Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bobby Knight Blasts UK Coach John Calipari
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I can't wait to see the bashing on here. Going to have to go back to the "Next UK Coach threads from 9 months ago to see who all wanted BK as the next coach are still giving him love now

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Bobby Knight said integrity is lacking in
college basketball and cited Kentucky coach John Calipari as an
example.
During a fundraiser for the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame,
Knight said he doesn't understand why Calipari is still coaching.
"We've gotten into this situation where integrity is really
lacking and that's why I'm glad I'm not coaching," he said. "You
see we've got a coach at Kentucky who put two schools on probation
and he's still coaching. I really don't understand that."
Both of Calipari's former schools were sanctioned by the NCAA
for violations committed during his tenure.
Knight, the former Indiana and Texas Tech coach who won a record
902 games, did not elaborate or take questions from reporters.

http://www.wkyt.com/sports/headlines/79587102.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story...NHeadlines

INDIANAPOLIS -- Bob Knight said integrity is lacking in college basketball and cited Kentucky coach John Calipari as an example.

During a fundraiser for the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame, Knight said he doesn't understand why Calipari is still coaching.

"We've gotten into this situation where integrity is really lacking and that's why I'm glad I'm not coaching," he said. "You see we've got a coach at Kentucky who put two schools on probation and he's still coaching. I really don't understand that."

Massachusetts and Memphis were both sanctioned by the NCAA for violations committed during Calipari's tenure.

Knight, who won a record 902 games as coach of Army, Indiana and Texas Tech, did not elaborate or take questions from reporters.

But for more than 90 minutes Thursday, Knight recounted tales from his coaching days, stories from the recruiting trail, lessons he passed along to players and, oh yes, even a new critique of the NCAA.
He makes me sick. He got infront of an indiana crowd ( who knows what kind of bully he is) and roasted Cal. Everyone is afraid of him and what he says is gospel. He who is without sin, cast the first stone. He needs to get away from sports all together and go fish somewhere. How can you do the things he has done and say anything about anyone else.
You have to realize he coached Indiana. Indiana is producing people who chant "Cal's a cheater" while their school is on probation.
Maybe in Calipari's response, he will tell Bobby Knight that we in KY don't really understand how someone who choked players and threw chairs across the court kept coaching either.
LOL, And this guy slapped players, right? :please:
Facts:
(1) UK was suspended from playing basketball during the 1952-1953 season for a point shaving scandal. Adolph Rupp was not even suspened by the university... it is widely believed that this was one of the reasons that Bear Bryant flew the coop as well.
(2) UK was banished from the NCAA tournament for two seasons 1989-90 and 1990-91 (Emery Worldwide package with $1k burst open for Chris Mills, Eric Manuel cheating on college entrance exams). *CM Newton really saved the day which allowed UK to play a schedule during this teim...they didn't get the "death penalty".
(3) John Calapari is the only coach in the history of the NCAA two have 2 different Final Four teams VACATED.

I just hope that one of these highly touted freshman recruits that Coach Cal has brought to Lexington doesn't sing like a bird of any wrong-doing once they are making millions in the NBA.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Facts:
(1) UK was suspended from playing basketball during the 1952-1953 season for a point shaving scandal. Adolph Rupp was not even suspened by the university... it is widely believed that this was one of the reasons that Bear Bryant flew the coop as well.
(2) UK was banished from the NCAA tournament for two seasons 1989-90 and 1990-91 (Emery Worldwide package with $1k burst open for Chris Mills, Eric Manuel cheating on college entrance exams). *CM Newton really saved the day which allowed UK to play a schedule during this teim...they didn't get the "death penalty".
(3) John Calapari is the only coach in the history of the NCAA two have 2 different Final Four teams VACATED.

I just hope that one of these highly touted freshman recruits that Coach Cal has brought to Lexington doesn't sing like a bird of any wrong-doing once they are making millions in the NBA.
Great post..Thats another reason why UK is known as "Cheating U", and doesnt get the respect as the Dukes, North Carolinas, Kansas', even though they are the alltime wins leader. Yes we have great history, but we also have several tarnished spots as well. Bobby Knight has never liked UK. Ever. He hated them when Rupp was there, he REALLY hated them when Joe B Hall (whom he ***** slapped) and Eddie Sutton was there. I think Pitino kind of mended the UK-IU relationship a little, but Knight has never made it a secret that he doesnt like the Big Blue. UK basketball fans (and yes Im a huge UK bball fan) are the most biased group of fans (even more so than my Bama football fans) in the entire world, and never sees any wrongdoing from its beloved University. Truth is, Caliparis teams has two final fours stripped from him for a reason, lol..like it or not. The man can coach, he can recruit, but he also hides behind the curtain when those in front of it take the fall. I love UK basketball, but Bobby Knight has a great point.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Great post..Thats another reason why UK is known as "Cheating U", and doesnt get the respect as the Dukes, North Carolinas, Kansas', even though they are the alltime wins leader. Yes we have great history, but we also have several tarnished spots as well. Bobby Knight has never liked UK. Ever. He hated them when Rupp was there, he REALLY hated them when Joe B Hall (whom he ***** slapped) and Eddie Sutton was there. I think Pitino kind of mended the UK-IU relationship a little, but Knight has never made it a secret that he doesnt like the Big Blue. UK basketball fans (and yes Im a huge UK bball fan) are the most biased group of fans (even more so than my Bama football fans) in the entire world, and never sees any wrongdoing from its beloved University. Truth is, Caliparis teams has two final fours stripped from him for a reason, lol..like it or not. The man can coach, he can recruit, but he also hides behind the curtain when those in front of it take the fall. I love UK basketball, but Bobby Knight has a great point.

