Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is The Obsession With The Wishbone?
I can think of just a few teams that have won the state championship with the Wishbone over the past 10 years. Why is it so big on these boards?

I love the 'bone--but in reality, it isn't the hardest offense in the world to stop unless the team that is running it is physically superior.

So--why all of the love for the Wishbone?
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:I can think of just a few teams that have won the state championship with the Wishbone over the past 10 years. Why is it so big on these boards?

I love the 'bone--but in reality, it isn't the hardest offense in the world to stop unless the team that is running it is physically superior.

So--why all of the love for the Wishbone?

I think you get it a lot on here due to the fact that so many are from Eastern Kentucky. I know at Belfry it has been the bread and butter for many years now. We love it! The other team knows what we are going to do out of the bone and most cannot stop it.

:Skull03:
BelfryJustice Wrote:I think you get it a lot on here due to the fact that so many are from Eastern Kentucky. I know at Belfry it has been the bread and butter for many years now. We love it! The other team knows what we are going to do out of the bone and most cannot stop it.

:Skull03:

I had a feeling that was some of the reasoning.

But here are a couple questions--
1. What does Belfrey do when they don't have the correct personnel to run the bone? (OR do they ever even get to that point?)
2. What happens when you run across a team that can stop the bone?
If I had my choice, I would much rather see a more balanced attack, it keeps opponents at home and they cant key on any particular player or play. With that said, the wishbone is a very effective offense if executed properly and with the right personnel running it, it doesnt matter what opposing defenses do to stop it, they will have a hard time doing it. Also the smash mouth style of play grinds the clock and your opponent down and allows you to control the tempo of the game.
I grew up watching the wishbone in the old Pikeville system and when Coach Howard had the players for the bone he was tough to beat. If you have the players though(good QB, good WRs and good pass blocking linemen)to have a balanced attack it is the way to go IMO. I love the system that Coach Holcomb over at Breathitt County runs.

I think since Coach Mumme was at UK it has made the passing game more popular in high school football in Kentucky. Maybe I am wrong but it seems that a lot more teams throw the ball more than they did before Mumme brought his offense to Lexington.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:I had a feeling that was some of the reasoning.

1. What does Belfrey do when they don't have the correct personnel to run the bone? (OR do they ever even get to that point?)

I will try to answer your questions as honestly as I can:

1. I dont think we will ever not have the personnel to run the wishbone, its kinda kinda like evolution around these parts I guess, we are born and bred for it. The only time I can ever remember when we kinda got away from it was during Jonathon Wrights days.

2. Unfortunately the answer to your second question may make quite a few of my fellow Pirate fans angry, but when we run across a team that can stop it, 9 out of 10 times, we get beat. Haywood is not a big fan of making any kind of adjustments to his offensive scheme, if it doesnt work the first 20 times, it may work the 21st time I guess lol. 2002 against Breathitt County stands out in my mind as the best example of this, we ran into an 11 man line all night long, granted it was a scoreless game until the 4th quarter if my memory serves me correctly, we never attempted a pass until after the game was put away by the Bobcats.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:I had a feeling that was some of the reasoning.

1). Most of the time Belfry has the personnel to run this offense. There has been times during Haywood’s career at Belfry that he has changed up some. He went to the gun for a season late in the 90’s and did well with it. In 2005 he had the veer in there a lot. Most of the time that he has been there it has been the wishbone. A lot of the teams that we play cannot stop the wishbone. Haywood is very conservative and sticks to the game plan.

chemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

2). I am not trying to be smart or anything but we lost. We have never been a big passing team and that isn't something that you can just add once you get stopped at what you do best.

TongueirateSho
In regard to Belfry (in particular)--is there any kind of passing game that is integrated with the current offense? Simply because--running the wishbone doesn't mean that you are not allowed to throw the ball. And, some passing out of the bone would be scary. . . . .
They have 2, maybe 3 passing plays that are used very sparingly, but they are quite unstoppable when done at the right time, and very obvious when they are not.
it works
Blackcat75 Wrote:it works

That says it all when it comes to Belfry and the wishbone. I played against the Pirates when they had Jonathan Wright and passed the ball out of the gun a lot and they were just not the same Belfry team...not near as tough and good. Belfry is the top program in Eastern Kentucky right now so whatever they are doing they need to do more of it.
I loved it when I played QB and still do just because of the triple option and the other things you can do from it: you can fake a fullback dive and hand it to a back with still another lead blocker, you can have a halfback lead with two lead blockers, counters- some could be fake to one halfback and hand to another, sweeps, quick pitches.
Many ppl pobably likes it b/c you can get in it and sometimes run the ball right down ppl's throat. You can't hardly stop it unless you are a well git team and b/c most of the time they pick some pretty mean a$$ boys in the back field.
I think the Wishbone is the best formation in football. You have to be a very smart team to run it.
BULLRUSH Wrote:I think the Wishbone is the best formation in football. You have to be a very smart team to run it.

