Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Highlands again in 2010?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With the loss of an offensive line, Roller, and Austin Collinsworth, who will Highlands have to fill the "shoes" and will they compete once again for yet another state championship. Strengths/ Weaknesses?
They won't have any problems finding replacements. Highlands will win another 5A State Championship in 2010.
Sure, why not?
I would make Highlands a heavy favorite to repeat in 5A.
Highlands will be good and the preseason favorite. But I suspect they come back to the pack quite a bit in 2010.
It'll just make it that much sweeter to have to earn it against some competition. Sorry, but the last 3 years have been rather weak.
HeHateMe Wrote:It'll just make it that much sweeter to have to earn it against some competition. Sorry, but the last 3 years have been rather weak.

I'm not sure that the competition has been all that weak, or maybe Highlands was just that good.
Does Highlands replace, or RELOAD!
HeHateMe Wrote:It'll just make it that much sweeter to have to earn it against some competition. Sorry, but the last 3 years have been rather weak.

i wish they were in the 4a they would have all the competition they would want boyle and bell would give them games
rebel 4 life Wrote:i wish they were in the 4a they would have all the competition they would want boyle and bell would give them games

Highlands is the real deal, no doubt. However they would have had much greater competition in 4A this season.
I think until someone beats them they are definitely the favorite. However, I think Dixie and CovCath will give them a run for their money next year. Not saying the will beat Highlands just the games will be significantly closer. I am not a great prognosticator, but I am going on record saying Highlands loses at least 2 regular season games next year.
fballjunky Wrote:I think until someone beats them they are definitely the favorite. However, I think Dixie and CovCath will give them a run for their money next year. Not saying the will beat Highlands just the games will be significantly closer. I am not a great prognosticator, but I am going on record saying Highlands loses at least 2 regular season games next year.

Who did they pick up on their schedule the Saints,and the Colts?:thatsfunn
Has there ever been a high school team to win 4 in a row in Ky>?
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Has there ever been a high school team to win 4 in a row in Ky>?

Trinity, and maybe Beechwood.
Boyle had five between two classes.
fballjunky Wrote:I think until someone beats them they are definitely the favorite. However, I think Dixie and CovCath will give them a run for their money next year. Not saying the will beat Highlands just the games will be significantly closer. I am not a great prognosticator, but I am going on record saying Highlands loses at least 2 regular season games next year.

:eyeroll:Well, barring a coaching change, Dixie is going to be Dixie, which means they'll fumble around the whole season barely keeping their heads above water in NKY 5A, then win in the playoffs until they meet up with another NKY team. CovCath will improve, but at this point there's not a whole lot more they can do BUT improve. Highlands has too strong a core coming back to face much competition within 15 miles of home. Not all starters, but a LOT of kids who saw significant playing time this past season. If they lose, it's to a Cincy or Louisville team. And likely not by much.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Has there ever been a high school team to win 4 in a row in Ky>?

Boyle County holds the state record of 5 consecutive titles. 1999 - 2003.
now that's amazing.
Highlands returns almost 7 defensive starters so they will be very strong on that side of the ball next year. Highlands graduates 3 offensive linemen though but do have some people that can fill their shoes. Towles made great strides at QB when Bardo when down and looks to be a special player. Highlands will be good next year but won't have as much depth as they have enjoyed this past year or so but they will work that out as the season progresses.

Even though Austin Collinsworth graduates another takes his place as his younger brother Jac Collinsworth will fill his void. He is another talent waiting in the wings and is already taller than Austin. I'm sure he will have just as a successful career as his older brother. Highlands will continue to compete for State Championships year-in and year-out as they have the talent to do so.
What grade is Austin's brother in?
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:With the loss of an offensive line, Roller, and Austin Collinsworth, who will Highlands have to fill the "shoes" and will they compete once again for yet another state championship. Strengths/ Weaknesses?

I forget which it was but it was either Sunday or Monday night football but they showed highlights of the state championship game. I thought that was pretty cool that Chris Collinsworth is from Kentucky and that his son plays for one of our teams.
And hopefully he will play for UK next year.
cougarpride08 Wrote:What grade is Austin's brother in?

He's a freshman.
Cool! Looks like another Collinsworth will get them another championship.
Why doesn't Dale try and schedule a regular season game between JC, Hardin, or Bowling Green? They've scheduled teams like Hopkinsville in years past so distance wouldn't appear to be an issue?
BaseballIsLife Wrote:Highlands will continue to compete for State Championships year-in and year-out as they have the talent to do so.

Highlands is going to have down years. Check 2005 and 2006 for example. Second round playoff exit and 3rd round playoff exit. Highlands will always be good, but since exiting the playoffs in 2006 most people at Highlands knew they had a ton of talent for the next 3 years. If i'm not mistaken, the 2010 Highlands seniors have not had the success as frosh and sophmores the 3 classes in front of them had. It is the reason i'm predicting Highlands will not repeat in 2010. They will be good, but not state championship good.
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:Why doesn't Dale try and schedule a regular season game between JC, Hardin, or Bowling Green? They've scheduled teams like Hopkinsville in years past so distance wouldn't appear to be an issue?

I do not think you want to play a potential playoff team in the regular season. Highlands has the better coaching staff (In my opinion), and you do not want the opponent to get a good look at you if it will help them in the playoffs. Let's get a game with a St X, Trinity, Lone Oak, Boyle, Ect; plenty of good teams outside of 5A.
Thunder Lips Wrote:If i'm not mistaken, the 2010 Highlands seniors have not had the success as frosh and sophmores the 3 classes in front of them had.

This would be correct. They were the first team to not go undefeated as freshmen for, I believe, 3 or 4 years. I don't know the exact amount of years, but I do know they broke the streak.

Some Highlands players have already hit the weights and are preparing for next season, so hopefully they keep the hard-working mentality and bring home a 4th straight championship.

I may be a bit greedy here, but I would hate to have championships my freshman-junior year but not senior year. :biggrin:
Captain Backdoor Wrote:I forget which it was but it was either Sunday or Monday night football but they showed highlights of the state championship game. I thought that was pretty cool that Chris Collinsworth is from Kentucky and that his son plays for one of our teams.

Cris Collinsworth was born in Dayton, OH and grew up in Titusville, FL. His Ohio roots are what made him and his sons such good football players. :biggrin:
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:Cris Collinsworth was born in Dayton, OH and grew up in Titusville, FL. His Ohio roots are what made him and his sons such good football players. :biggrin:

Cris was born in Dayton but..... His father is a KY boy from Salyersville who played B-Ball for Adolph Rupp at UK. he got his first teaching job in Dayton and that is why Cris was born there.

Austin & Jac's Momma is from Fort Thomas, she grew up there and went to Highlands and UK (Cheerleader). She was also athletically and academically VERY gifted. Her sister was a DII All American in both swimming & diving in college (Wright State) Her brother was the tailback on the 81 & 82 Highlands state championship teams. 1st team all state (along with Marc Logan and Mark Higgs) and led the state in scoring in '82

Its the Ky Mountain and Fort Thomas roots they owe it all to. :biggrin:
Pages: 1 2 3