This is dead-on, and an awesome post, now I look for you to get blasted, as I did when Cal was hired, by all the "He was never found guilty of any wrongdoing". Well, I drive 70 in a 55 and have not been caught either, that's doesn't mean what I am doing is appropriate.

I concur with you, Cal is a great coach, he is a great recruiter, he is a great competitor. And I too a 100% true blue, but I was certainly hesitant with Cal and all that came with his bag.

Many will say that "IF" Cal had to use unapproved methods in the past, he no longer needs to now because "He has it all". I'm going to steal from my Tiger Woods post, guy's who have it all, want even more. They can't help themselves. Just like Tiger had the greatest family money could buy, why did he look for more? Because he can, and he thrives on the challenge of skirting the edges, in Tiger's case fidelity; A-Rod's case steroids; so on, and so on. We shall see.
Hate him all you want, Coach Knight speaks the truth.........

The only thing I disagree with is the part where TidesHoss32 posted that Duke and UNC don't cheat..........really?
NEXT Wrote:Hate him all you want, Coach Knight speaks the truth.........

The only thing I disagree with is the part where TidesHoss32 posted that Duke and UNC don't cheat..........really?
Oh they do, they just havent been caught over the years. The NCAA looks at those programs as the "wash behind the ears, brush your teeth everyday" programs, while UK has been the bully. I never said they dont cheat. Of course they do (Corey Magette?), but UK has been caught several times over the years, which makes a difference today..especially when they hire Calipari, lol..
Stardust Wrote:This is dead-on, and an awesome post, now I look for you to get blasted, as I did when Cal was hired, by all the "He was never found guilty of any wrongdoing". Well, I drive 70 in a 55 and have not been caught either, that's doesn't mean what I am doing is appropriate.

I concur with you, Cal is a great coach, he is a great recruiter, he is a great competitor. And I too a 100% true blue, but I was certainly hesitant with Cal and all that came with his bag.

Many will say that "IF" Cal had to use unapproved methods in the past, he no longer needs to now because "He has it all". I'm going to steal from my Tiger Woods post, guy's who have it all, want even more. They can't help themselves. Just like Tiger had the greatest family money could buy, why did he look for more? Because he can, and he thrives on the challenge of skirting the edges, in Tiger's case fidelity; A-Rod's case steroids; so on, and so on. We shall see.
Thank you Dusty Wink
You ever think that maybe that's why Coach Knight is so bitter? That maybe he knew what was going on to his south in Lexington for years, while maybe, just maybe IU was not doing these things?

I mean think back at all the out-of-state McDonalds & Parade All-Americans that Joe B. Hall (most years underacheived with) Sam Bowie, Jim Master, James Blackmon, Brett Bearup, Derrick Hord, Kenny Walker, Kyle Macy, Rick Robey, Kevin Grevey, Truman Claytor, Lavon Williams, Chuck Verderber, Jay Shidler, Mike Phillips, Clarence Tillman, Roger Harden, Richard Madison, Ed Davender, Rob Lock, Cedric Jenkins, and Irving Thomas. They also got Winston Bennet from Louisville Male and this is when UofL had won a Nat'l Title in '80 and been to consecutive Final Fours in '82 and '83.

Knight won at a high level with half the talent most years.
For those strongly voicing against Coach Knight remember how will you feel if Coach Cal falls out of the Big Blue Graces" like Tubby or Billy did? Will you demonize him at some point. It's great to be defensive when your team is winning but will you be supportive when it's losing?
I read Bobby's comments and didn't see anything that wasn't true.
If anyone else would have made this comment, I woud respect it.

I do think that Bobby Knight was fairly clean from illegal recruiting, but the blood is still on his hands, so to speak.
nky Wrote:For those strongly voicing against Coach Knight remember how will you feel if Coach Cal falls out of the Big Blue Graces" like Tubby or Billy did? Will you demonize him at some point. It's great to be defensive when your team is winning but will you be supportive when it's losing?

