Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bobby Knight Blasts UK Coach John Calipari
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Cal respone was he wasn't going to get in to a war of words, he said he didn't agree with knight's comment but he admired Knight aas a coach and for helping him with the dribble-drive offense.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Whatever. lol. Noone likes a kid beater either.

Heck no, you are dead on, they want the pocker filler....
I think the big problem with Caliparis last two positions was his move to kentucky. The ncaa jumps at any chance to harm kentucky basketball. I mean wasnt the big problem a player whom the NCAA had cleared to play. Whose fault is that.
Most of the things Knight has stated is true. However, Knight is a grouchy old man who is past his coaching prime. He is no longer coaching but he had went over twenty years without winning a national championship. This could be a reflection of his honesty or it could be a reflection of his volatile temper.
GOREDDEVILS Wrote:I watched knight choke a player with my own eyes and he threw the chair on the court which he was lucky no players were near. Since you were born in 1991 most of the stuff happened before you was old enough to know what sports was. I started watching Kentucky Sports in 1989 and watched a lot of knights foolishness over the years.
And he has won more games than any other coach. Ever. Yea, he was lucky no one was there. Because he was really trying to prove a point by taking out a player. If he cared whether or not a player was in the way, he would've thrown it at mid-court. You are reaching there. The "choking" was a mistake and if Calipari, Williams, Coach K, Smith, Wooden never made any mistakes then by all means, crucify him.

You would have figured in all those years you were alive and I wasn't, you would have picked up on subject/verb agreement.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I think the big problem with Caliparis last two positions was his move to kentucky. The ncaa jumps at any chance to harm kentucky basketball. I mean wasnt the big problem a player whom the NCAA had cleared to play. Whose fault is that.

This goes way beyond Derek Rose. Cal has had incident, whether accurate or not, that date back to the mid-80's and numerous others before the Rose issue (non-issue). So no, this has nothing to do with the NCAA trying to harm UK.
stardust Wrote:heck no, you are dead on, they want the pocker filler....

lol. Smile.
Is it me or are all of the U of L fans on this board and many others in agreement with Knight? I mean come on, he knocks a few kids around and he's a stand up guy for making some dissing remarks about UK's new Coach...wow...UL fans are grasping\clinging at anything to make themselves feel better. Their football program went down the hole and slick rick can't keep it in his pants,still can't explain how they got throttled by 22 points at home to unranked Charlotte, so the Card fans are now slobbering all over themselves after every word that a child beating, tantrum throwing, washed up coach turned ESPN announcer has to say and pronouncing it as gospel...wow!
Stardust Wrote:This is dead-on, and an awesome post, now I look for you to get blasted, as I did when Cal was hired, by all the "He was never found guilty of any wrongdoing". Well, I drive 70 in a 55 and have not been caught either, that's doesn't mean what I am doing is appropriate.

I concur with you, Cal is a great coach, he is a great recruiter, he is a great competitor. And I too a 100% true blue, but I was certainly hesitant with Cal and all that came with his bag.

Many will say that "IF" Cal had to use unapproved methods in the past, he no longer needs to now because "He has it all". I'm going to steal from my Tiger Woods post, guy's who have it all, want even more. They can't help themselves. Just like Tiger had the greatest family money could buy, why did he look for more? Because he can, and he thrives on the challenge of skirting the edges, in Tiger's case fidelity; A-Rod's case steroids; so on, and so on. We shall see.
I have to agree with your post, I too was very concerned with the hire due to his past. Very concerned that the NCAA is going to keep very close eyes on UK. With that being said, I am very happy with the way he has run the program thus far; let's hope he has learned from the past and runs things on the up and up. I hope there are enough people around the program keeping an eye on things to make sure things are done the right way. As for Knight, what he said might be right, but when said by someone like him, you have to laugh.
BelfryPride Wrote:Is it me or are all of the U of L fans on this board and many others in agreement with Knight? I mean come on, he knocks a few kids around and he's a stand up guy for making some dissing remarks about UK's new Coach...wow...UL fans are grasping\clinging at anything to make themselves feel better. Their football program went down the hole and slick rick can't keep it in his pants,still can't explain how they got throttled by 22 points at home to unranked Charlotte, so the Card fans are now slobbering all over themselves after every word that a child beating, tantrum throwing, washed up coach turned ESPN announcer has to say and pronouncing it as gospel...wow!

Again, you are taking offense to the messenger, not the message. I'm a UK fan, true blue, and I can admit I disliked Cal when he was at UMass and Memphis because of all the controversy that has surrounded him. I was more than skeptical when UK hired him, but as a UK First supporter, then I will support the coach. So far, he has done nothing at UK to make me feel ill of him, but it's only 9 months that he has been here.

Now, for Knight, was he without sin, heck no. But everyone wants to take his past and use it to discount what he said. Just because he was an idiot on the court, does not mean what he said does not hold truth to it. You want to totally discount what he said because you don't like him then that is naive.
sstack Wrote:I have to agree with your post, I too was very concerned with the hire due to his past. Very concerned that the NCAA is going to keep very close eyes on UK. With that being said, I am very happy with the way he has run the program thus far; let's hope he has learned from the past and runs things on the up and up. I hope there are enough people around the program keeping an eye on things to make sure things are done the right way. As for Knight, what he said might be right, but when said by someone like him, you have to laugh.

