Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hold Backs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
:thumb:
"basketballjones" Wrote:That class can hold back too if they want too. It's a choice of the person who's doing it and theirs alone.
:thanks: Every body has a right to their opinion and to act on it.
"WOW" Wrote:Cox is an eighth grader who should be a sophomore. He will be 16 before his freshmen year begins.
He is Eligible to play all 4 yrs. in high school!
"free throw" Wrote:He is Eligible to play all 4 yrs. in high school!

I never implied he wasn't eligible all 4 years. I simply stated - he will be 16 when his freshmen year begins.
I AGREE THAT KIDS SHOULDN'T BE HELD BACK FOR ATHLETIC REASONS, BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT IT HAPPENS. MAYBE A BETTER SOLUTION WOULD BE TO REQUIRE THAT KIDS BE 6 YRS OLD BEFORE THEY STARTED FIRST GRADE. THEN THERE SHOULD BE NO QUESTION ABOUT MATURITY LEVELS. JUST MY OPINION. Confusedalute:
Ok, let me ask this question. How many players in the area that are hold backs are playing at a higher level in college than if they stayed in there own grade and practiced harder? Sure some will say they got into Pikeville, Alice Lloyd or such that they wouldnt have if they wasnt held back. How do they know that for sure? Is that just a way to justify getting held back? If anyone in this area should have been held back for sports, or to go to a D-1 school. My boy would have been the number one choice. But he wasnt held back. Instead, he practices three times a day, sometimes spending as much as 6 hours a day in the gym to make himself better. That isnt counting the hours he spends in gyms such as the YMCA's or anything just to shoot and handle the ball. Why not try to get your kids to excell by working hard.
What makes you think they don't work hard? A lot of these boys play all year round. They play AAU and summer ball and open gym. They play on their own goals and never a day goes by with out playing 2 or 3 hours. It all works together. They don't stay back to get a year off.
"free throw" Wrote:What makes you think they don't work hard? A lot of these boys play all year round. They play AAU and summer ball and open gym. They play on their own goals and never a day goes by with out playing 2 or 3 hours. It all works together. They don't stay back to get a year off.

But how many of them has it actually made a difference for? Or is it just a year from their lives with nothing to show for it?
I can't tell you that, I just agree with letting them be at least 18 before they graduate. 17 is just too young. And how many has it hurt? Bet you can't tell me that.
I didnt say they didnt work as hard, or that they didnt put in the hours. I am just saying, if they are willing to put in the time and effort then they could go to college anyway without being held back. When did parents stop pushing their children to try harder to excel instead of telling them to take a extra year off to get what they want out of life. It could be that maybe parents dont really have enough confidence in their children anymore or something????
"free throw" Wrote:I can't tell you that, I just agree with letting them be at least 18 before they graduate. 17 is just too young. And how many has it hurt? Bet you can't tell me that.
17 is too young? Sorry to tell ya this, but we actually have 17 year olds in our military. So if at 17 they are old enough to protect this country, surely a 17 year old can pass freshman English.
Do you want your kid in the military at 17? Lots of them have been killed . I think a kid should not have to deal with war at this point in their life. I would rather keep them at home and I think some of them will go on to bigger and better things and not have to have their lives put in danger.
I was in the military at 17.... and at my last physical, my doc told me I am still alive. If parents want their children to start college at 18 instead of 17, why not just let them take a year out of studies between their high school and college years. Maybe make them get a part time job to show them just how importiant an education really is. Let them do high school level work for a year and they will want to get a better job from having a college education.

So let me ask again. How many people has being held back to play a extra year of sports in high school has either gotten a degree from a better school than if they would have worked harder in practice and stayed in their own grade. The fact is, no one can answer that question because they cant go back in time. When did it become the "in" thing to do to be held back? When did parents stop pushing their kids to excel?
This is not going to be decided here. You have your opinion and I have mine. No hard feelings on this side. Good bye
"free throw" Wrote:Do you want your kid in the military at 17? Lots of them have been killed . I think a kid should not have to deal with war at this point in their life. I would rather keep them at home and I think some of them will go on to bigger and better things and not have to have their lives put in danger.
To keep kids safe... dont let them drive, drunk drivers. Dont let them play sports period, how many have died over the years. Dont let them breath air, to much polution. Dont let them ever have a girlfriend/boyfriend, STD's. Dont let them watch TV, gamma radiation. Dont let them on the puter, cyber stalkers. Shoot, just wrap them up in bubble wrap and inject pure oxygen into them. That will keep them safe.