Awesome post!!!! While UK is 10-0 right now lets just say they were 0-10. How would you embrace Coach Cal then?
while I agree with some of what knight said but knight has no room to talk he threw chairs at players choked players etc and is the biggest **** in the college basketball world known to man kind. I wish someone would kick the crap out of knight. Oh how I hope UK can win the national title i'd love to tell knight off in an email.
:Thumbs:
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:I read Bobby's comments and didn't see anything that wasn't true.
calipari responded to knight

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091218/ap_o...t_calipari

LEXINGTON, Ky. – Kentucky coach John Calipari says he disagrees with Bobby Knight's assessment that college basketball lacks integrity and that he is proof the game has a problem.
Calipari also said Friday he remains a "big fan" of the former Indiana and Texas Tech coach, but refused to get into a verbal war with Knight. Calipari even credited Knight for helping him perfect his "Dribble Drive" offense during a visit to Texas Tech while Calipari was coaching at Memphis.
Knight called out Calipari during a fundraiser for the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame on Thursday. Knight questioned why Calipari is still coaching even though two of his former programs have had NCAA troubles. Knight offered Calipari's continued employment as proof of college basketball's integrity problem.
How about this for integrity
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/ba....timeline/

Sept. 10, 1979: Knight is sentenced in absentia to six months in jail after being convicted of hitting Puerto Rican police officer Juan de Silva before a July practice at the Pan American Games. The U.S. team had won the gold medal five days after the incident. The government of Puerto Rico decides in 1987 to drop efforts to extradite Knight.
1981: On his weekly TV show, Knight brings out a donkey wearing a Purdue cap after showing films of a "sucker punch" involving Isiah Thomas and Purdue's Roosevelt Barnes.

March 28, 1981: After IU defeats LSU 67-49 at the Final Four in Philadelphia, Knight gets into an altercation with an LSU fan, allegedly shoving him into a garbage can. Knight claims that the fan used obscenities to provoke the incident. No charges are filed.
Jan. 16, 1982: Ohio State guard Troy Taylor claims Knight cursed at him, "calling me everything in the book," after he thought Taylor flagrantly fouled Jim Thomas. Knight and four Indiana players deny the charge and sends films to the Big Ten and Ohio State. Ohio State later supports Knight.
Feb. 16, 1983: Critical of Big Ten officiating, Knight stands at midcourt cursing at Big Ten commissioner Wayne Duke, who was sitting in the press box. Three days later, Knight publicly blasts officials for the "worst officiating I have seen in 12 years" and is publicly reprimanded.
Feb. 23, 1985: Knight tosses a chair onto the Assembly Hall floor while Purdue's Steve Reid attempts to shoot technical free throws. Knight is ejected from the game and later suspended for one game by Duke. Knight makes a formal apology.
Jan. 25, 1986: Receives a technical foul for shouting at the officials during a game against Illinois. He then kicks a megaphone and chews out the Indiana cheerleaders for disrupting a free-throw attempt by Steve Alford.
March 22, 1987: After being assessed a technical foul, Knight bangs his fist on the scorer's table during Indiana's NCAA tournament game against LSU. The university was fined $10,000 by the NCAA and Knight received a reprimand. Hoosiers go on to win the game 77-76 en route to their 1987 NCAA title.
Nov. 22, 1987: With 15:05 remaining and Indiana down 66-43, Knight refuses to let his team finish an exhibition game against the Soviet Union after he is ejected for arguing with referee Jim Burr. He apologizes and is later reprimanded by the university.
Feb. 1988: Knight fails to receive enough votes to be elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame, and later terms the snub "a slap in the face."
April 25, 1988: During an NBC interview with Connie Chung on the subject of stress, Knight utters the now-infamous quote: "I think that if rape is inevitable, relax and enjoy it." The remark triggers a protest march of about 300 people on the Indiana campus.
March 10, 1991: In a growing spat, Knight leaves the court without shaking hands with Illinois coach Lou Henson, who calls Knight a "classic bully" who thrives on intimidation.
May 1991: Knight asks not to be re-nominated but is elected to the Hall of Fame, joining Larry O'Brien, Tiny Archibald, Dave Cowens, Harry Gallatin, Larry Fleisher and FIBA's Boris Stankovic.
Dec. 3, 1991: Following a game against Notre Dame, Knight bans female AP sportswriter Beth Harris from the locker room, saying it was inappropriate for her to be there and also against university policy. All reporters were subsequently barred from the locker room.
May 25, 1992: During practice for the NCAA tournament, Knight draws national attention and protest from the local NAACP and other black leaders when he pretends to bullwhip black player Calbert Cheaney. Cheaney later says it was a joke and says the whip was a present from the players.
Dec. 7, 1993: Knight pulls son Pat, a junior guard, from a game and appears to kick him in the leg. Knight later claims to have kicked the chair, and not his son.
March 9, 1994: The coach accidentally head-butts freshman Sherron Wilkerson during a timeout at Michigan State.
March 12, 1994: After the Hoosiers' home finale against Wisconsin, Knight recites the following during Senior Day ceremonies: "When my time on Earth is gone, and my activities here are past, you can bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ----!"
March 17, 1995: The NCAA reprimands Knight and fines Indiana $30,000 for his outburst toward an NCAA tournament media liaison at a postgame news conference.
March 24, 1998: Knight receives three technical fouls in a home loss to Illinois on Feb. 24 and is ejected by referee Ted Valentine, whose officiating Knight later calls the "greatest travesty" he has seen in his 33 years as a college coach. The Big Ten gives Knight a choice between accepting a $10,000 fine or a one-game suspension, which would cause him to miss the first round of the NCAA tournament.
Feb. 13, 1999: Knight briefly feuds with Northwestern coach Kevin O'Neill following their game, with Knight later explaining he was upset with a group of Northwestern fans chanting, "Who's your daddy?"
June 7, 1999: Knight is investigated for possible battery after allegedly choking restaurant patron Christopher Foster, who said he overheard Knight making racist remarks. Monroe County prosecutors later announce that no charges will be filed against Knight or Foster.
Oct. 12, 1999: Knight accidentally shoots friend Thomas Mikunda in the back and upper shoulder while hunting, causing wounds that were not life-threatening. Knight is later cited for failing to report an accident and hunting without a license
March 17 - May 14, 2000: The university investigates Knight after former player Neil Reed claims the coach choked him during a 1997 practice. A videotape appearing to support Reed's claim appears in April. Other reports that have followed: Knight attacked a former Indiana sports information director, attacked former assistant coach Ron Felling shortly before his 1999 termination and once threw a threw a vase near an athletic department secretary.
May 15, 2000: Indiana president Myles Brand suspends Knight for the first three games of the 2000-01 season, fines him $30,000 and announces a "zero tolerance" policy regarding any future incident by Knight deemed to be inappropriate.
Sept. 7, 2000: Knight confronts 19-year-old freshman Kent Harvey, allegedly grabbing his arm and lecturing him after the student addresses the coach only as "Knight."
Sept. 9, 2000: Indiana president Myles Brand announces that Knight will no longer serve as the school's basketball coach following a pattern of "unacceptable behavior" since the zero-tolerance decree was issued.
March 23, 2001: Texas Tech hires Knight to a five-year, $250,000 contract. There are no conduct or behavior provisions in the contract.
Dec. 22, 2003: Knight goes on a profanity-filled tirade during an interview with ESPN's Fran Fraschilla about his relationship with Steve Alford, who was also involved in the interview.
Feb. 2, 2004: Knight gets into a verbal confrontation with Texas Tech chancellor David Smith at a Lubbock grocery store.
[quote=NEXT]Coach Knight speaks the truth.........QUOTE]

