Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hold Backs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
As far as a child graduating at 17, I think people should not start their child in school as early.Although holding them back does help their maturity level,it doesn't work on all kids.The simplest answer here is to start them in school later.As far as holding back,it should be for academics only and not for sports.Those that hold back for academics should lose that year of elegibility to study.That would level the playing field for everyone.It would also allow alot more children to concentrate on their playing a game and honing their skills instead of playing scared because they are playing against what should be high schoolers.Just my thoughts here.
The playing field is level because everyone has the choice to hold back, but if I had a kid I would start them late.
if you start them late, or hold back, then either way, one injury and they will lose there senior year. If you dont, start them when they are supposed to start, keep them in the right grade. Then if they have a bad injury, they can be red shirted one year and still play for 4 years.
You can't redshirt in highschool. Once you are promted from 8th to 9th grade your clock starts ticking. An injury/illness which prevents you from participating in sports does not give you another year.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:if you start them late, or hold back, then either way, one injury and they will lose there senior year. If you dont, start them when they are supposed to start, keep them in the right grade. Then if they have a bad injury, they can be red shirted one year and still play for 4 years.

I didn't know you could red shirt in high school. Since when? I think you might be wrong on that one.
"Imnottelling" Wrote:I didn't know you could red shirt in high school. Since when? I think you might be wrong on that one.

I think the poster is talking about a medical redshirt.

Very hard to come by, as a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who has been granted a medical redshirt.
"HappyGilmore" Wrote:I think the poster is talking about a medical redshirt.

Very hard to come by, as a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who has been granted a medical redshirt.

In high school? Well, go figure! You learn something new everyday.
I dont know if you still can or not, but a few years ago you could if you had a serious injury or illness. In years past in order to do it, you had to miss a certian amout of days in school due to your medical condition.
"Imnottelling" Wrote:In high school? Well, go figure! You learn something new everyday.

I know one guy who had a realistic chance of getting a medical redshirt during my senior year of high school. His name is Hobie Dotson. Flat-out tough football player, leading returning rusher going into our senior year at Belfry, and as physical as they come.

We were scrimmaging Tates Creek on an old turf practice field near the Nutter Fieldhouse in LEX. A guy makes a routine tackle on Hobie and what I saw next was one of the most awful things you can see on the football field. Somehow, Hobie's foot had stayed planted on the turf while the rest of his body rolled in the direction the tackler took him. Hobie went to get up but the only thing keeping his foot attached to the rest of his body was the skin. Both bones in his lower leg completely snapped and he spent the entire school year in & out of surgery and on crutches.

I asked him if he wanted to get a medical redshirt and he said he didn't feel like he would ever be the same so he wanted to just move on with his life. Can't say I blame him either.
The injury or illness would have to interfere with the educational process. KHSAA doesn't specify on their website/bylaws the exact number of days that you need to miss - but it can't simply be because you missed a sport season. I think you still have to follow the age guidline of turning 19 prior to August 1 of the current school year. Just guessing- but I'd say KHSAA could make the process near to impossible if they chose to.

Does anyone know of any cases where a student was approved for another year of eligibility?
IMO there are only good things to come for "hold backs" in every aspect. Last B-Ball season Shelby Valley's 3 best players were "hold backs". Pat Tackett, Seth Kiser, and Kelsey Friend were outstanding Ball players 3.8-4.0 students, and fine young men who are all 3 now in college. This is my argument. For a current reference, Pikevilles Daniel Harmion is also a 2 year "hold back", and he's all the above!
"WOW" Wrote:You can't redshirt in highschool. Once you are promted from 8th to 9th grade your clock starts ticking. An injury/illness which prevents you from participating in sports does not give you another year.