One quick reply about something. There are a few milestones in a persons life. Your first bike. Your first day of school. Your first kiss. Getting your drivers license. Senior prom. Graduation. getting engaged. Getting married. First born child. Who is to say as a hold back you will even be alive for graduation? Those parents that can look into the future to say there kids needs more maturity in 4 years when they graduate. How do they even know if there kids will be alive then. As a parent, I hope and pray everyday that mine will be. But also, as a realist, I know that might not always be the case. Look here in our local area as to how many children are not here anymore that didnt graduate. Why take the chance on missing a milestone in your childrens life when it isnt necessary.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:To keep kids safe... dont let them drive, drunk drivers. Dont let them play sports period, how many have died over the years. Dont let them breath air, to much polution. Dont let them ever have a girlfriend/boyfriend, STD's. Dont let them watch TV, gamma radiation. Dont let them on the puter, cyber stalkers. Shoot, just wrap them up in bubble wrap and inject pure oxygen into them. That will keep them safe.

One quick reply about something. There are a few milestones in a persons life. Your first bike. Your first day of school. Your first kiss. Getting your drivers license. Senior prom. Graduation. getting engaged. Getting married. First born child. Who is to say as a hold back you will even be alive for graduation? Those parents that can look into the future to say there kids needs more maturity in 4 years when they graduate. How do they even know if there kids will be alive then. As a parent, I hope and pray everyday that mine will be. But also, as a realist, I know that might not always be the case. Look here in our local area as to how many children are not here anymore that didnt graduate. Why take the chance on missing a milestone in your childrens life when it isnt necessary.
Talk about paranoia, who says they won't make it that far? Even if they don't, it a risk they took, and most are proud they did it. Some weren't meant to make it that far. How is that missing a milestone? Paranoid Much?
This thread is like my underwear........old,worn out and beginning to stink!!!
"sumthin05" Wrote:Talk about paranoia, who says they won't make it that far? Even if they don't, it a risk they took, and most are proud they did it. Some weren't meant to make it that far. How is that missing a milestone? Paranoid Much?
Who says they will. I was just trying to make a point that some parents are making a child repeat a year that isnt really needed to be repeated. In doing that, they are taking a year away from them.
Who said the parents are making these kids stay back? What if your boy doesn't get a scholarship, maybe an extra year of hard work in the gym would have gotten him one. You made a choice of not holding your boy back and that choice was yours, others have chosen to hold their kids back and that was there choice and again that was there right I don't see why you are making a big deal about it, unless a hold back is playing in front of your son.
I heard today that one of the Floyd County schools has their starting five and their 6th man staying back for next year. Of course my friend can't remember which team. Any idea which school it might be? I was told that a parent of a couple of players was the source.
"WOW" Wrote:I heard today that one of the Floyd County schools has their starting five and their 6th man staying back for next year. Of course my friend can't remember which team. Any idea which school it might be? I was told that a parent of a couple of players was the source.

Wouldnt they have to set out a year in this case? I find this hard to believe either way.
"DTA" Wrote:This thread is like my underwear........old,worn out and beginning to stink!!!

LMAO poor old guy
i totally disagree... im mean pikevilles daniel harmon is a straight a student...yet he will b 20 when he is a senior... thats completly unfair to other players
its bad
its not good
its really horribly ungood
its badly terribley6 awful
im serious blah blah blah
You can't turn 19 before August 1st and be elgibile to play your senior year. I am sure some one has made sure that Daniel knows the rules. As long as his 19 birthday is Aug 1st or later he is ok. Most hold backs are A students. They are kids that excel in everything.
I think all of Virgies kids that were held back are A students and always have been. I don't see why it is unfair, when anybody can do it.
"WOW" Wrote:I heard today that one of the Floyd County schools has their starting five and their 6th man staying back for next year. Of course my friend can't remember which team. Any idea which school it might be? I was told that a parent of a couple of players was the source.

Is that an elementary school or high school?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11