Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineville 2011
I know they got a better runningback than like they had in the 2010 season when they had cody hendrickson and they have the same oline. I just want to know if any1 else has heard about this team coming from an 8 and 4 season and getting beat out of the playoffs by the 1A state runner up
Didn't their back have 2000 yards???? Who is this better back and if he is better than 2k why didn't he play last year??
I thought I'd move over and try to answer your question from the Paintsville thread. And so, I'm not sure exactly how many yrs it's been for that rivalry. Around 100 I think and it's like second or third oldest rivalry in the state. In honor of the rivalry Harlan and Pineville have come up with the 119 Bowl. Last year was the first year of that bowl game. This year it's at Pineville. Should be a brawl. By the way, My first year at Harlan in '80 was Tuck Woolum's senior season. He was a great qb at pineville along with rb Isaac Hill. Those guy's were tough. I played against his little brother Eric mostly though. He was good too. Those were the days of the Harlan/Pineville matchups. I'm looking forward to getting it all started again. Glad to hear that the Mtn. Lions are growing right along side the Dragons. It's been too long.
I'd like to see Pineville's schedule for this season. If anyone knows.
I would too, i know their first game is against North laurel at north laurel. Tuck woolum has a son that is coming up next year in high shcool football along with the great coach Bill Adams grandson, Will adams, they were highly talented when i would get board and watch them on saturdays against other 7th and 8th grade teams. The middle school team has a lot of talent coming up from what i've seen. And the right guard i was talking about that is supposebly going to campbellsville is Gary Hurst and the runningback's name is Byron Asher, he is "Big" Byron Asher's son, he played during the Bill Adams phase. Pineville and Harlan are on the rise again to be number one and battle it out like the old days. Football is going to be great in the mtns this year.
I found out that the Harlan/Pineville rivalry will be 91 yrs old this coming season. I'm not sure but probably the mountain's oldest recorded rivalry. Started in 1920.
I just found out today by some gossip around the town, that they got 2 new coaches, one from bell and one from union
I wonder if they replaced anyone or are they additional staff?
I don't know, i know their school is losing a math teacher this year because of retirement and they have had a Union coach wanting a job down there for a while now, I have no idea about the bell coach.
All the Bell varsity Coaches are staying at Bell. Could be somebody that worked with freshman or middle school??

As for Pineville in 2011, Hendrickson was the team on offense, Raby on defense. They will not match the 2010 record. They do return some players that started but they will not be able to replace those 2. I don't see Asher playing RB, he don't have quickness to do so, he however is a good football player.
apparently you haven't seen the asher kid, he played rb during their spring game and was fast as lightning, he looks like he's lost weight and gained muscle to me, i think they'll do better than what they did last year, they only lost 6 players last year anyways, and only 2 of them were worth anything, eric raby and cody hendrickson
bigdog1 Wrote:apparently you haven't seen the asher kid, he played rb during their spring game and was fast as lightning, he looks like he's lost weight and gained muscle to me, i think they'll do better than what they did last year, they only lost 6 players last year anyways, and only 2 of them were worth anything, eric raby and cody hendrickson

Bigdog1, I have to disagree with you on a couple of things. First, you said that the Mnt. Lions only lost 6 players last season. The Mnt. Lions fielded 30 players last season of which 8 were seniors( listed on the KHSAA site). You also said that a lineman by the name of Gary Hurst was transfering out. That makes 9. Thats 1/3 of the entire team. I know that with upcoming talent a good team can over come that kind of hit. So Pineville could possibly be all you say they are. I don't dispute that. Byron Asher Is a good athlete and there are others that command respect. The second issue I have is the more important one. I grant you the fact that Cody Hendrickson and Eric Raby were standouts for the Mnt. Lions. But, to say that they were the only seniors worth anything goes a little to far. #3 Brandon Hollingsworth was a major contributor offensively and defensively(was the leading pass reciever with 436 yds and receptions for touchdowns 4, was second in interceptions with 4 for the season). #88 Jordan Parks, defense, (was second in total tackles and second in fumbles recovered 4). #33 Kyle Rarrieck, defense, (had 2 interceptions on the season). #7 Quentin Ivey, defense, (had a fumble recovery for a score and was 7th in total tackles). #2 Jarrod Nunnelly also contributed, (1 recieving score, 1 fumble recovery for a score). Also, I'm sure #53 Kendall Johnson contributed in some way. Two Players, no matter how good doesn't make a team. It took 11 plus contributing for the Mnt. Lions to go 8-4 and two games deep into the playoffs. I just want to give alittle credit where credit is due.
Last year was supposed to be Pineville's best shot. Harlan only lost four players. Pineville has eight seniors listed.

Hendrickson had 2,092 yards rushing last year and Raby was second with 633. Asher had 53 yards rushing. Hollingsworth and Jordan Parks had pretty good numbers on defense and Nunnelly played a lot for a couple of years.
hde Wrote:last year was supposed to be pineville's best shot. Harlan only lost four players. Pineville has eight seniors listed.

