Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Russell 2010
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What are you thoughts for this year's team?
I hear the returning senior class isn't too strong. But I know that they return a great junior class. I see next year's Russell team being a lot like last year's, maybe not even as good as that if they can't solve the problems at QB.
With some new blood in the coaching staff maybe they will give players who otherwise never get a second look a real chance to compete for positions solely on their abilities, when other students see this I say more students will consider playing.
Who is replacing Jones in the coaching staff ?
:football::relaxing:
The Junior class will have plenty of opportunity to play and will have to carry this years team if they want to do anything. Besides Jones retiring what other coaching changes is there. This could be one of the weakest and less talented teams that Russell has seen in a long while. But if the coaches push them off season and make some drastic changes. It will be the same ole thing. Oh yes, we will hear that Russell is going to input some new things, but we hear this every year. They know nothing else. The Junior class has the ability and heart to make it interesting. Russell might be 500 ball when it's over. This is the year for other teams to have Russell's number.
Never underestimate Ivan McGlone and Garry Morris.
Who will be under center for Russell? Didn't they trot out several last year?
Just between Me and FBALL......I hope they don't field a team this year. One thing is for sure......it's going to be rough going this year if you are a Ram Or A Devil Fan.
I say it ends up being first round playoff loss. As for the QB delima, I see either Jordan Roark or Patrick Cooper seeing how they are seniors. Russell is not very bulky but they are fast, and are showing dedication in the weight room. The Junior class will carry the team and a couple of freshman i might add, but if you want to see the Russell football we've been seeing since Josh Gross, i would give it just 1 more year
LClion4life Wrote:I hear the returning senior class isn't too strong. But I know that they return a great junior class. I see next year's Russell team being a lot like last year's, maybe not even as good as that if they can't solve the problems at QB.
Do you think this is the year that Lewis County beats Russell?
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Just between Me and FBALL......I hope they don't field a team this year. One thing is for sure......it's going to be rough going this year if you are a Ram Or A Devil Fan.
It won't be that bad at either school. Neither team is going to win 8 or 9 games like they are used to doing but they won't be terrible. Your such a glass is half empty kind of person.
Bub Lewis Wrote:Do you think this is the year that Lewis County beats Russell?
Probably not.
FBALL Wrote:It won't be that bad at either school. Neither team is going to win 8 or 9 games like they are used to doing but they won't be terrible. Your such a glass is half empty kind of person.

Don't get acromonius with me!! Can we borrow some of those Large Lineman you have up there?
i think the devils will have a good season. i think the players will show dedication and heart when the season comes around. They will surprise a few doubters.
Russell is lacking a line with size And agility. There are a few heavy kids but unless they make big changes in the off season they were slow and lacked the desire to hit. They are going to need 2-3 QB's because Ironton and Ashland will each knock one out each if the line does not progress really quickly. They need one tough runner that gets yards no matter the blocking and I'm not sure who that is going to be. Who is the odds on favorites for the Russell backfield??
Someone said there is a lot of activity in the weightroom - what kids are working out hard?
From what ive heard, this is the first off season in awhile that kids are becoming dedicated to lifting and becoming better. These players know what is being said of them. Its really easy to become motivated when there own fans are throwing them under the bus. A couple of seniors and the entre junior class is stepping up this off season. Congrats boys and continue to get it done.
I try not to talk bad about my beloved Devils but I can't get excited about this year just yet. I hope its not gonna be that much of a down season.
Just read on another site that Russell may have a new transfer quarterback? Anyone know anything about it?
justaguy Wrote:Just read on another site that Russell may have a new transfer quarterback? Anyone know anything about it?

Heard the same thing from my son who is playing this year. I don't know anything more about it.
He is a sophmore I think. I would be shocked if he played any this year other than JV. He is athletic but was the smallest on the field.
Is the new QB the same sophomore transfer from Mayfield that was discussed on the basketball board? If so, that's probably good because they obviously have a good program being in the 1A state finals last year. From what I saw from Russell last season, there is definitely an opportunity for someone new at the QB position because 3 different returning players got a fair shot at it and none of them stood out as being the obvious choice. The good thing is that those 3 guys are pretty good players and could still be utilized in other spots.

