Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Urban Meyer steps down from Florida job
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I find it hard to picture Bob Stoops leaving Oklahoma. He even turned down any consideration for the Notre Dame job. Still yet, stranger thing have happened.
Still shocked...this come out of nowhere.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:I find it hard to picture Bob Stoops leaving Oklahoma. He even turned down any consideration for the Notre Dame job. Still yet, stranger thing have happened.

Stoops was Spurrier's defensive coordinator at Florida for three years in the mid-1990s. Not strange at all.

-----------------------

Meyer told a NY Times reporter tonight that he's been having severe chest pains for two years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/sports...ref=sports

You have to take that hint. He's very lucky.
Strikeout King Wrote:wonder who will be taking the job???

If I was going to bet I'd say Dan Mullen from MSU. His long time OC, proved he could coach this year turning a bad Mississippi State team into a pretty good team. Same offense and philosophy, perfect fit for Florida.
Dear Urban,

Resigning over health problems? LOL!

Signed,
Joe Paterno
Good luck
I wish Coach Meyer the best and hope he'll resolve his health issues,he's a great guy and Coach.Prayers and Angels are with him.
Dear Florida "Gator Nation", or whatever your calling yourselves nowadays,
On behalf of the Alabama Crimson Tide football team, I want to apologize for absolutely wrecking your team and tearing it apart from the inside out. We want to apologize for beating you all so bad, that we made your Tim Tebow cry like a school girl on the sidelines, and putting Urban Meyer in the hospital. We apologize for giving you the worst beating youve had since 2005, when again, WE beat you by 28 points. I know you go to bed hating Alabama, and I know right now, you are finding it hard to love us, and thats understandable. Please dont hate us. I mean, after all, we suffered, along with everybody else in America, from 4 years of Tim Tebow and Urban Meyer, hand in hand, on every show, at every hour on television. Please dont hate us when you are 7-5 next season, and your new coach might seem a bit clueless. I mean really, did you HONESTLY think that Urban Meyer would stick around AFTER Tebow left? Do you HONESTLY think he really left to "get healthy"?? Have you seen Charlie Weis? Charlie Weis coached Notre Dame for five seasons and he looks like he ATE Tebow and Meyer, and he STILL wanted to coach there. C'mon, dont buy into it. We're sorry to bring all of this to the forefront, and we're sorry for ruining your Christmas season after beating you all silly, we're sorry for ruining your post Christmas season for sending your coach into retirement. And we're sorry that you wont be able to hold that big BCS trophy up high during New Years. Yes, we've wrecked your whole holiday season, and for that we apologize. It could be worse, you could be a fan of Tennessee. Or Auburn. Anyways, best regards in the upcoming seasons, and please dont let it bother you too bad that you are, and always will be, second fiddle to Alabama. But it IS the SEC, so its always a good fight for second place. Happy New Years to all. Oh yeah, in case you wanted to catch our game, the national championship game is a few days after yours. Darn title games.Sad
Sincerely,
TidesHoss32 Big Grin
he knew the dominate florida days were over in my opinion he has seen what saban was doing at Bama, got scared because tebow is gone and he would be losing a few recruits to Kiffen, Saban, Brooks if UK beats Clemson so he wanted to leave on a good note Just MY Opinion
In all honesty, I hope his health concerns turn out to be okay and he makes a full recovery. And I also hope that their current recruiting class gets picked clean before national signing day. I know thats a reach, but there will be some movement. Get the hostesses ready.. Haha.
I'm not going to make fun of the guy or the program if he is legitmally ill.
He is now rethinking the decision it looks like
[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4774134"]Source: Florida Gator's Urban Meyer rethinks retirement decision - ESPN[/ame]
I hope he is not forced out by illness. I'd rather him knocked out by UC!!!!
Just announced that Meyer will not retire but will take an indefinite leave of absence
Meyer will not coach all of next season and then will take it a step at a time from there.
Florida coach Urban Meyer, who announced Saturday night that he would step down after coaching the Gators in the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day, is now having second thoughts about retirement and will instead take an indefinite leave of absence following the bowl game, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN on Sunday.