Hendrickson had 2,092 yards rushing last year and raby was second with 633. Asher had 53 yards rushing. Hollingsworth and jordan parks had pretty good numbers on defense and nunnelly played a lot for a couple of years.
how many carrys did each kid have for these yards
Hendrickson had 198 carries for 2,092 yds. and 10.5 yards per carry. Raby had 81 carries for 633 yds. and 7.8 yards per carry. Bailey had 49 carries for 325 yds. and 6.6 yards per carry. Asher had 10 carries for 53 yds. and 5.3 yards per carry. Asher and Bailey are back this season. They both have big shoes too fill. I wish them good luck on the season.
So how many returners are back?
The Mt.Lions graduated 8 seniors. Which leaves them with 7 seniors,5 juniors and 10 freshmen returning. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that one of their linemen was transfering out also. That would make 9 gone. I think it's for sure a rebuilding year for Pineville.
A decent line returning, solid coaching staff, Roan back in his second year under center and big Asher behind him. What's not to like in that nucleus? Spinkle in some speed, and you have a dark horse worth watching.
Gary Hurst is staying at pineville. He is just playing college football at campbellsville university, supposebly. When I watched the spring game, they had him at center instead of guard. Pineville's getting a lot of bell kids down there for football. I guess its because of dudley leaving bell.
Who left Bell Co to go to Pineville?
some 8th graders from bell that played football for their middle school went to pineville.
It would be interesting to know which ones are transferring....they had some talented kids in that class .
Cox and Caldwell is still at Bell Co. They were the All-Star players on the middle school team. I look for them to see ALOT of playing time this year as freshman.
Dragonsdad Wrote:I found out that the Harlan/Pineville rivalry will be 91 yrs old this coming season. I'm not sure but probably the mountain's oldest recorded rivalry. Started in 1920.

Male Manual 1892, Mayfield Tilghman 1911, Trinty St. X 1956 are the only one's documented in KY. If you have documentation you should submit it.
Dragons renew rivalry with Mountain Lions
by JOHN HENSON The Harlan Daily Enterprise
7 months ago | 472 views | 0 | 2 | |

MISSY BIANCHI/Harlan Daily Enterprise Harlan receiver Vince Bianchi hauled in a touchdown catch during a loss to Class A power Hazard last week. The Green Dragons will play host to Pineville this week, with a home playoff game likely at stake.
slideshow Two points away from an unbeaten season through seven games, the Pineville Mountain Lions have been one of the biggest success stories thus far in southeastern Kentucky high school football.

Pineville coach Bart Elam knows, however, that all the early-season hoopla won’t mean much when the playoffs arrive if the Lions can’t end a nine-game losing streak against Harlan on Friday.

With a loss to Harlan (2-5 overall, 0-1 district), Pineville (6-1 overall, 1-0 district) will likely finish third in District 7 of Class A and again be forced to go on the road for the first round of the playoffs.

“It always comes down to this, no matter how bad your season is or good your season is. There’s a home playoff game riding on it, and it’s turned into a good rivalry,” Elam said. “Our kids know how big the game is. It’s important for the kids, fans and parents to win this game to take the next step, but I know as a head coach that our kids are playing better. I just want our kids to play to the best of their ability.”

“You hope you have a little mental edge because you have won the last several, but we don’t know,” Harlan coach J.B. Donahue said. “It still comes down to who comes out and plays the best on Friday night.”

Pineville features a ground-oriented attack led by senior tailback Cody Hendrickson, who has rushed for 1,351 yards and scored 20 touchdowns on 100 carries. Brandon Bailey has added 288 yards on 42 carries. Sophomore quarterback Jamie Roan has completed 30 of 44 passes for 675 yards with nine touchdowns and two interceptions. Senior receiver Brandon Hollingsworth leads in receptions with 20 for 345 yards and four touchdowns. Senior receiver Eric Raby has eight catches for 176 yards and three touchdowns.

“They have a senior-dominated ballclub, and coach Elam has done a good job building the program there,” Harlan coach J.B. Donahue said. “They are running the football a lot better. Hendrickson is a good running back and they do what they do very well. They have also improved up front.

“We have to try and limit what Hendrickson gets done, and we have to execute offense. If we could have 24 first downs again like last week it would be really nice.”

Harlan has featured a much more balanced offense than in years past with sophomore quarterback Ty Saragas completing 78 of 128 passes for 836 yards. He completed 17 of 23 passes last week at Hazard for 183 yards and two touchdowns.

“You have to prepare for more plays, but their bread and butter is still running the football to set up the pass,” Elam said. “I like what they are doing, but on defense we just want to play physical no matter what they run.”

The Harlan-Pineville series is one of the state’s oldest, stretching back to 1920, and will have an added prize this year with a traveling trophy going to the winner of The Battle of U.S. 119.
Copyright 2011 The Harlan Daily Enterprise. All rights reserved.
Share This Article | similar stories

Read more: The Harlan Daily Enterprise - Dragons renew rivalry with Mountain Lions
Sorry, didn't mean to print the whole article,but there it is. Not sure where the Harlan Daily got their documentation. You might ask HDE he may know.
bigdog1 Wrote:some 8th graders from bell that played football for their middle school went to pineville.

No they did not. Sorry but that is not true. They may have some students that did not play football at Bell now playing at P'ville but no FOOTBALL PLAYERS LEFT Bell for p'ville.
go mountain lions!!!