Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weights
tradition Wrote:Well , judging by his answer to my simple question, I'll take his comments with a grain of salt.:eyeroll:

Tradition, it's all good. I was just having a little fun. I went to Campbellsville University for two years, then transferred to WKU.
Real Badman Wrote:I was thinking the same thing. When I was in HS, I only had to take 4 Math/English, 3 Science/Social Sciences, 1 Physical/Health Education, 1 Art/Humanities. + Electives

He listed classes that I'm taking in college....

The following link is one from Elizabethtown High School, which happens to probably be one of the top 10-15 public high schools in the state of Kentucky in regards to their ACT scores, CATS testing, etc.

http://www.etown.k12.ky.us/Sch_EHS_Guida...%20_3_.pdf

The graduation requirements are on "page 2". Keep in mind that about all of the high schools in our state have these same graduation requirements, give or take a couple.
Harry Doyle Wrote:Tradition, it's all good. I was just having a little fun. I went to Campbellsville University for two years, then transferred to WKU.

Two very good colleges in this great state of ours.:Thumbs:
Harry Doyle Wrote:The following link is one from Elizabethtown High School, which happens to probably be one of the top 10-15 public high schools in the state of Kentucky in regards to their ACT scores, CATS testing, etc.

The graduation requirements are on "page 2". Keep in mind that about all of the high schools in our state have these same graduation requirements, give or take a couple.

Graduation requirements are lower compared to Pike County.
Harry Doyle Wrote:The following link is one from Elizabethtown High School, which happens to probably be one of the top 10-15 public high schools in the state of Kentucky in regards to their ACT scores, CATS testing, etc.

Real Badman Wrote:Graduation requirements are lower compared to Pike County.
22 credits is the state minimum for high school graduation. Many schools require more thus they offer more electives like Advanced weight lifting.
Real Badman Wrote:Graduation requirements are lower compared to Pike County.

Different districts have different requirements, but you can't really read much into that. If you look at the required Math, Science, Social Science, English, etc (all of the "core content" classes) the requirements are the same. As another poster said, the number of electives offered typically swing pendulum.

The difference typically comes in the class schedule and/or number of periods in a day. Several years ago, many of the districts (and, some still do this) went to "Block Scheduling"(4 classes @ 90 mins/day for a semester), which meant high school students could earn up to 4 credits a semester, that lead to 8 per year, which could mean 32 total over their four years of high school. Most all of the districts across the state have their class schedules set up as "Block" (see above), "Modified Block" (some credits you can earn in a semester, others can take the whole year) or your "Traditional" (6 and 7 period days that most are accustomed, too).

As for the Block Scheduling, you are seeing many school districts stray away from this because of testing results and students not being able to retain the knowledge they've learned over such a long period of time. For example, Little Johnny might have taken Algebra 1 in the fall semester of his 9th grade year for 90 mins/day from August to mid December, then isn't scheduled to take Geometry until the 2nd semester of his Sophomore year, allowing a whole calendar year to go by where Little Johnny didn't have any math; consequently he probably lost a great deal of the content learned in Algebra that he would need in Geometry. In the "Traditional" schedule, Little Johnny could take Algebra 1 for 45-50 mins/day the entire school year and only have a 2 month lapse in time (summer break) before he started up Geometry as a sophomore, using formulas, methods, etc., that would benefit him. Basically, the old saying of "Less is More" applied to this scheduling belief, and it's hard to argue with the studies/test scores as a result.

Education and the beliefs from those that run the shows are comparable to fashion, it's trendy. It comes, it goes away, it comes back.
tradition Wrote:Two very good colleges in this great state of ours.:Thumbs:

I agree, but then again I'm a little biased. :biggrin:
Harry Doyle Wrote:Different districts have different requirements, but you can't really read much into that. If you look at the required Math, Science, Social Science, English, etc (all of the "core content" classes) the requirements are the same. As another poster said, the number of electives offered typically swing pendulum.

The difference typically comes in the class schedule and/or number of periods in a day. Several years ago, many of the districts (and, some still do this) went to "Block Scheduling"(4 classes @ 90 mins/day for a semester), which meant high school students could earn up to 4 credits a semester, that lead to 8 per year, which could mean 32 total over their four years of high school. Most all of the districts across the state have their class schedules set up as "Block" (see above), "Modified Block" (some credits you can earn in a semester, others can take the whole year) or your "Traditional" (6 and 7 period days that most are accustomed, too).

As for the Block Scheduling, you are seeing many school districts stray away from this because of testing results and students not being able to retain the knowledge they've learned over such a long period of time. For example, Little Johnny might have taken Algebra 1 in the fall semester of his 9th grade year for 90 mins/day from August to mid December, then isn't scheduled to take Geometry until the 2nd semester of his Sophomore year, allowing a whole calendar year to go by where Little Johnny didn't have any math; consequently he probably lost a great deal of the content learned in Algebra that he would need in Geometry. In the "Traditional" schedule, Little Johnny could take Algebra 1 for 45-50 mins/day the entire school year and only have a 2 month lapse in time (summer break) before he started up Geometry as a sophomore, using formulas, methods, etc., that would benefit him. Basically, the old saying of "Less is More" applied to this scheduling belief, and it's hard to argue with the studies/test scores as a result.

Education and the beliefs from those that run the shows are comparable to fashion, it's trendy. It comes, it goes away, it comes back.

I'm trying to understand why you posted so much there. You really wasted your time posting that.
Real Badman Wrote:I'm trying to understand why you posted so much there. You really wasted your time posting that.

This coming from someone who has almost 5,000 posts in not even 3 years of being on this board, and you talk about me wasting my time?

I'm trying to understand why you think that opinion of yours even matters when taking in the facts above. Thanks, though.
Some people has all the nerve!!
I Like it.