A source told ESPN that Meyer will coach in the Allstate Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati, as previously announced, but that offensive coordinator Steve Adazzio will take over the Gators and will coach until Meyer is ready to return.

Meyer, who led the Gators to BCS national championships in 2006 and 2008, is scheduled to address media members in New Orleans at 4:30 p.m. Sunday.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in a statement Saturday. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to reevaluate my priorities of faith and family."

Information from ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach and ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen was used in this report
Upon further review Coach Meyer will return
nky Wrote:Upon further review Coach Meyer will return

I'll take that bet.

This is a move to save the incoming recruiting class. That's all.

If Steve Addazio does well enough next fall, we won't see Urban Meyer on the sidelines again.
TomSportsHack Wrote:I'll take that bet.

This is a move to save the incoming recruiting class. That's all.

If Steve Addazio does well enough next fall, we won't see Urban Meyer on the sidelines again.

Its not deffinite that Urban will not be back next fall.
Muhaaaahaaa Muhaahaha..... Yes, Let someone else have an idea of what uncertainty feels like. The longer this stuff drags out the better. This will save this years class, but recruiting is going to go downhill from hear for the Gates. FSU suffered from it, and now that The U and Noles are stable and UF is the one having to answer questions that can't really be answered this could be the end of UF's run. Alabama is about to dominate the SEC. UF is going to have a vey hard time competiting with UT, FSU, UM, ALA, USC, ETC... Now instead of transitioning into a top tier replacement, UF is going to go with Adizio? hahahahaha. They have the talent alread to be good a couple more years, but no Tebow, No Strong, no Mullen, no Meyer, No Pounceys, no Hayden, no Spikes. The reign of terror is coming to an end. The onl bad thing is UM leaves undefeated against FSU.

I don't see how he coaches after saying he is leaving for health reasons. It would make it look like he is putting football in front of his health. You can;t make football your God as Bobby would say.
i hope he's ok and nothing serious will happen to him, but i do hope UC beats them.

will the Commitments that committed to Florida for the 2009 season, decommitt???
Strikeout King Wrote:i hope he's ok and nothing serious will happen to him, but i do hope UC beats them.

with that said, will the Commitments will decommitt for the 2009 season???

No, I don't see the recruits leaving. The newest reports are not saying he won't be back
Stardust Wrote:No, I don't see the recruits leaving. The newest reports are not saying he won't be back

i hope he's okay and nothing serious happens to him
Stardust Wrote:Its not deffinite that Urban will not be back next fall.

His wife said this morning that he won't be back.

It's a recruiting thing. Nothing more.
TomSportsHack Wrote:His wife said this morning that he won't be back.

It's a recruiting thing. Nothing more.

No idea on whether he'll come back, but this definitely all about recruiting. It will probably save some of them, but others will be looking around. Too much uncertainty and not very much time until signing day. Plus, we're in the middle of dead period. Get ready for "As Urban's World Turns" to play out right before our eyes.
He's going to be back, taking a leave of absence. There having a special on espn about it.
Holtz just nailed it on the head he doesnt want to hurt recruiting this is just to save face for UF
Lol, he will be back before the season starts next year, guarentee it and we will resurrect this thread then!
Just reported on ESPN that Urban beleives he will coach next season. This is one of those stories where something was said prematurely, more than likely to get a "rise". Who knows, maybe the Gators were not practicing with the kind of focus that he felt was needed for his team to beat a UC team that Florida comes in as heavy favorites
I want him to coach next year, so we can whip his *** again just like we did this year. I kinda like seeing him all teary eyed when the Tide rolls over the Gators. Come back Urban. You only have to deal with us and get spanked once a year. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3