Speaking of all that, anyone know who is going to line up where (particularly on the offensive and defensive lines)?
How much does a QB really help Russell? I would think a running back would help out much more. Considering the type of offense Russell runs. But I think Russell should do fine. So should Raceland. Maybe not 9 or 10 win seasons like the past few years. But neither team plays that tough of a schedule where the wins or losses should change drastically from year to year.

The battle for the county of Greenup this year should be pretty much even between the 3 schools..
ryanparker Wrote:Is the new QB the same sophomore transfer from Mayfield that was discussed on the basketball board?

Speaking of all that, anyone know who is going to line up where (particularly on the offensive and defensive lines)?

Yes to the first question and no to the second. Some linemen are still working and haven't shown up yet and they really haven't lined up at practice. So can't get a read yet.
Ram Fan04 Wrote:How much does a QB really help Russell? I would think a running back would help out much more. Considering the type of offense Russell runs. But I think Russell should do fine. So should Raceland. Maybe not 9 or 10 win seasons like the past few years. But neither team plays that tough of a schedule where the wins or losses should change drastically from year to year.

The battle for the county of Greenup this year should be pretty much even between the 3 schools..

I think a QB who can run helps Russell a lot. Whether he have great speed, moves, or power (preferably all 3), Russell runs the bootleg play a lot when they have a QB who can gain yardage with it. Look no further back than Tyler Jones a few years ago to see how having a good QB helped Russell.

Of course, it would be nice if Russell could find a QB who could pass as well. Finding someone who could get the ball to Davidson in the air this season would be extremely beneficial.

As for your assessment of the Greenup County schools this year, I completely agree. I think Russell, Raceland, and Greenup should be about the same and the matchups between the 3 should make for some exciting games.
Russell really needs improvement on the line. Just dont see a lot of the big strong fast kids Im used to seeing at Russell. They usually always have talented skill players, but they have really been hurting for size + speed for awhile now, and it seems to get worse each year. It seemed like through the 90's the teams kept getting bigger and then hit the top of the cycle with Mcpeeks senior season or the year after. Then it seems teams have been slowly shrinking. Hopefully the cycle will start back on the upswing soon. Its tough to run the wing T without a lot of big strong athletic kids to do the blocking.
Personally, i think that there are way too many doubters for this upcoming football season. Russell has a tradition and that tradition is winning. Sure, last year wasnt the best season but it was still a winning record. Don't underestimate the coaching staff who has very good experience. I believe that if the players do a lot of work this summer, they can surprise a lot of people.
As unpopular as it may seem to some, I think the DeHoff kid looks like a prototypical pulling guard in Ivans offense
OU812 Wrote:As unpopular as it may seem to some, I think the DeHoff kid looks like a prototypical pulling guard in Ivans offense

Probably would be unpopular, but maybe the correct decision. Maybe even a tight end/ FB. He has good all around skills.
Here I am back again for another Red Devil football season. I have read all the posts under this thread and it appears some see doom and gloom for the Devils and some see a good season. One thing I have learned over the years that it seems like seasons run in spurts. The stretch that Russell had from 2002 thru 2005 is not the norm. We were very lucky to have many fast, big, and, strong players who left it all out on the field every play every game.

I watched several players the last few years who had the god given talent to to become an all state player but they were lazy. Yes lazy. No one loves the Red devils more than I do but when you watch tape and you see players just going through the motions it is no wonder we are down.

Russell will survive. This years team needs some positive leadership on and off the field, fire in the belly, and a desire to win. The rest will fall into place. Good luck Devils
Jeepman Wrote:Here I am back again for another Red Devil football season. I have read all the posts under this thread and it appears some see doom and gloom for the Devils and some see a good season. One thing I have learned over the years that it seems like seasons run in spurts. The stretch that Russell had from 2002 thru 2005 is not the norm. We were very lucky to have many fast, big, and, strong players who left it all out on the field every play every game.

I watched several players the last few years who had the god given talent to to become an all state player but they were lazy. Yes lazy. No one loves the Red devils more than I do but when you watch tape and you see players just going through the motions it is no wonder we are down.

Russell will survive. This years team needs some positive leadership on and off the field, fire in the belly, and a desire to win. The rest will fall into place. Good luck Devils

Travis Jones in a nutshell. Even though I think he may have been all-state anyway. But definitely one of the laziest, and talented guys I've ever seen. He could have been much better.
Pages: 1 2 3