Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Urban Meyer steps down from Florida job
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I don't have any more details. Heard it while watching the bowl game.
ESPN has him saying it's due to health reasons he has ignored for many years.

Would be funny though if he accepted the Jacksonville job and drafted Tim Tebow.
Said he resigned for health reasons..... This is a SHOCK....
Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family
[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952"]Florida coach Urban Meyer steps down for health reasons - ESPN[/ame]

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

"I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville community and the Gator Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville and involved with the University of Florida.

"I'm very appreciative for the opportunity I've had to be a part of a tremendous institution - from Dr. Machen to Jeremy Foley and the entire administrative staff at UF. I'm also very thankful for the chance to work with some of the best assistants in college football and coach some of the best college football players and watch them grow both on and off the field as people. I will cherish the relationships with them the most."

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida against Cincinnati on Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bowl.
I'm in total shock right now!
wonder who will be taking the job???
Strikeout King Wrote:wonder who will be taking the job???

Steve Spurrier...naw I'm just kidding.
Charlie strong?????
Navajo4life Wrote:Charlie strong?????

I bet he's ticked that he is in Louisville now, but no, he would not do that. Too charecter driven to even consider that
Navajo4life Wrote:Charlie strong?????

That's what I'm thinking, or Dan Mullen at Mississippi State.
I'm guessing Florida already has someone in mind or Strong wouldn't have left because this couldn't be too sudden of a thing. You know Meyer has been considering it for some time now.
What about Bill Cowher?
Oklahoma's Bob Stoops may be a possibility also.
Hope everything works out for the guy, because it must be serious. You dont just suddenly leave a job like Florida.
The health reasons might be a minor contribution to why he is stepping down but i really believe that the reason why he is stepping down is because he knows Florida won't be any good next season after Tim Tebow and the rest of this Gator Football senior class leaves!!
this is not shocking to me at all...However, what will be interesting is to see how many kids decommit they commited to a program that has some of the best coaches in the NCAA and now for the most part they are gone...The next month will be interesting for the UF program...IMO they fall pretty far off the charts,
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:this is not shocking to me at all...However, what will be interesting is to see how many kids decommit they commited to a program that has some of the best coaches in the NCAA and now for the most part they are gone...The next month will be interesting for the UF program...IMO they fall pretty far off the charts,

Why don't you find this shocking?
leecoukfan Wrote:The health reasons might be a minor contribution to why he is stepping down but i really believe that the reason why he is stepping down is because he knows Florida won't be any good next season after Tim Tebow and the rest of this Gator Football senior class leaves!!

Heart-valve muscle defect, actually: Florida coach Urban Meyer steps down for health reasons - ESPN

And as SI noted in its big feature a couple of weeks ago, Meyer has known about and been dealing with the occasional side effects of an arachnoid brain cyst since 1998: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/a.../index.htm

ESPN.com's Bruce Feldman tweeted this a few minutes ago: Stunned to hear #Urban Meyer resigning, altho a coach I know ran into him 2 wks ago & said he looked so gaunt he barely recognized him.

Lots of serious stuff going on with Meyer's health right now. Hope he gets better.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Why don't you find this shocking?

Honestly I did not see him staying another year, the team he built is gone at the end of this season, you could tell against Bama that he just wasnt the same person, I could just tell he hadnt been doing so well health wise, his coaching staff hes been with forever is now gone...Basically he doesnt have much left at the UF program, I think he will take 3 or 4 years off stay affiliated with the program still get paid, mentor Tebow while hes in the pros and make a comeback somewhere for 5 or 6 years to reuild a program...
RT @osgators Just talked to a Florida staff member -- Urban was in hospital at least twice this month for chest pains, nausea and sickness.
And another tweet ...

RT @GatorBenPBP: UF recruit Gerald Christian says he heard from Miami, FSU, Tennessee and Georgia, but not UF, since news

Buncha vultures . . .

My guess they may go after TCU's coach, Boise St.'s coach (I cannot remember their names right now), or any other former Florida assistant that has recently left the program.
Jarons Wrote:My guess they may go after TCU's coach, Boise St.'s coach (I cannot remember their names right now), or any other former Florida assistant that has recently left the program.

Mississippi State's coach was Meyer's offensive coordinator at UF until he took the MSU job last winter.

And some guy named Charlie Strong. Confusedhh:
One more link ...

CBS afflliate in Orlando: "A source confirmed to Local 6 sports director David Pingalore on Saturday that Florida head coach Urban Meyer, who is resigning, suffered a heart attack during the season."

http://www.clickorlando.com/sports/22064093/detail.html
Sad thing to hear. Now Florida will REALLY be motivated to WIN their bowl game.
PC_You_Know Wrote:ESPN has him saying it's due to health reasons he has ignored for many years.

Would be funny though if he accepted the Jacksonville job and drafted Tim Tebow.

Must be heart aches from losing Tebow.
espn.com is listing Bob Stoops, Bobby Petrino, Dan Mullen, Chris Peterson as the candidates for the Florida job.
Bobby Bowden
From a human standpoint, obviously I hope he is ok.
From a football standpoint, let the pillaging of the recruits begin!! Go Noles!
Pages: 1 2 3