I'm with you sstack. I can bet that he was not hired without trepdation and not without someone assigned to watch just to ensure that what has been in Cals past, stays in Cals past.
It was highly trashy for Knight to bring up any other school or coach in this rant that he was on. This was an awards ceremony! It shows what kind of person he is when he is receiving an honor and cant be gracious and cheerful. Cal isn't a saint! But by no means does Bob Knight have any room to criticize and talk about dignity to anybody about anything. Sports related or any other aspect of life. He needs to get the **** out of the media and take a long long trip somewhere. I just think its funny we have now heard BOB KNIGHT talk about DIGNITY! Somebody should have thrown a shoe at him.
Wasn't the NCAA compliance officer Sandy Bell who investigated UMASS when Cal was there. Isn't she the compliance officer for UK now.
Before Calipari met with the media, UK sports information director DeWayne Peevy told the media that Calipari would address Bob Knight’s comments from the night before. But Peevey wanted to “clear up” a couple of items of misinformation. He said that UMass was never on probation after Calipari coached there. And that the NCAA ruling on Memphis is under appeal.
If Bob Knight has become the moral compass of college athletics then a few recruiting violations are the least of our worries
Brooks4Prez Wrote:If Bob Knight has become the moral compass of college athletics then a few recruiting violations are the least of our worries
:eyeroll:
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Before Calipari met with the media, UK sports information director DeWayne Peevy told the media that Calipari would address Bob Knight’s comments from the night before. But Peevey wanted to “clear up” a couple of items of misinformation. He said that UMass was never on probation after Calipari coached there. And that the NCAA ruling on Memphis is under appeal.

And thankfully I have been caught speeding.....
And I just suppose you were a big supporter of Bob Thuggins? What a bunch of decent upstanding citizens he had at UC.
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:I read Bobby's comments and didn't see anything that wasn't true.

You are sooooo right.. except for:
1. There is no longer a "Memphis State", it is "Memphis"
2. UMass was never on probation
3. Memphis is not on probation.

In other words... basically his entire statement was false.

Now if he said "I don't see how a Coach can have Final 4's taken away at both Memphis and UMass and still be coaching".

That would be true..as it stands what Knight said was totally incorrect.

Additionally, the second the NCAA's spokesman for integrity is a man who was fired for choking his own player, well, we have some major issues.
Shady Grady Wrote:And I just suppose you were a big supporter of Bob Thuggins? What a bunch of decent upstanding citizens he had at UC.

What is this supposed to mean? I am a graduate of UC and a fan of UK. So what is your point!
Brooks4Prez Wrote:If Bob Knight has become the moral compass of college athletics then a few recruiting violations are the least of our worries
I would trust Bob Knight with my children's morals. I bet 98% of his players became better people under his watch.
WOW, he's bashing coach Cal when he's the one who slaps players and throws chairs at refs! Thats real smart Bobby Knight.............not to mention that Indiana is currently suspended right now for recruiting violations! I think Mr. Knight needs to take a step back and think about what he said and then compare that to himself because he's the one that should have been suspended from coaching not Calipari!
Panther Thunder Wrote:I would trust Bob Knight with my children's morals. I bet 98% of his players became better people under his watch.

Amen, you sure don't hear them afterwards blast him do you. Good post
leecoukfan Wrote:WOW, he's bashing coach Cal when he's the one who slaps players and throws chairs at refs! Thats real smart Bobby Knight.............not to mention that Indiana is currently suspended right now for recruiting violations! I think Mr. Knight needs to take a step back and think about what he said and then compare that to himself because he's the one that should have been suspended from coaching not Calipari!

LOL, still no one is listening to the message...
Stardust Wrote:LOL, still no one is listening to the message...

Wow maybe you still have a vandetta against Calipari. I'm pretty sure EKUalum already posted how the message that Knight sent wasn't even correct. And yeah I'm pretty sure I am going to ignore or give little weight to someone who is not credible. Has Knight done his own investigation into Cal's programs. If the NCAA found him for no wrong doing what makes Knight ALMIGHTY enough to make the statements and accuse him. Bottom line is we dont know how much Cal had a hand in the incidents from other schools and we probably never will. But, who determines who has the right to speculate guilt, mis-construe facts, and judge others based on NO evidence.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Wow maybe you still have a vandetta against Calipari. I'm pretty sure EKUalum already posted how the message that Knight sent wasn't even correct. And yeah I'm pretty sure I am going to ignore or give little weight to someone who is not credible. Has Knight done his own investigation into Cal's programs. If the NCAA found him for no wrong doing what makes Knight ALMIGHTY enough to make the statements and accuse him. Bottom line is we dont know how much Cal had a hand in the incidents from other schools and we probably never will. But, who determines who has the right to speculate guilt, mis-construe facts, and judge others based on NO evidence.

Exactly! I totally agree! Great post!
Panther Thunder Wrote:I would trust Bob Knight with my children's morals. I bet 98% of his players became better people under his watch.

Yea sure, Isiah Thomas would be a great example for morals.
I have heard and read the message, but when U-Mass and Memphis was put on probation or had wins vacated, the NCAA said that Coach Cal had NOTHING to do with any violations... So if Bobby Knight has any proof that Coach Cal did something to get U-Mass and Memphis put on probation, please give the proof to the NCAA or his new employer, ESPN.... It was Coach Cal who turned in Marcus Camby to the NCAA for accepting money from an agent... The NCAA clearinghouse cleared Rose to play at Memphis, was Cal not suppose to play Rose after he was initially cleared by the clearinghouse????

Do I think Coach Cal operates in gray areas, yes, but is this illegal? NO
kyrifle Wrote:Yea sure, Isiah Thomas would be a great example for morals.

People, if you're going to argue look at what I say. 98% means that not everyone became a better person. Good try though.
Bobby Knight is Bobby Knight,what he says and do does not surprise me. He's the same ole Bobby Knight.:ChairHit:
Pages: 1 2 3