Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How? (Reds game stat line)
J Cueto
(L, 6-4) 5.0 7 6 0 1 5 0 110-67 1.88

How do you give up 6 runs and NONE of them earned?
LWC Wrote:J Cueto
(L, 6-4) 5.0 7 6 0 1 5 0 110-67 1.88

How do you give up 6 runs and NONE of them earned?

Very Carefully
In Reds like fashion... I swear we have one of the best defensive teams in all of the league but we pick a night like tonight to have all of the errors come at horrible times. Gaw...... My poor reds.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If a team scored runs off of errors, they aren't earned by the pitcher.

He gave up the runs but the defense let him down big time tonight.
Last night was a joke of a game to watch!
CINCINNATI -- The Jonny Gomes trade to the Nationals was finalized about the time the Reds were going to take the field Tuesday night.

Does that affect a team?

• Box score

“Probably so,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “He was a big part of our family.”

The Reds played as if they were in shock or just shockingly bad. They made three errors and could have been charged with two more in an ugly 8-6 loss to the New York Mets before a crowd of 27,552 at Great American Ball Park.

Johnny Cueto’s streak of quality starts ended at 11. With better fielding, he may have made it through the required six innings.

“We gave away a lot of runs tonight,” Baker said. “We kicked the ball around. Johnny threw the ball pretty good. But they had batted around twice before we batted around once. (The errors) were very uncharacteristic.”

The Reds' loss, coupled with St. Louis’ 3-1 win over Houston, put the Reds five games back in the National League Central.

Cueto pitched five innings and allowed six runs – none of which were earned – and seven hits, struck out five and walked one. All the extra outs had Cueto’s pitch count at 110 before he left the game one hitter into the sixth inning.

“I can’t control that,” Cueto said. “It’s part of the game. I was just trying to throw strikes, put the ball in play. No one wants to make an error.”

The Reds gave the Mets a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Justin Turner doubled with one out, Carlos Beltran reached on an error on a ball that went right off first baseman Joey Votto’s glove. That put runners on first and third.

Turner scored on David Wright’s groundout, and Daniel Murphy followed with a flyball to right field. Jay Bruce got a glove on it, but the ball dropped. It was generously scored a hit.

The Mets scored two more unearned runs -- Brandon Phillips misplayed a ball to start the inning -- in the third to make it 4-0.

The Reds got on the board in the fourth. Phillips singled with one out. He stole second and scored an out later on Chris Heisey’s RBI singled.

The Reds took the lead in the fifth. Ramon Hernandez walked. Cueto sacrificed him to second. Drew Stubbs singled. Edgar Renteria got both runners home with a double down the right field line. Votto followed with a home run to left field to make it 5-4.

Baker tried to get one more inning out of Cueto. Cueto walked Jason Bay to start the inning. Ronny Paulino followed with a potential double-play ball to Miguel Cairo at third. Cairo booted it for a two-base error.

"It happened so quick," Baker said. "We couldn’t get (Aroldis) Chapman ready."

Cueto gave up a two-run double to Jason Pridie on his 110th pitch of the night.
That made it 6-5.

Nick Masset gave up two runs on four hits in the seventh to make it an
8-5 game.

The Reds drew within two runs in the eighth on Fred Lewis’ pinch-hit RBI single.
How much of the Reds poor play can be attributed to losing Gomes right at game time????
I dont like the trade. I liked Gomes though, and thought he was a very solid player. Guys like Gomes are perfect role players for teams trying to win championships. Dont know about this one..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think that trade was a move that needed to be done. If you are not getting any type of production from a man that plays the same position as some good prospects down in triple-a, a move has to be made. Gomes, outside of one month last year, has been extremely unproductive hovering just above the Mendoza line... When your offense NEEDS a spark in the middle of the lineup something has to be done. Getting Alonso in there may boost the energy and redefine this lineup.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think the Gomes deal did infact hurt the team last night.

Gomes was a team guy, very well liked by everyone.

I'm sad to see him go like everyone else, but you know its time for Alonso and Co. to make their mark.
^ I could not agree with you more!