Yes it does!! I know a couple of instances where it has happened. I think you have to be out of school for a certain time frame to count, but I know it has happened before in the 15th region.:thumb: I think there is nothing to lose in holding a kid back. I was a hold back and it did nothing but help me in my maturity, my confidence, and of course my athletics. I fought my parents because it was their suggestion and I had to let all of my friends go on but to this day I thank them for doing it. It also helped me get a college scholarship in a sport which if I hadn't been held back then I probably would not have even got to play. A lot of things to consider when this is done but only positives come out of it. By the way I was top 10 in my class of over 300 so academics was not a question.
I agree with hold backs. Seventeen is to young to be on your own.
"Eagle Eye" Wrote:Yes it does!! I know a couple of instances where it has happened. I think you have to be out of school for a certain time frame to count, but I know it has happened before in the 15th region.:thumb: I think there is nothing to lose in holding a kid back. I was a hold back and it did nothing but help me in my maturity, my confidence, and of course my athletics. I fought my parents because it was their suggestion and I had to let all of my friends go on but to this day I thank them for doing it. It also helped me get a college scholarship in a sport which if I hadn't been held back then I probably would not have even got to play. A lot of things to consider when this is done but only positives come out of it. By the way I was top 10 in my class of over 300 so academics was not a question.

Good post Eagle Eye
I am all for holding them back. They are going to get their education anyway and 17 is just too young to go to college. If you want to compete in sports, everybody that is any good is a hold back. So I think it should be left to the parents and the child.
"Eagle Eye" Wrote:Yes it does!! I know a couple of instances where it has happened. I think you have to be out of school for a certain time frame to count, but I know it has happened before in the 15th region.:thumb: I think there is nothing to lose in holding a kid back. I was a hold back and it did nothing but help me in my maturity, my confidence, and of course my athletics. I fought my parents because it was their suggestion and I had to let all of my friends go on but to this day I thank them for doing it. It also helped me get a college scholarship in a sport which if I hadn't been held back then I probably would not have even got to play. A lot of things to consider when this is done but only positives come out of it. By the way I was top 10 in my class of over 300 so academics was not a question.

If you notice- I stated an injury/illness that causes you to miss a sports season. Sports alone cannot be the reason you get the extra year. However it can be done - the educational process had to be interrupted. The injury/illness would have to have been severe enough to cause you to miss a substantial amount of school. Of course- the KHSAA website does not specify how much school has to be missed. I'm assuming they approve/disapprove on a case by case basis.
"Imnottelling" Wrote:I didn't know you could red shirt in high school. Since when? I think you might be wrong on that one.
You can't red shirt until college.
Clark Stepp is a hold back. He was held back in the early grade, like the 5th .
all the 8 th graders at Carr Creek [going into Knott Central] were held back so they could win the county championship last year. I don't think it is legal to hold an 8th grader back. Richardson, Amburgey, and Christian were held back. They demoted .them to the 7th grade at the the end of the year , then passed them back to the 8th.
Clinton Stepp is also a holdback. Held back in earlier grade.
Any body that is any good is a hold back. As long as they are eligible to play all 4 years of high school. They are going to get their education. They will be more ready for college at 18 or 19.
Cox is an 8th grader playing high school varsity ball. They held him back because they didn't want him to graduate at 17. He was the youngest kid in his class. Now I think that is his families business. They didn't hold him back because he couldn't play with kids his age. He could always play better. He is elgible to play all 4 yrs. of high school.
i disagree
i dont like the idea
:yesno: :watch: So
"ACE" Wrote:Disagree, if you can't compete with kids your own age then you shouldn't be able to compete. Not fair to the class under you.
i agree
That class can hold back too if they want too. It's a choice of the person who's doing it and theirs alone.
nothin wronga with them makes bad players stars just ask josh prater
"free throw" Wrote:Cox is an 8th grader playing high school varsity ball. They held him back because they didn't want him to graduate at 17. He was the youngest kid in his class. Now I think that is his families business. They didn't hold him back because he couldn't play with kids his age. He could always play better. He is elgible to play all 4 yrs. of high school.

Cox is an eighth grader who should be a sophomore. He will be 16 before his freshmen year begins.
Cox is a **********.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11