Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville's Trevor Tiller quits
Is it true did Trevor Tiller quit thats all I hear even down at the all A what is going on with Pville Tigers
NO WAY! That kid is a player. He'll be one of the best, if not the best, player in the 15th in a couple years. Well, he is one of the best now.
From what I heard last night from a really reliable source Tiller is through as a Tiger. I also understand that Burchett also has left the team. Although I would still take this as RUMOR, there seems to be some credence to the stories coming out of the Tiger camp.
Wouldn't surprise me. That program seems like a mess.
White Feather Wrote:From what I heard last night from a really reliable source Tiller is through as a Tiger. I also understand that Burchett also has left the team. Although I would still take this as RUMOR, there seems to be some credence to the stories coming out of the Tiger camp.
Tiller did quit.

Burchett did not quit.

Random.
before i get 100 ppl cursing me out I am not taking a shot at tiller i think hes a great basketball player and most likely a great young man but my gosh guys. What is it with all these babied young kids quiting their teams? look what happend at sc. I think these gentelmen need to take a step back swallow a little pride and be coached. coaches cant coach anymore because players and most importantly parents cannot seem to take criticism
I could have not said that better. Amen.
Does anyone know where he is going to play at now will it be Central or Pikeville?
phil ivey Wrote:before i get 100 ppl cursing me out I am not taking a shot at tiller i think hes a great basketball player and most likely a great young man but my gosh guys. What is it with all these babied young kids quiting their teams? look what happend at sc. I think these gentelmen need to take a step back swallow a little pride and be coached. coaches cant coach anymore because players and most importantly parents cannot seem to take criticism

I agree. I will take it a step further. It is time for the parents to let the kids be coached. :flame:
My daughter told me did in fact quit. I don't know the reason. I hate to see this, he is one of the best in this region. I haven't been to a game this year, so I don't have any clues as to how things are going on the team.
Anyone else starting to really respect Matt Ratliff?
rockymt Wrote:Does anyone know where he is going to play at now will it be Central or Pikeville?

Sheldon Clark ?

A little off topic, but does anyone know why he never played baseball? His brother played a few years in the minor leagues. His brother was one of the fastest (maybe the fastest) kid to ever play in the 15th region, can he run anywhere even close to as well as what his brother could? I know he jumps really well.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Anyone else starting to really respect Matt Ratliff?

Care to explain why you would ask something like that?
Sad to hear if true!!! To easy for kids to quit!!
It's too easy for people to blame kids for quitting. I have no idea why Tiller quit and maybe he was just not a coachable kid. But in general, people on these forums have a strong tendency to believe that kids should be willing to take abuse from coaches that most of us would never take from a teacher or supervisor.

I want to emphasize that I no nothing about Paintsville's coach and how he handles kids. I just think most people are way too quick to brand a a "quitter" without knowing any facts. What is even worse is when people know how abusive a coach is (former Clay County coach Bobby Keith comes to mind) and still believe that kids should tolerate all sorts of demeaning treatment just to be a part of a team.
I agree with Hoot,some of these coaches don't need to be around kids at all, and the thing about it is these coaches would never walk up to a grown man and say the things they say to the kids!!! I hope Tiller goes and plays somewhere, the kid can play.....good luck Trevor!!!!!!!!!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:It's too easy for people to blame kids for quitting. I have no idea why Tiller quit and maybe he was just not a coachable kid. But in general, people on these forums have a strong tendency to believe that kids should be willing to take abuse from coaches that most of us would never take from a teacher or supervisor.

I want to emphasize that I no nothing about Paintsville's coach and how he handles kids. I just think most people are way too quick to brand a a "quitter" without knowing any facts. What is even worse is when people know how abusive a coach is (former Clay County coach Bobby Keith comes to mind) and still believe that kids should tolerate all sorts of demeaning treatment just to be a part of a team.
I've tried to give you reps in several of your post lately, you must have it turned off. This is a good post. I will qualify like you did: I know nothing about how Matt handles kids, so I can't speculate on why Tiller quit.
The only thing I know and am going to say is. Don't even start with this Bulls**t about abusiveness towards kids. Because one things is for sure. Coach Ratliff is firm and fair. NOT abusive. He takes more out on himself than he does any kid on that team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:The only thing I know and am going to say is. Don't even start with this Bulls**t about abusiveness towards kids. Because one things is for sure. Coach Ratliff is firm and fair. NOT abusive. He takes more out on himself than he does any kid on that team.
Nobody said any different - but it is wrong to automatically to blame players when they quit a team without knowing anything about the situation. The kid's reason for quitting might be legitimate and totally unrelated to Coach Ratliff or basketball for all most of us know. Why blame either one before the facts are known?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Nobody said any different - but it is wrong to automatically to blame players when they quit a team without knowing anything about the situation. The kid's reason for quitting might be legitimate and totally unrelated to Coach Ratliff or basketball for all most of us know. Why blame either one before the facts are known?

I know and agree.

I just wanted to let it be known before some of these "Pot Stirrers" get on here and do what they do best. That's why I didn't quote anyone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:The only thing I know and am going to say is. Don't even start with this Bulls**t about abusiveness towards kids. Because one things is for sure. Coach Ratliff is firm and fair. NOT abusive. He takes more out on himself than he does any kid on that team.

That is why I said I have alot of respect for coach this has happened alot in his career at paintsville, and to me he handles it correctly. I would like to see Trevor come back but if it doesn't happen I will also be just fine to me this is not deserving of a thread on a internet forum.
I need to clarify what I said and meant!!!! I in no way meant to say his Coach was abusive, I don't know the coach at all, I do know that there are some (a small percentage of) Coaches that are that way, I know this first hand,I was just saying that the ones that are abusive would never say anything to a grown man, and need not be around kids at all, don't get me wrong I love to see passion about the game, I don't like to her a coach calling kids names !!!! like I said I do not know the coach, and he is probably a good person most are, so if my statement implied that he was abusive, I apologize !!!!!
Don't have a clue what happened in this situation. However, having been in the sports venue pretty much all my life and still am believe that for the most part coaches are no different today than they were 20 - 30 years ago. Probably not as rough. What I think is the type of kids we are raising, are a different type of kid. I really am concerned about the kids today having to go to work and provide for their family in the future. Sports and school is a building block for the furture. Everything in life does not go our way or theirs. The sooner they learn that the more capable they will be of handling life situations. Parents are making kids believe that they do no wrong. All children do wrong and so do parents at some time. Hope the best for Tiller and the Tigers.
Assumptions are a dangerous thing. Assumptions hurt kids, parents, coaches, teams, etc.... Sometimes, well actually most times, why a family makes a decision about their child is just not anyone else's business. Trevor is a wonderful person and basketball player, good luck to him. Coach Ratliff cares for each and every young man on his team, I do beleive that. So, maybe we should all just be supportive of our Tiger team, this is the last year some of these boys will have, it means alot to them. GO TIGERS
Lisa Caldwell Wrote:Assumptions are a dangerous thing. Assumptions hurt kids, parents, coaches, teams, etc.... Sometimes, well actually most times, why a family makes a decision about their child is just not anyone else's business. Trevor is a wonderful person and basketball player, good luck to him. Coach Ratliff cares for each and every young man on his team, I do beleive that. So, maybe we should all just be supportive of our Tiger team, this is the last year some of these boys will have, it means alot to them. GO TIGERS

Great post Lisa, and I agree 100%, good luck to all involved!!!!!