How smart do you have to be?

I don't think that I agree with that statement at all.

Depending on what you are trying to do--it can be complicated. But most teams are not trying to use massive misdirection while running the bone anymore. They are trying to be a power football team.

The blocking is extremely easy (if you choose to keep things simple--like most teams do). The QB progression is even easier.

Please explain why you have to be so smart to run the bone as compared against something like Divide, Twins Open? Or the Wing-T?
KHB I think what he is trying to say is making the read, The QB has to be football smart and know when to leave it and when to pull it, LC use to be on of the best at running the ball but we were hardly in the bone we just ran out of the I formation or in the rest days wing T, but we have been lucky to have the QB and backs to run the Belly read set, and it great when you put it all together.
KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote:How smart do you have to be?

I don't think that I agree with that statement at all.

Depending on what you are trying to do--it can be complicated. But most teams are not trying to use massive misdirection while running the bone anymore. They are trying to be a power football team.

The blocking is extremely easy (if you choose to keep things simple--like most teams do). The QB progression is even easier.

Please explain why you have to be so smart to run the bone as compared against something like Divide, Twins Open? Or the Wing-T?

At Belfry a QB is responsible for making a lot of checks, to determine blocking schemes, and reads within the Belly, Triple Option, and the Veer. The footwork required by a Belfry QB is more difficult than most, but all of the above are things that go relatively un-noticed unless you know what to look for.

BTW.....Belfry has went away from the bone more than once in the past 10 years. In my day we were strictly Pro-I and great success with it.
We ran this offense my freshman year all the way to my junior year and used it alot my senior year also...i love this offense because it is so easy to block for...everything is so quick hitting and its so easy to block for...it seems like you get 3-4 yards every snap...its a great ball control offense and every now and then you will bust a big play for 20+ yards...also you can do great play action passes out of this offense because the defense will always cheat up to stop the run...if you have a good strong offensive line and a fast quaterback that can throw a decent ball, and a couple strong backs...this offense is hard to stop no matter who you are...
HappyGilmore Wrote:At Belfry a QB is responsible for making a lot of checks, to determine blocking schemes, and reads within the Belly, Triple Option, and the Veer. The footwork required by a Belfry QB is more difficult than most, but all of the above are things that go relatively un-noticed unless you know what to look for.

BTW.....Belfry has went away from the bone more than once in the past 10 years. In my day we were strictly Pro-I and great success with it.

Good post, Happy and Bat--

That makes a little more sense. My experience with the bone doesn't go that far (self admittingly). We have ran it alot at certain points (usually for the purpose of clock management--and a lot with Menetrey in 2005)--but it wasn't the belly series or the triple.

But honestly, I needed to be reminded.

On that note--does Belfry change to fit their personnel or does Coach Haywood change for the sake of something different . . . . .
KHB I know a few teams that may give you a look like they are running belly or triple but its preset who will get the ball no matter what the read should have been. I know when Coach matney first started running it ( no disrespect to him he is a good friend) but he would run belly and triple but 85 % of the time it was preset, and as he got confortable with the QB and the offense he would have them make the read.\
Now with Chuke Williams it was always your better make the read and make it right or you had to deal with him, and I think that is what made them such good QB's and one of the States best Running teams at LC in the State in the 90's.
Belfry is alot like LC was but they were always in the wishbone and bigger and a little bit slower but strong backs and 2 State Titles.
The Bone is unstoppable when executed correctly.
The offensive line has to be football smart when running the belly, veer, or triple option. The QB has the hardest job reading the tackles and checking off!!!
PantherPride68 Wrote:The Bone is unstoppable when executed correctly.

No offense, ALONE, is unstoppable.

Mixed with the right players--it can be. But most offenses have weaknesses that can be exploited. The bone is no different.
the wishbone is pretty simple.
u just have to have a QB with common sense and there ya go..the RB's dont have much to think about, nor does the line for the most part
Just one time I want to see a team run the old maryland I
I love it but it is and old warhorse offense that you really dont see anymore
Doc Holliday Wrote:Just one time I want to see a team run the old maryland I
I love it but it is and old warhorse offense that you really dont see anymore

Doc Lawrence Co uses it every now and again, they run alot of the stacked eye like that and then run belly or veer. and even some just power run it down ya throat.
No one can stop the wishbone