anybody, when you get that first job and then you add on top of that, this job, I mean it’s exciting and unbelievable. Like I said, I’m just honored.

“I’ve been looking for the last two or three years and one of the great things where I was at Simon Kenton — it was a great place,” he added. “It was a great job and I worked for a guy that was a brother to me. I didn’t have to take a job. I didn’t just to need to be a head coach because where I was, I was happy. But this job is one that is a job you’ve got to leave for. I owe those people everything. I’m going to miss them, but it’s time to move on and fulfill a dream of mine.”

Davis said he met up with most of the current Cardinal players Tuesday and got a feeling the players are happy the program finally has a coach

“I don’t want to speak for the kids, but I do think they are probably glad it’s over,” he said. “They know who their coach is for real now and you know, I feel for them. It’s been a long process to go all summer and not know who your new coach is. You hear so much and I just feel for them.

“But it’s over with now,” Davis added. “It’s time to move on. We can’t live in the past. We got to start building now.”

David did confirm both Dennis Hammonds and Jesse Sizemore will return as assistant coaches next season.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” he said. “I’m coming to a place where I know no one. I need both of those guys.”

Davis is also known for his coaching at the AAU level, which he downplayed a bit.

“AAU is AAU,” he said. “Yes, I did it, but I’ve coached some really talented players. Let’s just be honest. If you’re coaching kids that are that talented, it makes it easy to be a good coach. That’s the truth. There are struggles coaching them.

“You’ve got to convince nine to 10 talented guys and get them to play as a team,” Davis added. That’s tough, but then again, it’s AAU. It’s not that I don’t like to be associated with that, but I think some people just want to associate me with that and there is just so much more.”

Davis said former coaches’ longevity at Laurel County/South Laurel was the main factor that sold him on taking a program that is just six years removed from a state championship.

“Steve (Wright) was here 21 years and before him Chuck Broughton was here for a long time,” he said. “They are known here to have coaches that stay. I like to know that they have stability and they have people that back you.

“It’s what it is,” Davis added. “What do I have to lose? I’m getting a heck of a job that has a team coming back that was fairly young, but has the history of being good year in and year out. It doesn’t mean we’re going to have a state championship banner every year, but we do have a chance to win and compete every year.”

Davis said he would like to play a more uptempo style of basketball, but was quick to point out it’s according to what type of team he has returning.

“It really depends on the team,” he said. “I’d prefer to play quick and play aggressive on both ends. That’s a fact. Will we go run and press and all of that stuff? I would like to, but it depends on what we have. To play that style we’ve got to play hard.”

Davis knows he’s taking on a team that missed out on making a trip to the regional tournament for the first time since 2000 and his outlook on the program’s future is bright.

“My outlook is to be as successful as we can with each team,” he said. “I’ve told everybody I’ve come in here to work hard and do the best we can to have our teams prepared best that we can have them and compete. Those are the only promises I can make. That’s who I am. I don’t need a whole lot. Let’s just roll the ball and get to work — I don’t need a lot of fanfare. I’m just lucky and fortunate I got this chance.”

http://thetimestribune.com/sports/x85029...than-never
Nice article. best of luck to Coach Davis
Good luck coach davis and thank god we finally have a coach:Thumbs:
Good luck coach Davis
good luck coach
Coach Davis is a good one. Watched him for years at SK. Great practice and in game coach. Lots of energy and one of the loudest foot stomps in the game.