Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Football scrimmages
Can anybody tell me how high school football scrimmages are played? Do they play 4 quarters like in a real game? Are outside referees used? Can the coaches stop play and talk to players without calling a timeout?
rick2517 Wrote:Can anybody tell me how high school football scrimmages are played? Do they play 4 quarters like in a real game? Are outside referees used? Can the coaches stop play and talk to players without calling a timeout?

Most scrimmagesare just like a real game 4 quarters. but they clock runs the whole time. they have referees and the coaches can stand on the field and be in huddles
most 1st scrims are a variety.. might have a 20 minute first half that's done by possession, then the 2nd half is alternating 10-play series, so you could be scoreless at the half, but down by 60 when you get the ball back.

also no kicking, time-outs don't stop the scoreboard clock - just the play clock, usually pretty quick whistles on sacks, a lot of penalties aren't flagged, but are pointed out
The last few years the ones I have been to are something like 10 offensive plays for each team back and forth in the first scrimmage of the year....the years we played ywo the 2nd one was normally played like a regular game with JV playing all of fourth quarter.