Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best team you have ever seen in person?
What's the best high school baseball team you have ever seen in person?

I'm from Lawrence County and we have had some good teams but best team I have seen in person was the Lexington Catholic team that the Bulldogs played last year. They had excellent pitching, defense, and could hit the ball really well. Also, Harrison County last year looked really good to me, then the PRP team from Louisville in the 2008 state title game.
I've seen many, but last years Harrison County squad ranks right up at the top.
I was very well pleased with Harrison County they were loaded with talent. Anytime you get to watch those area schools you know they will be good.
Christian Co.'s run during the 2004 ,'05, and '06 seasons would certainly have to make them rank up there with the best Kentucky teams of all time. I'm sure there have been teams with more individualy talented players , but probably no team that has played as well as a unit. I forget what the total wins was in the win streak they put together, but it was quite a string.
Bob Seger Wrote:Christian Co.'s run during the 2004 ,'05, and '06 seasons would certainly have to make them rank up there with the best Kentucky teams of all time. I'm sure there have been teams with more individualy talented players , but probably no team that has played as well as a unit. I forget what the total wins was in the win streak they put together, but it was quite a string.

Christian County had a great run back then. They have some very good young players this year and may make another run in a couple of years.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:What's the best high school baseball team you have ever seen in person?

I'm from Lawrence County and we have had some good teams but best team I have seen in person was the Lexington Catholic team that the Bulldogs played last year. They had excellent pitching, defense, and could hit the ball really well. Also, Harrison County last year looked really good to me, then the PRP team from Louisville in the 2008 state title game.
I'd have to say one of THE best teams I've ever seen was I believe the 1987 Cumberland HS team. That team had loads of talent, I don't remember their record, but their star pitcher that year (Freddie Maggard) ended up being drafted by the KC Royals, but chose to play football at UK instead. I'm from Pikeville, and I've seen a bunch of good teams, players, etc. But top to bottom, that 87 Cumberland team was a monster. The Harrison County team from last year was really good as well, would have loved to seen a matchup between them and the Pikeville team.
adopted purple Wrote:Christian County had a great run back then. They have some very good young players this year and may make another run in a couple of years.

Christian always has a great bunch of athletes. Do they have the makings for another multi-year dominating type team? They started a bunch of freshmen on the '04 team. What ever happened to Chad Carner? I know that Wheeler went to Union and Stacy went to Western. How about some of the others?
2010 Harrison County
2003 or 2004 LCA?
I really haven't seen a ton of great teams in person. Oh, well. Plenty of time for that.

I have seen a lot of great summer teams. Watching East Cobb this summer was mind-blowing.
IMO the Harrison County teams (pick one) from 97-98 where hands down the best teams I've ever seen. The pro talent they put out says everything. Those kids could flat out hit. They would have four peated if not for PRP having slightly deeper pitching in 95 and 96.
Panther Thunder Wrote:2010 Harrison County
2003 or 2004 LCA?
I really haven't seen a ton of great teams in person. Oh, well. Plenty of time for that.

I have seen a lot of great summer teams. Watching East Cobb this summer was mind-blowing.

If you ever have the opportunity to go to Marietta Ga, go to the East Cobb Tournament. They have several age divisions with the 18u division playing probably sometime in either late June or mid July. I cant remember exactly when the 18u division is held. I have been to several age divisions tournaments there, and I know that the 16u group is staged during the 4th of July week, so it's not that week. East Cobb is one of the nation's premeir baseball hot spots. The East Cobb area will have several teams in the tournament and they are all good. They'll have about 90-100 other elite teams from all across the country there as well. It's the best of the best playing in this one. Truly a baseball spectacular.
Bob Seger Wrote:If you ever have the opportunity to go to Marietta Ga, go to the East Cobb Tournament. They have several age divisions with the 18u division playing probably sometime in either late June or mid July. I cant remember exactly when the 18u division is held. I have been to several age divisions tournaments there, and I know that the 16u group is staged during the 4th of July week, so it's not that week. East Cobb is one of the nation's premeir baseball hot spots. The East Cobb area will have several teams in the tournament and they are all good. They'll have about 90-100 other elite teams from all across the country there as well. It's the best of the best playing in this one. Truly a baseball spectacular.
My brother played a tournament there. Tate Banks played with that team as well. They said they played great competition and others teams they saw down there were loaded. They have played two different East Cobb teams. I will have to head down there sometime. Eventually, if no one else does, I want to start a good summer/fall program. Little early in the game for that, but gimme some time :biggrin:.
Panther Thunder Wrote:My brother played a tournament there. Tate Banks played with that team as well. They said they played great competition and others teams they saw down there were loaded. They have played two different East Cobb teams. I will have to head down there sometime. Eventually, if no one else does, I want to start a good summer/fall program. Little early in the game for that, but gimme some time :biggrin:.

Did he play in the 18u tournament or the 16u? At a lot of the 18u games I have seen as many as 30-40 college and/or pro scouts at a single game. You wont find many scouts at the lower age divisions unless there is some phenom playing in one of those games.
Bob Seger Wrote:Did he play in the 18u tournament or the 16u? At a lot of the 18u games I have seen as many as 30-40 college and/or pro scouts at a single game. You wont find many scouts at the lower age divisions unless there is some phenom playing in one of those games.
I'm 99% sure it was 16u.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I'm 99% sure it was 16u.

Still a great tournament with the same players that in two years the scouts will be all over.
I'm gonna have to go with Harrison County on this one.
justfacts Wrote:I'm gonna have to go with Harrison County on this one.
Which year?
I've only been to the state baseball tournament a few times but 3 teams stick out.
Trinity, Christian and Lafayette all in 2004