Yeah, this from a coach who punches and chokes kids and throws chairs across the floor. BK is a piece of trash...and I really can't imagine why you are defending him?
All big colleges recruit illegaly and some get caught. That is just the way it is. As for Bobby Knight he has as many skeletons in his closet as anybody
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:while I agree with some of what knight said but knight has no room to talk he threw chairs at players choked players etc and is the biggest **** in the college basketball world known to man kind. I wish someone would kick the crap out of knight. Oh how I hope UK can win the national title i'd love to tell knight off in an email.
I agree with what SD and TH are saying for the most part. But really? Knight threw chairs at players? I don't think that is how it went down.
thordog Wrote:All big colleges recruit illegaly and some get caught. That is just the way it is. As for Bobby Knight he has as many skeletons in his closet as anybody

Pretty bold statement, all hunh?

It's like sayting lots of people do cocaine, that's just the way it is. Makes it sound like, hey who cares about whether it's right or wrong, just go with the crowd and why should it be wrong. :eyeroll:
Panther Thunder Wrote:I agree with what SD and TH are saying for the most part. But really? Knight threw chairs at players? I don't think that is how it went down.
I watched knight choke a player with my own eyes and he threw the chair on the court which he was lucky no players were near. Since you were born in 1991 most of the stuff happened before you was old enough to know what sports was. I started watching Kentucky Sports in 1989 and watched a lot of knights foolishness over the years.
LOL - As I expected, we are all going to blast the messenger and completely gloss over the message. Too Funny
After what Bob Knight has done in his coaching career hes questioning someones integrity lol. But honestly he makes a decent point, coach Cal's last 2 programs were put on probabtion, so something is up.
Whatever. lol. Noone likes a kid beater either.
Has Cal responded to these comments yet?
Pages: 1 2 3