Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campbell County 8 - vs. Bishop Brossart 7 (37th District Championship)
Final
With the week his team was having, Campbell County baseball coach Scott Schweitzer just had a feeling.

With the Camels trailing by four runs in the fourth inning and senior Michael Kremer at the plate with the bases loaded, Schweitzer turned from his post in the third base coaching box and let slip a gutsy prediction to a nearby spectator.

“I said ‘I wouldn’t be surprised if (Kremer) tied this thing up'" Schweitzer said.

Kremer turned that boast into fact when he drilled a grand slam over the left field fence at St. Mary’s, where the Camels completed a dramatic journey to the 37th District tournament title with a 7-6 win over Bishop Brossart in eight innings. Both teams advance to the 10th Region tournament – the fourth consecutive trip for Campbell County.

The Camels (18-12), ranked eighth in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches’ poll, needed an equally improbable victory in Monday’s semifinals to reach the championship game. They fell behind early to Calvary Christian by three runs, but again escaped with an eighth inning victory thanks to a game-winning single by Michael Teegarden.

“These guys have a lot of fight in them,” Schweitzer said. “It doesn’t matter if we’re down eleven runs or two runs, they don’t ever give up.”

After using his bat to play the hero on Monday, Teegarden took his talents to the mound against the Mustangs (24-12). The senior right-hander allowed five runs in the first two innings – a tally padded by a two-run homer from Brossart junior Trevor Bezold – but Teegarden rebounded with five scoreless innings to earn the victory.

“I was a little shaky (early on),” said Teegarden, who walked three batters and hit three more during the first three innings. “I just tried to stay calm. I didn’t get antsy like I normally do. I kept my focus and I got through it.”

The Camels began their comeback in the fourth inning when Mitch Miller, Jared White and Nate Losey collected singles off Brossart starter Jake Ollier to load the bases with two outs. Ollier hit the next batter to force in a run before Kremer cleared the bags with to tie the game at 5-5.

“That brought the life right back into the dugout,” Schweitzer said.

The reinvigorated Camels claimed their first lead in the top of the eighth on an RBI single from Jake Rebholz. They added an insurance run on a sacrifice fly from Teegarden to move ahead 7-5. Campbell County ultimately needed that insurance as the Mustangs pushed across a run in the home half of the eighth before junior Alex Huesman finished Brossart off to earn the save.

“Campbell fought and they scratched and they took advantage of opportunities better than we did,” said Brossart coach Matt Grosser.
W – Teegarden (4-5), 7 IP, 5 BB, 7K; L – Ollier (2-6), 4 IP, 2K; C – Losey 3-5, 2R; Kremer 2-4, HR, 4 RBI, R; Rebholz 2-4, R, 2 RBI; B – Bezold 2-4, R, 3 RBI, HR; Fardo 2-4, R, RBI.
Congrats on a great win!
Nice come back win for the Camels. They must stay focused!!!!!!!! WOOHOO for the Camels!!!